1954 12' Lifetime Aluminum Boat build

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
bobberboy
Donor

Post by bobberboy »

jpfieber wrote:
VinTin wrote:That boat was made by Reynolds and is a collectible.
Certainly looks a lot like mine, but the badge on mine says "Neuenfeldt & Dickmann Co, Inc", in Grafton WI. Perhaps there's some link between the companies. In any case, thanks, gives me some avenue to explore!

Oh, and I noticed the ad says no hull rivets, but on mine, the stringers on the bottom are riveted to the outside of the hull.
Reynolds is a maker of aluminum and as such may have been promoting the virtues of boats made of aluminum. Many companies manufacturing raw materials will advertise products made by them so it's possible the above ad was not selling Reynolds boats but rather boats made of Reynolds aluminum. It may be that they just used this particular boat to do so.

jpfieber

1954 12' Lifetime Aluminum Boat build - More Stripping

Post by jpfieber »

Here's what I'm using for stripping, seems to work well, and it's relatively safe to work with.
2015-10-18 12.29.22.jpg
2015-10-18 12.37.14.jpg
2015-10-18 12.44.10.jpg
1954 12' The Lifetime Aluminum Boat
1954 Mercury Mark 20
1982 Mercury 7.5

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Nice work on the bow!

I'm thinking, maybe, if you got a new eyelet for the bow and mounted a "custom" plate...maybe a shield or a diamond of something, then drilled through that for the eyelet, it could be enhancing, rather than the site of a repair.

Dunno...might work, eh?

I love this boat, btw. I loved it camo, as well.

=D> =D> =D>
Kis
Enjoy every sandwich

1955 Alumacraft Model A
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 08&start=0
1959 Alumacraft Model F
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386
1980 Alumacraft Model F7, 1955-56? Johnson 10hp
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35326
1956 Alumacraft Model RB
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39249

VinTin

Post by VinTin »

bobberboy wrote:
jpfieber wrote:
VinTin wrote:That boat was made by Reynolds and is a collectible.
Certainly looks a lot like mine, but the badge on mine says "Neuenfeldt & Dickmann Co, Inc", in Grafton WI. Perhaps there's some link between the companies. In any case, thanks, gives me some avenue to explore!

Oh, and I noticed the ad says no hull rivets, but on mine, the stringers on the bottom are riveted to the outside of the hull.
Reynolds is a maker of aluminum and as such may have been promoting the virtues of boats made of aluminum. Many companies manufacturing raw materials will advertise products made by them so it's possible the above ad was not selling Reynolds boats but rather boats made of Reynolds aluminum. It may be that they just used this particular boat to do so.
Reynolds owned and operated the press that stamped out that hull in one piece.

It was then sold by other companies.

jpfieber

Post by jpfieber »

VinTin wrote:Reynolds owned and operated the press that stamped out that hull in one piece. It was then sold by other companies.
Makes sense, I hope I can find others like it, would be cool to see what others have done to theirs.
1954 Mercury Mark 20
1982 Mercury 7.5

jpfieber

1954 12' Lifetime Aluminum Boat build - Drain

Post by jpfieber »

I've got the metal of the transom cleaned up pretty well, but I'm a little concerned about the drain. It appears to be a cast iron fitting that's somehow stuck in there. It has remnants of threads on both the inside and outside. It's rusted, and I suspect will eventually cause problems, so now would be the time to replace it with a proper piece. The outer diameter is 1". I haven't looked around for options yet, I would think that brass would be the best material, but not sure if there would be a reaction between that and the aluminum. Anyone else replaced their drain?

One thing I'm thinking is that i want it as low as possible to the floor, don't want to much water left that can't drain out.
2015-10-20 10.39.11.jpg
2015-10-20 10.39.22.jpg
1954 Mercury Mark 20
1982 Mercury 7.5

Johnny
Donor

Post by Johnny »

yep, that appears to be an iron pipe . . . but, it works.
You can find find this brass floor drain on Amazon or your big box marine stores for about $7
boat plug.jpg
boat plug.jpg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
and my comments are like all of the above !! a beautiful old boat !! I have never ever seen
that style before. Great work so far, just take small bites and it will be fun.
I think your paint scheme of polished aluminum and green to match the motor will be awesome.

