Using small jump pack to start outboard

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
newyota

Post by newyota »

Adding on electric start and possibly with no stator/ charging sytem and wonder if just using one of those small jumper packs would be an option since it would be much lighter than a battery and should turn the motor over easily?Not sure how many starts I would get but if motor starts easily I would think enough for a morning of fishing.Any thoughts

MrGiggles

Post by MrGiggles »

Those jump packs are more for quickly charging a dead battery, than they are for providing enough juice to jump start an engine entirely alone.

I think a small AGM style battery would suit you pretty well, like something from a lawn mower.

newyota

Post by newyota »

I actually watched a good video on reviews of a number of these by a guy on YouTube and he did use them to demonstrate trying to crank over a farm tractor to test them..This was without being hooked to battery,just the leads to starter.Seemed to work fine for that.

silentbravo

Post by silentbravo »

I just used my lithium jump starter pack yesterday a couple of times to get my 48 going. You could probably jumpstart a small engine quite a few times on one of the larger sized packs. I went to charge this one and it didn't even register needing a charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if my 1500A Gooloo pack would start the Johnson 48 at least 20 times over. My other similarly sized jump start pack will start a full size V8 truck at least 12-15 times.

Sounds like a good idea to me, just be prepared to rope start it just in case.
1978 Starcraft SUS 16 O/B