New 2017 25hp 4 stroke efi yamaha

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
gettinback

Post by gettinback »

Yeah just doesn't seem right. But I doubt he will be back to tell us his findings. I hate when people pop up and don't post any follow up. Maybe someone else will chime in on their experience with this motor. I will give a detailed report as soon as I get my boat but that won't be til sometime in September.
1436 Alumacraft 15hp Mercury 4stroke powerpole micro Raymarine dragonfly 21' Stiffy hybrid pushpole RTIC 45qt cooler
Hunt and Fish microskiff
Panama City Florida area

Stumpalump

Post by Stumpalump »

1991 18' Valco Bayrunner Evenrude 48 SPL

Arizona

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb »

That is for the carb model not the new efi model. The new efi model will be a 2018. Every august they start the next yr model yr.

gettinback

Post by gettinback »

Bump
1436 Alumacraft 15hp Mercury 4stroke powerpole micro Raymarine dragonfly 21' Stiffy hybrid pushpole RTIC 45qt cooler
Hunt and Fish microskiff
Panama City Florida area

DaisyCutter

Post by DaisyCutter »

August 15 is my new ETA for the tiller controls parts.

Delayed for the umpteenth time.

I'm really really really not impressed.

gettinback

Post by gettinback »

Wow really? I just went to my Yamaha dealer and bought one.
Hunt and Fish microskiff
Panama City Florida area

DaisyCutter

Post by DaisyCutter »

It might be that mine is power tilt & trim?

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb »

DaisyCutter wrote:August 15 is my new ETA for the tiller controls parts.

Delayed for the umpteenth time.

I'm really really really not impressed.
I can't believe how long this is taking for you,i surely hope after all this time waiting this engine is worth it. I have heard mixed reviews on it so far.Most say it's under powered for a 25hp but most say it's smooth as can be. I rather have a bit rough and a ton of power but that is just me.The more i read on this engine and see videos it makes me more and more thankful i bought my suzuki. I'm sure it will hold up being a yamaha but imo if it's a under powered engine it may only be good for flat bottom boats because they need very little to more them. Most new 20hp engines are near the 330-350 CCs area so this 25hp having such a small displacement could be the issue.I mean at 432 CCs it should have some get up and go but it is by far the lowest rated cc engine out of all the 25hp engines. Think about this,a 25hp etec is at 577 CCs and the yamaha is at 432CCs and it's only like a 20lb difference in weight. I know a etec would smoke a 25hp yamaha as well as most 25hp engines of today.This is why i like the 25hp suzuki so much,it has a 3rd cylinder and even weighs less than most 25hp 2 or 4 strokes.It has a healthy 489 CCs of displacement so it lacks in nothing imo. It's by far the best priced engine ($3000-$3200 shipped to my door and a full 6yr warranty) for the money and it has a stellar reputation. If i had money to throw around i would probably get a 25hp etec rope start.I found them on clearance in CT for a unreal price of $3559.That is a great price for a 2 stroke DFI engine imo.

I truly hope this yamaha works out for you since you've waited for near 9 months patiently.

gettinback

Post by gettinback »

I chose the F25 first cause it's a Yamaha. Also because of the weight savings in a technical poling skiff 10lbs here and there add up. I also like the gear shift lever in the tiller handle make things easier when operating with an tiller extension. I havn't had a chance to run it yet but I can expect that it will run better than my first choice which was going to be the Suzuki 20hp. Hope I'm right. Oh yeah and it's a Yamaha.
Hunt and Fish microskiff
Panama City Florida area

tomme boy

Post by tomme boy »

I have owned them ALL. Suzuki I will NEVER buy again. Biggest POS I have ever owned. warrenty was a joke, trying to get fixed was a joke. Factory service team showed up and still could not fix issue. Failure to admit to casting flaws on lower unit. Oil leaking despite every oil seal being replaced. Couple of dead spots in the TPS.