GOOD JOB !!
https://www.tinboats.net/how-to-build-a-transom/
https://www.tinboats.net/varnish-vs-polyurethane/
All about Primers = https://www.tinboats.net/primer-and-paint-basics/
Paint, Thinners and Applications = https://www.paintingforpainters.com/

1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse

jpfieber

1954 12' Lifetime Aluminum Boat build - Drain

Post by jpfieber »

So I looked around at options for my drain, and decided that if a pipe fitting was working before, why not try it again? I got a stainless steel version of the same. I added two lock nuts, to reinforce the whole thing, and used some 3M 5200 on the threads and around the hole in the transom. Had to grind down the threads on the inside of the fitting so the plug would fit better, and have less chance of a leak. Seems good, I'll know for sure next time I stick it in the water!

I'm hoping to be able to resuse the 5200, so I wrapped it air tight in plastic and put it in the fridge. I hope it works!
The fittings, bought them from McMaster Carr
The fittings, bought them from McMaster Carr
Interior Installed
Interior Installed
Exterior Installed
Exterior Installed
3M 5200, shrunk-wrapped and refridgerated
3M 5200, shrunk-wrapped and refridgerated
1954 Mercury Mark 20
1982 Mercury 7.5

jpfieber

1954 12' Lifetime Aluminum Boat build - Fume Control

Post by jpfieber »

Steve A W wrote:Working in the basement, be very careful of stripping and painting fumes.
Glad you reminded me of that issue. I'm getting ready to start priming and wanted to have some ventilation. I had a spare dust collector laying around (gathering dust, bazinga!) that seemed perfect for the job. Took the motor and impeller off, hung it from the ceiling and ran a duct out the wall to vent under my deck. Works great, moves a lot of air!
20151025_194815.jpg
20151025_194828.jpg
1954 Mercury Mark 20
1982 Mercury 7.5

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Post by bassboy1 »

That's a neat old boat, and I really like the look of that engine, even if it is a Mercury.

Couple points I want to bring up after reading the thread.

First, if your wire brushes aren't stainless, go ahead and pick a set of those up. Carbon steel wire brushes can actually contaminate the metal slightly, embedding tiny flecks of carbon, which can rust. It's highly recommended to only use stainless wire brushes on aluminum.

Secondly, you made the better choice going stainless on your drain plug instead of brass. While stainless and aluminum aren't perfect together, they get along reasonably well in a freshwater environment - brass and aluminum are much farther apart on the galvanic scale, and are generally considered incompatible.

VinTin

Post by VinTin »

bassboy1 wrote:That's a neat old boat, and I really like the look of that engine, even if it is a Mercury.

Couple points I want to bring up after reading the thread.

First, if your wire brushes aren't stainless, go ahead and pick a set of those up. Carbon steel wire brushes can actually contaminate the metal slightly, embedding tiny flecks of carbon, which can rust. It's highly recommended to only use stainless wire brushes on aluminum.

Secondly, you made the better choice going stainless on your drain plug instead of brass. While stainless and aluminum aren't perfect together, they get along reasonably well in a freshwater environment - brass and aluminum are much farther apart on the galvanic scale, and are generally considered incompatible.
Absolutely!

Brass and aluminum are a recipe for a hole in the bottom of the boat. I've seen it many times and have a couple of examples sitting in my yard.

ScouterJames

Post by ScouterJames »

jpfieber wrote:
VinTin wrote:Reynolds owned and operated the press that stamped out that hull in one piece. It was then sold by other companies.
Makes sense, I hope I can find others like it, would be cool to see what others have done to theirs.
Try contacting the company? Looks like they're still around - maybe have some info or brochures in their old archives.... Looks like the same company - says they made boats briefly.....

https://www.hellotrade.com/dickmann-man ... ofile.html
Tell me, and I might forget.
Show me, and I might remember.
INVOLVE ME, and I'll LEARN.

jpfieber

Post by jpfieber »

ScouterJames wrote:
jpfieber wrote:Try contacting the company? Looks like they're still around - maybe have some info or brochures in their old archives.... Looks like the same company - says they made boats briefly.....
I suspected that company was related, but didn't see the whole story, thanks, I'll have to do some investigating!
1954 Mercury Mark 20
1982 Mercury 7.5

VinTin

Post by VinTin »

jpfieber wrote:
The few I've seen have been in the hands of people who are interested in preserving or restoring them to original condition.

UncleTork

Post by UncleTork »

I have a couple questions for you on your plug as i need to put one in my boat.

What size pipe fitting is it?
Where did you find it in stainless steel?
Is your plug just a standard boat drain plug?

Thank you