New (To Me) Motor

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
catfishjoe

New (To Me) Motor

Post by catfishjoe »

Ictalurus wrote:This is where there appears to be water exiting. Not much of a stream, kind of blown out with exhaust or some air pressure.
I stand Corrected ! now that I think about it mine does the same thing, quite a bit of water comes out but it does spray rather than come out in a stream. Sorry for the confusion.
What was we talkin about ?

jasper60103

New (To Me) Motor

Post by jasper60103 »

Ictalurus wrote:One more item to note, never saw a water stream, but it looks like the water pump exit is through the exhaust on the back side. Am I correct in this, or do is there work to do?
I check my water pump by running the motor deep in a barrel of water.
I didn't hear you mention changing the impeller.
Just cheap insurance if unknown when done last.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

ultra353

New (To Me) Motor

Post by ultra353 »

Most of the older Johnson/Evinrudes dont have a "pee hole" they just discharge some of the water out the port you indicated.

ultra353

New (To Me) Motor

Post by ultra353 »

Catfishjoe, if your oil is milky looking you have a leak somewhere. It could be as simple as the drain/fill hole plugs not tight enough or the seals bad. If those check out ok, another common area is the prop shaft seal. Fishing line gets wrapped around the shaft behind the prop and ruines the seal. You might have to get a whole lower seal kit and replace them all if u cant find the leak.

Ictalurus

New (To Me) Motor

Post by Ictalurus »

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm sure there will be more questions along the way. The motor seems to be running well as is, although I may change the impeller this year just be on the safe side.

catfishjoe

New (To Me) Motor

Post by catfishjoe »

Hey Thanks Ultra353, that drove me craxy yesterday so as soon as I got home I drained some of the oil and it looked just fine. I only had the motor in the water once before I changed the gear lube in it and many times with the new lube in it so I think i just had a loose fill or drain plug ( hopefully).
What was we talkin about ?

BaitCaster

New (To Me) Motor

Post by BaitCaster »

Nice looking motor. Real clean.
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14160

chavist93

New (To Me) Motor

Post by chavist93 »

Ictalurus wrote:This is where there appears to be water exiting. Not much of a stream, kind of blown out with exhaust or some air pressure.
Thats normal for that engine.
Lowe 1236/Mercury 9.9 2 stroke
Triton 1440MV/Mercury 25hp 2 stroke

cajuncook1

New (To Me) Motor

Post by cajuncook1 »

That is the exhaust relief port. Yes that is your water indicator and is doing exactly what it is suppose to be doing. Most of the water and exhaust comes out down below near the foot.

You were concerned about the shift handle lever. If your want to replace it, you will have to remove the powerhead if I remember correctly.

You can get a machine shop to fashion a small piece of aluminum with a cut out at the bottom that houses over the remain portion of the shift handle(if there is enough lip). Then drill through the both the aluminum piece and the shift handle and place a bolt threw it to secure it on. Spray paint it white. (good...no power head removal)

Same thing can be done with a piece of sturdy wood (although not as durable as the aluminum or metal attachment).

Or in a pinch....... :wink: pair of visegrips........yeeehaaaa swamp style :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Just a thought......Your motor looks great....it will surely give you good service if properly maintained.

Ictalurus

New (To Me) Motor

Post by Ictalurus »

Polished up the old '66 and she looks great. Scored some decals on ebay (I remember when ebay was a deal), primed and painted. Found a replacement shift handle also. The missing rich/lean knob is on it's way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cajuncook1

New (To Me) Motor

Post by cajuncook1 »

Nice job!!!! Shoot a video when you get her running......she is going to drag that 14footer all over the lake. You should be able to get 25mph easy with her.

Ictalurus

New (To Me) Motor

Post by Ictalurus »

cajuncook1 wrote:Nice job!!!! Shoot a video when you get her running......she is going to drag that 14footer all over the lake. You should be able to get 25mph easy with her.
Thanks man, I'm hoping to be able to pull some kids on a tube with it. Will be a tremendous upgrade from my 8 hp.

J.C.

New (To Me) Motor

Post by J.C. »

I just bought the same size/year motor off of CL today and mine also has the broken shift lever and is not staying cranked. Can only get it to fire off with starter fluid then it immediately dies off. I have been told that it sounds like a fuel problem so I plan on cleaning the carb and getting a rebuild kit for it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I'm replacing a 6hp evinrude with this Johnson on my 14 foot Ouichita.

Question for Ictalurus, how did you replace the shift lever and how hard was it to do? How much of the lever was broken and where did you find your replacement part?

As always thank to everyone for their replies and suggestions. Everyone on here has always been great!!
"Keep Smiling It Confuses The Devil!"

JonBoatfever

New (To Me) Motor

Post by JonBoatfever »

when I started up my motor it wasnt spittin any water at all. I found the intake and every thing was fine, but there was a dirt dopper nest in the water line where it spits out, so I had to take that off and feed tooth picks through it and water until it was clean. Now runs like achamp. (2000 honda bf8 fourstroke sat for 5 years without being ran)

Ictalurus

New (To Me) Motor

Post by Ictalurus »

J.C. wrote:Question for Ictalurus, how did you replace the shift lever and how hard was it to do? How much of the lever was broken and where did you find your replacement part?
Sorry for the late response. I bought the shift lever from Southcentral Outboards (outboardsanonymous@gmail.com) through ebay. Only transaction I have made with them and product was delivered to my door in good condition. The lever was broken at the base, I was lucky that I only had to replace the lever and not the pin going into the motor, so it took all of a few minutes.