Rebuilding a 1977 Ouachita

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I can finally put a done stamp on the whole painting phase! I have a couple of spots that i want to touch up but other than that I'm done. I have a can of 3M rubberized undercoating that i'm thinking about using on the floor in the bow where it's going to be decked over. Not sure how well it'll work so i'm going to try a small area first before full tilt with it. I learned my lesson by painting over the flexsteel 9x epoxy. I epoxied the bottom and also ran it up about 6 inches on the side of the boat. Since it's a couple shades lighter than the battleship gray I'm using i thought i would just paint it. Well a few days later it's still tacky and comes off easily with a light rub of mineral spirits, so now I faced with either cleaning it all off or just leaving this tacky mess in place. ](*,) Oh well live and learn.

Picture158.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Picture154.jpg

how did u paint your boat, just roll on ?? cuz it looks like sprayed? looks beautiful!!

The whole boat was painted using a 4" foam roller and throw away chip brushes. Not too bad considering me and a buddy we were half in the bag when we decide to start painting the interior around midnight last night. :lol:

You should start a new company,Half in the bag boat painting inc.Looks good.

I started to build some hatches but I found some at a local boat surplus depot for cheap so I just couldn't resist. I've got the back squared away and will tackle the bow tomorrow. Once I get all the holes cut for everything I'll get paint back to paint duty (YIPPEEEE :roll: ) and put on a couple three coats of wood sealer before I start with carpeting.

Picture162.jpg

Picture164.jpg

Picture165.jpg

Aside from cutting a hole for the switch panel I'm just about done cutting holes, which is good because I may be working on this old boat, but Bob Vila I'm not which became painfully evident when I took a look at the alignment of the very front hatch after cutting the hole out. #-o I'm not sure what happened but I know that I had quite a few lines drawn on the wood. I must have used one of the wrong markings that I had as a center line. I had to measure it a couple of times to get it right but that don't do much good if you still use the wrong line. Next time I'll make sure i scribble through the wrong lines. As long as the fish don't notice I should be in good shape. :lol:

Picture169.jpg

Picture171.jpg

I finally started carpeting tonight. I was pretty stoked about being able to find boat carpet at Lowes since it's way cheaper there then any where else I've found. This stuff is also pretty plush compared to most of the other outdoor carpets that they had for sale. I still have the floor and the front deck to carpet.

Picture172.jpg

Picture173.jpg

I finally have both decks and the center floor part carpeted. I had originally planned on painting the 4 pieces of plywood that are used to box in the center area. I ended up having some extra carpet and threw a piece over the side to see what it would look like and now I'm torn on whether or not to carpet the 2 sides panels. I took a picture with the carpet draped over one side and the other is plain wood (well it's a little darker from Spar Varnish) but if not carpeted they would get painted the same color as the rest of the boat. Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on why I might want to go one way or the other?

Nothing is bolted down yet but this is the general idea of how its going to look once completed.

Picture174.jpg

Picture176.jpg

Picture175.jpg