Resurrecting a 1652 MonArk

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
basshunter25

Post by basshunter25 »

Looks good. Awesome boat to work with. Look forward to progress.
Tracker Sportsman 1648
Still working on her...
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=13795
Shorelandr Trailer Restore
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=13484

lbursell

Post by lbursell »

Thanks, guys. I never really thought about just how much intricate detail there is to a trailer until I broke it down to all the various parts. I knew when I started that this project would take at least a year. Now, I'm realizing that I'm gonna have to re-vise the estimate. I just work really slow and, as the saying goes, "The devil is, indeed, in the details." But, I am having a therapeutic blast.
Resurrecting A 1652 MonArk
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=16589

I've grown used to doing stupid things, I just try not to have witnesses.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

I can't believe how good those wheels look. What an amazing restoration of that trailer. I cant wait to see the job you do on the boat.

skimsucka

Post by skimsucka »

WOW talk about gettin to work Awesome job keep those pics coming! I think alll new vehicle production should be shut down for 5 years so everyone can rebuild save and use what we have!! no need for this throw away system
1994 Tracker Tadpole 12' with EZ loader galvenized trailer and 40lbs Minn Kota endura as well as 7 Hp Eska
RJ

basstender10.6

Post by basstender10.6 »

great work! i cant wait to see the boat.
2000 Procraft 190 SuperPro
2000 Mercury 175 EFI

lbursell

Post by lbursell »

Here At Last! Its painting day for the trailer frame. I had every thing laid out in the garage, then decided I didn't want to go to the trouble of turning the entire garage into a big paint booth.

So, I loaded every thing into the back of the truck for a trip to the carwash to get rid of any last bits of dirt or oil residue.

Back from the carwash and ready for primer. I had a low volume spray gun that I borrowed from my Dad to do the spraying with, but my little pancake compessor just didn't have enough "oomph" to do the job.

So, a quick trip to Wal-mart and I bought a Wagner Power Painter. More about that thing in a minute. This is the primer I used for the galvanized metal.

Every thing all primed and looking pretty good.

These are the saw-horses I used while spraying with the Wagner Painter. Notice the amount of overspray. There's also a huge spot of much lighter concrete on my driveway.

Sorry, but I've got to rant here. :evil: I will never, ever recommend the Wagner Power so-called Painter to anyone. If you don't hold it exactly level, it loses suction. Despite have everything set at the lowest possible volume, it still spewed out clumps of paint. No matter which nozzle setting I used, there was no way to avoid enormous overspray. With the amount of area I needed to paint, I should have been able to prime at least two trailers with the one can of primer. Instead, I had to use a full second and part of a third can to finish the job. When I was done, I completely cleaned the worthless piece of junk exactly according to the instructions and took it back to Wal-mart. Told them that they should be ashamed to sell that kind of stuff to the public. I figure they must have been used to hearing that, 'cause they refunded my money with no questions asked. As I posted on another thread, If you offered me a T-bone steak with the name "Wagner" on it, I'd rather go to McDonalds. And, I am no fan of that clown, either. I will never buy another Wagner product again.
OK, its out of my system; Rant over. 8)

While the primer was drying, I decided to paint the trailer guide-ons.

The guide-ons got Krylon Fusion paint for plastic and PVC.

Redneck paint booth in action.

All the frame parts back in the garage, ready for top coat. After my adventures with the sprayers, I decided that low tech rollers were my best route.

Valspar Tractor/Farm Implement Paint from Tractor Supply. The little trigger attachment for the spray cans is great. Makes using the cans so very easy. I used the spray cans for the little nooks and crannies that the rollers couldn't get into.

And the pay-off.

A little re-assembley and tires, wheels, fenders and frame all coming together. This is why we do it.

I like this blue. The boat and the trailer are going to be the same color. This is a sample of the HydroTurf mat that the decking will be covered with. I'm gonna try the HydroTurf instead of carpet. I think the blues match each other pretty good.

Next up, bunks and bunk carpetting.
Last edited by lbursell on 02 Apr 2011, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

fender66

Post by fender66 »

Simply amazing job. =D> =D>

And I too will never recommend the Wagner sprayer. [-X
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

bm3dufner

Post by bm3dufner »

looks awsome way to take your time.

alanbird_87

Post by alanbird_87 »

Trailer looks very god! =D> Already u have came a long ways.

Oldgeek

Post by Oldgeek »

Nice job on the trailer. Disassembling it was the right way to go. I just wire wheeled mine, primed it with rust restorer and painted it. Mine "looks" okay but I know I should have taken it apart. I am running out of time to get the rig ready to fish this year so I cut some corners. I can't wait to see what you do with the boat. =D>
I never learned a single thing while I was talking.

A 1989 Lowe 1640 Jon on a 1967 Art Roll trailer powered by a 1970 4 HP Mercury... no, I'm not in a hurry.

lbursell

Post by lbursell »

Thanks to all for the compliments. If anybody sees me doing something wrong, please feel free to let me know. This is not my first boat, but it is my first boat modification project. And, I don't come from a boating family, so I didn't grow up with this stuff.

Oldgeek, you are right - taking it all the way apart was definitely the way to do it right. I'm making myself try to make it right every step of the way and still stay within a reasonable budget. Without winning the lottery, this is my last boat. The hope is that, once its done, its completely done - with no do-overs required - and she'll do everything I want her to do. My mind-set on this is to make every effort to build it so that it will last me until my last fishing trip (hopefully a couple of decades away) and, then, if one of the kids wants her, and I haven't sunk her, she'll be their project boat.

Brine

Post by Brine »

Looks great man.

Curious, did the Toyota happen to catch any of the overspray? [-o<

lbursell

Post by lbursell »

Brine wrote:Looks great man.

Curious, did the Toyota happen to catch any of the overspray? [-o<

Thank you. Actually, yes. But, it was far enough away that it was just a very few tiny little micro-beads of paint. It was like they were already dry on the outside so there was no adhesion to the truck paint. Rub your hand over them and they just came away.

ohiolunker

Post by ohiolunker »

Nice color choice on the trailer. Looks good.

Ouachita

Post by Ouachita »

Love the blue. Can't wait to see what you do to the boat!
Genesis 1:26a Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea...