New 2017 25hp 4 stroke efi yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bcbouy, what boat do you have and how fast
are you running with your tohatsu ? I'm really
Interested in this motor. Might have a buyer for
my Mercury 20 and need to upgrade

14.5 g3 guide v. i'm not sure what my top speed is. the prop i have at the moment is for trolling,not high end speed. i think it's a 12.all i know is it's smooth,and the tilt is the best money i've spent on it yet.it's what knocked the etec out of the mix for me.i was getting around 25/28 with 2 people,but i'm almost 800 lbs,fully loaded,if not more.if i put on the prop it came with i'd hit 30 with just me in it,no doubt about it.

Not bad , your boat weighs just 10lbs more then mine
And your engine is 40lbs more. I thought you would at
least be at 33mph with 2 people. I came back from the lake
yesterday and I'm running 28mph with 2 people and 30.5
with me alone . But I have a 2015 Merc 20hp. Where you
in the ocean or something . I was under the impression that
extra 5hp would get me 4-5mph especially with that 3rd cylinder .
Buy hey thanks for heads up. I might just go straight to a 30hp
and finance it . Thanks again.

Duramacr said:
Not bad , your boat weighs just 10lbs more then mine
And your engine is 40lbs more. I thought you would at
least be at 33mph with 2 people. I came back from the lake
yesterday and I'm running 28mph with 2 people and 30.5
with me alone . But I have a 2015 Merc 20hp. Where you
in the ocean or something . I was under the impression that
extra 5hp would get me 4-5mph especially with that 3rd cylinder .
Buy hey thanks for heads up. I might just go straight to a 30hp
and finance it . Thanks again.

If your getting those speeds which imo i have never heard of with a 20hp 4stroke on any aluminum boat you would be nuts to get rid of that engine.Now i have heard of a light rib boat with a 20hp 4stroke suzuki with a 12 pitch ss prop get 30.3 mph and that is crazy fast for a 20hp 4stroke.Your gain with a 25hp 4 stroke or 2 stroke will be so small it would be a waste of money.I do know you can mabe get 32 or 33 mph with a 25hp engine but at what cost.You gain 2 to 3 mph for alot of extra money,not worth it imo.Those 20hp merc/tohatsu's are as stellar an engine as you can get.

I don't think it's unheard of, I was getting 28 with the stock 10
aluminum prop . If you go to the Mercury outboard website they
Have a heavier boat then mine with a blackmax aluminum prop
getting 27.5 with an 800+load as well. I upgraded to a stainless
Steel 11 pitch solas and that's good for 2mph. Im 250lbs and my
Buddy is 180. Boat is 190 and motor is 125 , 40 lbs for gas and
80lbs for all my other stuff like canopy, anchor , ice chest, fishing gear,
etc. That's still over 800lbs as well. I think it just depends on the boat.
I have a tach and have played with 2 different props and have
The engine raised a 1/4 inch of the transom and the cavitation plate sits
1/4 inch above the keel. . I'm waiting on a mini jacker that actually comes in today and
im gonna have it at 1/2 inch above the keel to see if I can get the extra rpm
To get to 31mph. I also sanded the whole bottom of my boat 3 months after
I got it . Lol. Had a buddy that swears by that .

Just giving you friendly advice on one thing,if you continue using the ss prop it can do more damage then good to your lower unit. Engines as small as ours were not designed to handle ss props. If you do research you will see that. The gain of 2 mph is not worth the risk imo of destroying your lower unit. SS props do very,very little for small outboards, they are made for higher stronger hp outboards. Just wanted to throw that out . Now I'm not saying your motor will break or anything but I know the gears in our smaller outboards from everything I have read are not designed to handle the extra force and weight a SS prop produces on the shaft . Most people ignore that and never have issues, I'm just saying it's possible. The less strain on your lower unit gears the better.

All I'm saying is be careful. I also entertained the idea of a ss prop and my guy at my local marina told me first it's not worth the extra money. Second you hit something since I fish shallow water my lower unit will break and he also mentioned the extra strain it puts on a small outboard like my 20hp so with the information I know and he gave me I went with a 11 pitch solas aluminum and I do good,1000 lbs + I hit near 26 mph and I haven't done solo yet,but I see how 28 and 31 could be done.

Yes , thanks for the info. I had heard that before
as well, that's why I went with a 12 pitch solas
Amita 3 first . I actually weighed my aluminum
prop and my stainless steel and there was a 6oz
difference . When I unpackaged the ss prop and took
aluminum off I could feel a small difference so I
weighed them . I fish at big lakes . There are no canals
or swamps around here so I'm not worried about
hitting something . I was sold on the Blackman 11.5
pitch before I got the ss prop, but the guys on the
duckboat forum told me to get an ss prop and
a jackplate . These guys know there stuff when
it comes to speed . They have high performance
Edge, Havoc, ambush, etc hulls with stock etec 25's
pushing upper 30's mph. They claim the duckboat hulls
are a 5-7mph gain over a Jon boat hull. The main reason
Is because the motor is setback way off the boat. Anyway
The difference from an aluminum prop to an ss prop
was 40 bucks . And sorry about what I said about Suzuki , I
didnt realize there new 2017 25hp weighs 136lbs which is
almost the same as their 20hp.

Suzuki came out with their new 25hp in 2015 so it's 2yrs in production already and it's a dynamite motor. I had it for a short while and I should of kept it but like I said it's a big difference running in the open gulf with 15 mph winds howling up to thunderstorm force winds compared to my local lake. I can run wot all day in my lake compared to wot maybe half to less of the time in the Gulf when I had my 25hp 2 stroke merc. If I went wot in nasty wind and rough seas it was flat out scary because my boat was so fast it barely touched the water as is so if I hit a wave that would be it for me and my boat,lol. The 20hp suzuki is just perfect for wot because I get like I said 25 maybe 26 mph at wot with a full boat and it's manageable to run through rough water and wind . Plus I fish close to shore,I only go down the shoreline and not out in deeper water. Plenty of fish in a few feet or less of water here in central fl.

The suzuki 20hp is 97lbs and the 25hp is 136,very,big difference in weight.

for me personally, speed only becomes a factor when i'm full tilt back to shore while outrunning weather or need to # 2 really bad.i'd rather troll nice and slow out and in. my main criteria were smoothness,reliability and first and foremost power tilt.could not get that in anything but my 25 tohatsu,even then i'm 5 horse over my rating.

bcbouy said:
for me personally, speed only becomes a factor when i'm full tilt back to shore while outrunning weather or need to # 2 really bad.i'd rather troll nice and slow out and in. my main criteria were smoothness,reliability and first and foremost power tilt.could not get that in anything but my 25 tohatsu,even then i'm 5 horse over my rating.
Trolling in and out slow is thee flat out worst thing you can do with a 4 stroke outboard, they are designed to run hard,not 600 rpms. I understand if your trolling for fish but you should also do some wot every time you go out because you will never get the engine up to temperature. If I'm going to troll I would not invest in a $4000+ outboard because a 9.9hp or 15hp would be plenty fast to get away from weather. There is a guy across from me I'm my canal who never does anything but a mph in the canal and never goes to open water to run it and it's a 25hp etec with the works,imo a complete waste of money when a 6 or 8hp 4 stroke at less then half the price will do the same exact thing. Me,imo use my outboard as intended,balls to the walls out of the box and I troll very little, if I was going to troll all the time I would get the lowest hp 2 cylinder engine available for the cheapest price because I'm going 1 to 3 mph anyways and it will troll as smooth as a 25hp 2 cylinder for way less money. I live in fl so weather here in summer turns bad in minutes and even with my 9.8hp 2 stroke tohatsu I used to have in out ran hellacious thunderstorms. Like I said this is my opinion.

I know the tohatsu /merc 25hp is a 3 cylinder but a 2 cylinder would do the job just as well for trolling and getting out of weather.

Well, it's March now. My new Yamaha 25 should be coming sometime this month.

I saw this video and it got me drooling: https://youtu.be/ovDTy6p5bxY

It should make my little Alumacraft V16 go pretty well. It'll even have power trim on the tiller!!

Tick-tock-tick-tock...

Easy,I was just expressing my opinion like you were,nothing more. You were expressing your opinion on what you use your motor for and I was just trying to give friendly advice but I see clearly you took it the wrong way. You chimed in so I have a right to as well as you do. I didn't tell you how to operate your outboard, I was just explaining trolling with it all the time is not good for it because they tend to make oil which is bad. They never get up to temperature. You took my post completely wrong. If it made you upset I apologize.

well now that I've seen a video of it running, I think I'm gonna hang onto my antique. After all, it is paid for-and has zero issues other than a scratch or two. Doesn't look to be any quieter or smoother than my current motor either. It'd be nice to have PT&T but I can add that with a CMC without too much problem. May go a little faster too if I need to go #2 real quicklike.

I'm selling my 20hp suzuki already because I want the 25hp. I can get a new 17 model for a great deal so I may as well do it now. I'm going to do it now or later anyways. It is just a,sweet 3 cylinder suzuki. I had one a few yrs ago when it first came out and I sold my whole package with the 25hp suzuki on it because it was to difficult to sell just the boat and trailer on it's own. The power out of the hole of that 25hp suzuki is incredible, it has as much power as my previous 25hp 2 stroke merc and that is saying I mean alot. The suzuki threw me back in my seat when I hit the throttle. I went up to a 12 pitch prop on it but never measured the speed,I guarantee you though I was definitely going over 30mph. The power is fast and smooth due to the 3 cylinder powerhead and efi combination. It takes off like a jet,lol. I like the idea I have that extra power and wot over the 20hp so I can do 3/4 throttle and still be at 25mph + and on those calm but seldom days I can hammer the throttle then. Jimo,the suzuki is the best all around engine for the money,key word is money.

Well, it's mid March now.

I ordered my Alumacraft utility boat at Cabela's on December 23rd, 2016. Still no boat, still no motor.

Tick-tock-tick-tock...

DaisyCutter said:
Well, it's mid March now.

I ordered my Alumacraft utility boat at Cabela's on December 23rd, 2016. Still no boat, still no motor.

Tick-tock-tick-tock...

Yep, BPS and Cabela's (I guess they are now one, which is fitting) have pretty much been turned into a Walmart. I avoid them like the plague these days.