ND's CRAWDAD Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I haven't been on Tinboats for a while. I wanted to check on this thread and its good to see that its still kickin'. So far this year, I've only had the crawdad out a few times, but the plywood is holding up extremely well, both the floor and the motor mounts. Regarding the transducer, I just have it mounted to a piece of wood I cut to fit against the side of the boat. I clamp it to the side rail using one of those red clamps I used during the construction process. It works well because I break down the motors and electronics after each use and store the boat upside down to keep water out of it and off of the wood as much as possible.

Oh yeah, thanks for recommending this thread to another crawdad Nic (Nickk). By the way, the site looks awesome Jim.

I've got the very same boat. Real curious if you had any ideas for anchors? I just have cleats on the sides of mine, but did buy two anchor reins to atleast hold the rope. Great job on the boat also.

twds, if I'm lake fishing, I generally don't anchor unless its really blowing or I'm just chilling out for lunch or something. I do plan on using the crawdad for flathead fishing in my local river this year though, which will require me to anchor up. I got a 12lb river anchor (plenty of weight) that I have been tying off to the front trolling motor mounting bolts. It seems to work oK, but its not the most streamlined method. There's not a whole lot of room to mount a cleat on the front. Where do you have yours mounted?

The Helmsmans is a great Product!! I would not use the waterseal as this will inhibit penetration of the varnish. 2 coats will do the job!! looks great!!

I mounted two cleats on mine, one front right and other left rear. I just bolted them to the top edge of the boat (I assume your's is like mine, metal running around the top edge), but since then have purchased two anchro reins. I use window weights, so I am now in the process of cutting pvc pipe, approximately13", height of the boat, and cutting a hole in a small sqare piece of plywood, mounting the pvc pipe in that hole and then attaching the anchor rein to the plywood. In the back the plywood piece will fit tight against the metal bar running across the rear seat and back of the boat, will use a clamp to hold the front one in place. Are you familiar with the anchor reins? Have not used them yet, just purchased two of them from ebay. I can send pictures of my boat if you would like? Thought about putting plywood in mine like yours, but didn't want the weight, carry my boat to some strip pits. Also just purchased a Bulldog foot control trolling motor for the front of mine, working on running the battery cable to the front.

Didn't mention, the pvc pipes are to hold the window weights when not in use.

twds, I'm not familiar with the Anchor reins? What do they do? Also, are you using the window weights as an actual anchor or are you using them to control your drift, like a drag chain?

twds said:
Where did you mount your transducer for you fish finder? I am not a big fan of Thompsons Water seal
I use a two part epoxy to mount tranducers in the bilge area of fiberglass boats. I would think that it would work the same on a crawdad. Make sure that there are no air bubbles in the epoxy and that it will bond with the hull material. This keeps the hull exterior smooth and protects the transducer from a beating.

My crawdad must be older it has a cast aluminum transom motor mount
Looks like a great job though

I am posting this link to the thread with the completed images and story for ND's Crawdad. I had to do a search under his name to find the thread and figured since I've already done the work I would post it here for everyone's ease...

ND's Crawdad is Complete...Finally

Plus this thread hasn't been resurrected in about two years! Great build, as always ND!