Yamaha has always been the goto motor for reliability. While the 25hp motor has always been underpowered compared to the others, it just keeps on running while the others are blown up. I am sure the motor will be fine for what you need it to do.

And Scoobeb, we are all tired of hearing about your Suzuki. you have told the same stories over and over and over................................!!! Give us a break!

gettinback

Post by gettinback »

I have heard mixed reviews on every motor on the market. Just talked to a guy on another forum who was having mixed feelings about going w/ the new Yamaha so he cancelled his order and went with the 25 Suzuki and 2hours in he's already having issues. So not sure which is best but Yamaha has a stellar reputation. I hope I'm not gonna be eating my words later. But I will always go with reliability over a few moths.
Hunt and Fish microskiff
Panama City Florida area

Lost Pole

Post by Lost Pole »

tomme boy wrote:
And Scoobeb, we are all tired of hearing about your Suzuki. you have told the same stories over and over and over................................!!! Give us a break!
I'm not a big poster here but I really enjoy learning everything everyone here has to offer. I started checking this thread with the new Yamaha motor interest. Was following the delays, but there's a constant Knock that I've read over and over and over. Not only in this thread, but others that were started by the knock, so I can avoid that.
Sounds like there's someone trying to convince theirselves (and others) of something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb »

tomme boy wrote:I have owned them ALL. Suzuki I will NEVER buy again. Biggest POS I have ever owned. warrenty was a joke, trying to get fixed was a joke. Factory service team showed up and still could not fix issue. Failure to admit to casting flaws on lower unit. Oil leaking despite every oil seal being replaced. Couple of dead spots in the TPS.

Yamaha has always been the goto motor for reliability. While the 25hp motor has always been underpowered compared to the others, it just keeps on running while the others are blown up. I am sure the motor will be fine for what you need it to do.

First off this is my thread,if you don't like it stay out. 2nd if you think suzuki is a pos your clueless about outboards. Every manufacturer has their good and bad engines. Just because your engine had an issue doesn't mean all suzuki's are junk. So if you bought a Honda Accord one day and had issues that means honda sucks,you make no sense.

2nd I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I think the Yamaha is a fine engine. I just prefer suzuki and I can voice my opinion when or where I want and like I said if you Don't like it then don't post in here. I'm not invading anyone's thread,I made it I will write what I please.

So far you said etec is junk,suzuki is junk,that tells me you love yamaha which is your opinion but saying the other brands are junk is just simply not true. Again every manufacturer has their duds.

Yamaha is so great that's why this poor guy has been waiting almost a yr for his engine. Plus I simply made some suggestions to him,because he was contemplating not getting the whole package so I explained to him a suzuki 25hp would be a great engine for his boat. I don't like one brand over the other,I go by performance and reliability and most brands are reliable in today's economy. I just like the suzuki because I've ran it and it would probably do well on his heavier boat.
I even said if I had the money a 25hp etec is the way I would go,I would take a 25hp DFI 2 stroke over Any 4 stroke imo.

scoobeb

Post by scoobeb »

I think the 25hp 2 stroke yamaha is one of the best engines ever built and if they still were available I would take one way over a suzuki,so how's that for trying to convince anyone of anything and that I'm supposably knocking the Yamaha brand. I love yamaha, I've owned several and have never had an issue with them. With today's engines since we have no other options new besides the 4 strokes or dfi engines it's a crap shoot as far as performance. I have never knocked yamaha,ever. I just again simply explained that since he's had issues getting his engine I threw out the suzuki and imo you get more motor for the money,how do you get I'm knocking yamaha out of that?

DaisyCutter

Post by DaisyCutter »

All the bigger displacement 25s are just detuned 30s.

A 250cc dirtbike is near 40hp. I'm not worried about the 432cc motor being smaller displacement. I didn't want to carry the weight of a 30hp for the performance of only a 25hp.

I'm driving back from San Diego right now. Of the fishing boats with outboards, almost all had Yamahas.

The parts I'm missing are in transit. 8/23 will be nine months of waiting.