1969 14' Rich Line Model 15

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
medicman619

1969 14' Rich Line Model 15

Post by medicman619 »

Hello everyone! I am new to Tinboats after buying a 1969 14' Richline with a 1959 Evinrude 5.5HP Golden Jubilee Edition. This is my first boat, and I hope to enjoy it for years to come. This boat has so much potential, its hard to know where to start! I can't wait to get started, but this subfreezing weather is holding me back. Here are a few pics. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by medicman619 on 04 Apr 2013, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

jasper60103

1969 14' Richline Semi-V Mod

Post by jasper60103 »

That's a nice rig. Love that old rude motor.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

Thanks Jasper! It was tuned up a couple years ago and runs great. It has character to say the least!

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

What do you guys think? Is my boat a Challenger?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

Better late than never! I finally started working on my boat mod. I started removing the 4 layers of paint on the bottom of the inside, the outermost layer being a thick black bedliner paint that was peeling everywhere. I didn't take any pictures right at the begining, but you can see from some of them what a mess it was to remove. I used a chemical striper, but mostly a small wirewheel on my electric drill to do most the work. I removed the seat tops today, which were rotted. I have oxidation on the bottom inbetween the seat supports. Any suggestions on how to remove that? There is no paint, just oxidation. Enjoy the pics! I forgot that you had to upload them from newest to oldest. Opps! #-o

C.U. Fishin

Post by C.U. Fishin »

I have that same boat. Nice find on the ad from 1957, that just so happens to be the year of my boat as well. That ad is going to get printed, framed and hung up in the garage.

Even though your boat is 12 years newer it looks exactly the same as mine, I couldn't see your drain plug but maybe it was changed, mine is 1 1/8" instead of 1" so it was a pain to find a plug that fit.
Have you had it out yet? I'm guessing you will want more power if you're on a lake of any size at all. I had a Scott-Atwater 7 1/2hp motor on mine first time out and couldn't come close to getting it up on plane. Now it has a '71 Evinrude 25hp on it that seems just right for that boat.
14' Richline semi-V
25hp Evinrude
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13949

If I had a nickle for every fish I've ever caught I'd just spend it on more tackle and boat stuff.

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

Thanks for the reply! There is a pic of the drain plug, it's the first one on the list. I have the original plug for it, so I haven't had to shop around for one. I hope to sell the 5.5 Evinrude for a newer 9.9 some day. I had her out for a leak test when I bought her, but after all the grinding to get the paint off, I'm gonna have to test it again!

C.U. Fishin

Post by C.U. Fishin »

When you do your leak test something you may want to try on any rivets that are leaking is to warm up the area with a heat gun or propane torch, one thing Richline did was to put some kind of sealant on the seams along the rivet lines. Sometimes if the leak is small you can re-flow that sealant and stop the leak, you may still want to re-buck the rivet to tighten it up but I had a couple really small leaks that disappeared just by heating them.
14' Richline semi-V
25hp Evinrude
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13949

If I had a nickle for every fish I've ever caught I'd just spend it on more tackle and boat stuff.

JFDBasser

Post by JFDBasser »

Really cool boat. Looks like a nice project. That outboard is sweet looking. I'd love to find something like that in a 15hp.

Is your drainplug a threaded hole in the bottom? If so you might want to try a brass 5/8" threaded plug from the plubing section of the hardware store, thats what fit my boat for a replacement.

Good luck with the build.

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

Here is some progress with the wire wheel. I had a quote done to have it soda blasted. $450+ just to do the outside. I think I'll keep on spraying, scraping, and wire wheel'n! It's actually kinda theraputic...a labor of love. I'm sure all of you know the feeling. Just can't wait till this phase is OVER! :?

Critter

Post by Critter »

Lookin' good! \:D/

medicman619

1969 14' Rich Line Semi-V Mod

Post by medicman619 »

Finished up the outside today. Still need to flip it over and finish the bottom. I uncovered a small tear in the hull that was covered up by some sheet aluminum and screws. It's about 2-3 inches long. Any suggestions on repairing that? Second question is about the metal brackets from the sides down to the seat tops. The seats are still attached to the sides, but it looks like these brackets are for extra supports.

"Switchback" removed them on his mod, and I tried to ask him about it, but I noticed he hasn't been on here since last year.

Here is his mod of a Rich Line: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =21&t=1600

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

Made a little progress over the last couple of weeks. Removed the old transom that was treated lumber and all of the hardware including the side brackets. I think I will replace the brackets because the sides are much less rigid now without them. After reading and searching about replacing the transom, it sounds like sandwiching marine grade plywood coated with a few layers of resin is the option most people are using. I was thinking about poplar wood or something along those lines covered with resin. Any suggestions?

spinfisher

Post by spinfisher »

Looks like alot of work and you got quite a start can't wait to see it when it's done!

medicman619

Post by medicman619 »

In the last month or so I was able to flip her over and completely wirewheel the bottom. Without having my steelflex yet, I decided to start work on my deck framing. I found a recycling center that had what looked like brand new angle aluminium for $1.50 per pound. The progress is slow, but I try to work on it in my spare time. I am not in a rush, and want to think eveything thru before I make a big mistake. I plan on doing quite a bit in the next week including framing two or three storage compartments up front. Pictures to follow.