benefits of adding a floor ? suggestions for grab bar ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
Ive got a 1436 with a 6hp four stroke that I really want to add a grab bar & tiller extension to but Im not sure I want to add the weight of a floor. I know aluminum would be much lighter but Im limited on what can $pend.

how much would a plywood floor slow me down? I can go 17+ mph by myself (210lb), and 13+ mph with myself and two others (totaling 390lbs). no gear with the speed tests. Im thinking the floor would drop me 2 mph ?

other than having a base to install a grab bar, what would my benefits be to adding a floor? I dont fish bare foot so the boats natural bottom would not affect me in the hot summer.

Aluminum would not be lighter (not much) but it does not rot!

Benefits are a level surface to walk around and some sound dampening

You have to treat the floor and paint it

It will add a little weight

Harder to keep boat clean

I Assume you mean a bottom deck and not raised decks, correct.

In a boat your size I would just fish it "as is?"

thanks Captain. I like your point about harder to keep clean. it sure is nice to just hose out the boat and not worry about a floor or what may be under the floor.

now Im thinking about adding a simple grab bar base, maybe 3/4 plywood, between two ribs and mounting a grab bar to the base. this would help me keep the weight down and still allow me to have the grab bar that I want. so how would I attach the base to the ribs? stainless sheet metal screws?

kac7.jpg

Im also considering this light weight floor. anyone think its a good idea?

[youtube]C0PpypzsvjU[/youtube]

My "new" boat is the same size as yours.

I have had boats with and without floors.

I like a floor because it gives me a more stable platform to stand and fish from.
It lets me leave my tackle box open, it is also easier to move around on the boat when you have a flat floor.

My wife is always tripping on something, she is more comfortable with a flat deck.

I have an outboard but almost never use it, I fish electric only lakes most of the time so I really can't talk much about speed differences. And have never had a grab bar.

I definitely enjoy the floor I put in my boat. It is much easier to move around in, easier to have your tackle box open, and easier to position gear around the boat and move it to wherever you want it, not to just where it will fit between the ribs. My floor added about 75 pounds to my 16 footer, using cypress 1"x 6"x 3/4" boards (see my modification in my signature below). I didn't see any speed loss with my 15 hp (using GPS on the cell phone, Ulysee speedometer application).
On a flat bottom, using the ribs as support, you could use 1/2" plywood without issue, and maybe as thin as 1/4" if you use the foam sheets under it between the ribs. I used aluminum angle pop-riveted to the seat benches to support the ends of the floor pieces.

When I had my 14ft lund, the floor was already pretty flat (all ribs on outside) so I just bought a rubber entrance mat at menards one day and cut it in half. Used it in front and back of boat, deadened the sound and some kind of synthetic "wool" was glued to the rubber so it felt nice on toes. Waterproof and easy to clean, worked out well, weighed only about 7 lbs.

Tim

I added two small removable decks (fore and aft) as well as a PVC grab bar to my 14' semi-V hull tinny and its made all the difference in the world. I can now sit and/or stand while underway, which greatly improves visibility. Using a tiller extender made from PVC is also necessary so you can stand and still get the full range of motion. All and all I spent less than $40-$50, and most of that was in stainless steel hardware. Tiller extenders and grab bars are practically standard down here in FL it seems with no sign of anyone going back. I know I'm not. Btw, boats have "decks", buildings have "floors" ;)