ND's CRAWDAD Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicdicarlo

Reaction score
Ok, so taking advantage of the relatively nice weather, I decided it was time to begin work on laying out the new floor in my Crawdad. I few weeks ago, I gutted the whole boat of all the undesirables: trolling motor bow mount, original floor boards, some floatation foam and other plastic that was just getting in the way. I left the transom mount I built a few years back, but may just replace that as well since I have a lot of scrap. I took measurements of all the important dimensions, and came up with a scaled diagram for my floor layout...
IMG_1848.jpg

Here's what she looked like after the gut...
IMG_1849.jpg

I wanted to do one continuous piece of plywood from front to back, fitting around all of the seat posts. I got the idea to remove the seats, make measurements to the center of the seat posts, use a hole saw to cut holes for the posts, install the wood, and reinstall the seats. This would give me a stable platform, as well as minimizing the surface area of ply edges that would result from installing multiple floor panels around the seat framework. All cuts were made with a cordless circular saw. The hole saw cuts were 2.25" in diameter to give me some breathing/mistake room. My measurements were pretty accurate. We'll see how it fits when I button everything up. Here's how the wood fit...
IMG_1856.jpg

While waiting for my batteries to recharge, I had a nice lunch of leftover Ravioli and meat sauce. There’s always a nice pasta creation in the fridge at my mom’s house, the Crawdad’s current storage grounds. Next I laid out the new pieces for the trolling motor bow mount. I basically recreated what I had previously built, but bulked up the front section slightly to tie the mount into some additional frame screws and add room for some eyelets if I want....
IMG_1855.jpg

Here's how the motor mount will look installed....
IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

The next step was to round of the corners of the floor and motor mounts with a jig saw. I wanted to reduce the number of sharp corners for rope, line, etc. to get snagged on...
IMG_1857.jpg

Finally, I installed "L" brackets to the ply. The brackets will be secured to the seat posts with self tappers. This will reduce the number of fasteners I will have to use to secure the ply to the bottom frame work. I didn’t want to go with a floating floor, since the boat will be store upside down quite a bit....
IMG_1860.jpg

The next step will be some final sanding and applicaiton of the polyurethane coatings. I will then apply some grip tape to the high traffic areas. Here's what I purchased for the sealant (Helmsman Spar Urethane)....has any one ever used this product?...
IMG_1847.jpg

Next, I admired my creation….
IMG_1862.jpg

I used two new tools for this project: a cordless 19.2Volt 5.5” craftsman trim saw and a cordless 19.2Volt craftsman jig saw. I was very happy with both tools. Both saws cut through the plywood with ease, especially the circular saw, and the laser guides were a big help since I was unable to find a suitable straightedge in the basement. I would highly recommend these items. I'll probably finish up within the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty happy with the first phase. Updates soon!

Thanks guys! I'll post some more pics as I proceed. I am going to try and use the scrap ply for some more "custom" additions. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

Great job! :) . I've used the Helmsman Spar Urethane before on outdoor furniture. Lasted fairly well for about two seasons with the furniture out in the sun, wind, rain, snow, etc. It started flaking a bit after that, but just needed a fine sanding to feather the edges of the flaking part, then re-applied some more Helmsman :)

Nice job nic, I think we're all looking forward to the second phase, keep up the good work an keep those pics coming.

Ok, with nothing to do, and no football to watch this past sunday, I figured I'd put in some more time on the Crawdad. My original plan was to sand and prep for sealing all of the wood I had cut a couple weeks ago (floor decking and bow TM mount). However, I couldn't find the sander, so did a "mock up" of the boat with the floor installed and drilled my holes to secure the flooring to the frame rails. I made sure I stayed directly over the center of the round frame rails by keeping my pilot holes close to areas where I could see exactly where the rails were. My screws were a hair long so I'll have to buy some shorter ones so they drive down flush with the wood. Using the pilot holes through the wood kept the bit in place over the round rails...
IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

Then I ripped off the old transom mount I built years ago and cut out some of the left over 5/8" ply for a new mount to support my new/previously owned minkota 36lb thruster (picked up from a buddy, never used for $85 bucks!) From the back...
IMG_1905-1.jpg

...and from the front...
IMG_1906.jpg

I still had a good bit of left over wood, so I cut out some extras. First, I made a depth finder mount for the bow. I nested it in one of the existing front trays and raised it up a few inches so the guy in the back could see it better...
IMG_1914.jpg

I would like to get the boat out on our local river for flatheads, so I needed a way to set it up for bait fishing, anchored from the bow, facing back. The guy in the back will have plenty of room to sit on a cooler or even a camp chair, but I needed to make a seat for the guy in the front. I cut a piece of wood to span the width of the boat, supported by the gunnels. I'll use a nice cushion, and I'll be set. I plan on attaching rod holders to the seat suppport rails, two in the front and two in the back, that way, 4 rods can be fished at once. Here's the bench, complete with depth finder cut out and drink holder...
IMG_1912.jpg

It will wedge into place something like this (not sure of exact construciton yet)...
IMG_1911.jpg

I am now ready to sand and seal. Would it be advantageous to use a product like Thompsons water seal before using the Helmsman spar urethane? I have some layin around so I figured I would use it if I needed to. What do you guys think?

Looks really good NicD! I am sure you are super anxious to fish after getting this far, winter sucks!

i woudl not use the Thompson Water seal before you apply the Helmsman spar urethane. The Thompsons primary ingredients are wax combined with a super wetting agent. The small molecule super wetting agent helps penetrate thereby, infusing the wax molecules into the material. Generally, the super wetting agent evaporates leaving the wax molecular protectant.

Most likely the wax will prevent the urethane from adhering to your wood. Try it on a scrap piece 1st!

I kind of thought the Thompsons would prevent the urethane from adhering properly. I don't think I want to risk it, unless I hear otherwise. I think I'll probably just use multiple urethane coats with light sanding in between.

I am anxious. I just got my PA registration in the mail last week. I can't wait to get her in the water.

I agree with Dave, don't use the water sealer. If I were you I would sand then raise the grain, wait a day then sand a little more. This will make the coverage much more uniform, and don't forget to hit the end grain with many more coats, it will suck up the urethane big time. The endgrain is the easiest place for water to enter.

This project looks great and will definately be a killer fishing machine. Nice work

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably get around to sanding it this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Where did you mount your transducer for you fish finder? I am not a big fan of Thompsons Water seal

I put a wood floor in my Crawdad a couple of years ago.I covered it with Herculiner(Rinoliner) all around..It looked pretty good but weighed a ton..
It kind of defeated the purpose for my boat.I use it for little ponds and strip pits where we have to carry the boat in and after the flooring was in it was a back breaker..
This year I'm going to try another route,I'm going with 2" blue foam sheeting then on top of that pebbled vinyl sheeting..hopefully it will be easier to carry..

Please let me know if you do take your plywood out and change it. I have the same boat, reallly like how he did the plywood, but I also carry mine and was thinking it may add too much weight. Please keep me updated and send any pics. Also like to see his when he gets all done with the plywood and put back together.

He has finished pics under the Jon Boat Conversions page...looks good
The wood floor really makes a difference if you stand up and fish