My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
dixie_boysles

My 1985 PolarKraft project

Post by dixie_boysles »

adodger69 wrote:I just got a 1970 14' polar kraft and trailer,so I can't wait to see
what you do on it cause I figure what works on yours will work
on mine!
adodger69
Good deal! My plans are to use aluminum framing to build front deck support back to second support rib. Then I will remove middle bench for open floor plan. Then on the back, I plan on building a deck as well (basically extending bench back to back of boat) I want a storage on backside of front deck as well. Also, for all the seats, I plan on using one of those plates with the holes in them for removable seats. I will have ne on back deck with optional pedestal to raise u up. I will have one in middle of floor and one on front deck. I will also hack into back bench and remove foam as to create storage there as well. My Garmin 140 fishfinder will be mounted on front deck.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

adodger69 wrote:I just got a 1970 14' polar kraft and trailer,so I can't wait to see
what you do on it cause I figure what works on yours will work
on mine!
adodger69
Good deal! My plans are to use aluminum framing to build front deck support back to second support rib. Then I will remove middle bench for open floor plan. Then on the back, I plan on building a deck as well (basically extending bench back to back of boat) I want a storage on backside of front deck as well. Also, for all the seats, I plan on using one of those plates with the holes in them for removable seats. I will have ne on back deck with optional pedestal to raise u up. I will have one in middle of floor and one on front deck. I will also hack into back bench and remove foam as to create storage there as well. My Garmin 140 fishfinder will be mounted on front deck.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

I', tore on what to do as far as primer. I've made up my mind to use self-etcjing primer in a spraycan from walmart. I was told that if I wasnt going down to bare metal, jsut to rough up paint on baot and them paint. But there are bare spots on the boat where there is no paint. Should I just sand and spot primel or should id bite the bullet and prime the whole thing I dont really want to remove all the paint to the metal. Do you think it would be ok just to sand and use self-etching primer over the whole boat. Suggestions please.

Brine

Post by Brine »

dixie_boysles wrote:I', tore on what to do as far as primer. I've made up my mind to use self-etcjing primer in a spraycan from walmart. I was told that if I wasnt going down to bare metal, jsut to rough up paint on baot and them paint. But there are bare spots on the boat where there is no paint. Should I just sand and spot primel or should id bite the bullet and prime the whole thing I dont really want to remove all the paint to the metal. Do you think it would be ok just to sand and use self-etching primer over the whole boat. Suggestions please.
Yes

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Brine wrote:Yes
yes what, prime whole thing or spot prime

Brine

Post by Brine »

dixie_boysles wrote:Do you think it would be ok just to sand and use self-etching primer over the whole boat. Suggestions please.
Yes again... :?
dixie_boysles wrote:yes what, prime whole thing or spot prime
Maybe I didn't understand your question.

If you are asking if it's "ok" for either option, the answer is yes so long as the paint that is on the boat is on good, and you properly scuff it up so that the new paint will adhere.

That said.....If it were me, I'd sand the whole boat, prime the whole boat, then paint the whole boat.

wolfmjc

Post by wolfmjc »

Welcome, good luck on your boat, can't wait to see how it turns out.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Got some more work done today (I took pics, just havnt uploaded them, working from blackberry). Took the grinder to the bottom of the weak spot since I had an aluminum plate welded to the top of it yesterday. Gonna have another plate welded the bottom of the spot monday. This should insure its leakproof and very strong with about 5/16" of material at that spot. Also, previous owner had silicone on the front rivets, got it all off, gonna hammer them together and seal em back with new stuff. (I've read something about steelflex, what is it and where do u get it). I also got all the old stickers off of it today! Tomorrow, gonna pick up some marine epoxy and tomorrow I'm gonna put this in any screw holes where thing have been mounted over the years. When it cures, I'll sand them down and wallah-no more hole! I'm also gonna pick up some 150 grit (is this ok) sandpaper (for da sander and single sheets to do by hand)to roughen up surface. Is this grit ok or do ya'll recommend something else? Pics tomorrow of progress so far.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

dixie_boysles wrote:(I've read something about steelflex, what is it and where do u get it).

Search function.. top right of the screen

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

UPDATE:

Picked up some materials today.

-1 pack of 150 grit sandpaper
-2 fine grit (150 grit equiv) sponges
-1 tube of marine epoxy (to fill screw holes where thing have been mounted over the years.

Here is progress from yesterday:

Spot welded in floor awaiting aluminum plate for the other side of it

The other side of the spot baing grinded and cleaned for the new plate monday.

The trailer. I redid the bunks, but they are going to have to be Re-done. They are nowhere near tall enough because the boat hits front of trailer when loading. This time i will stack the 2x4s and extend them further up. Also, i have to pick up some 1x1 tubing to make some side bunks.

The trailer will also be painted using the same paint as the boat.

A leaky rivet, I guess ill hammer it together again and then put some kind of sealer around it (suggestions). i've never really fised them. I was told that i should just have them welded when i get that plate put on monday, but i dont know if i like that idea.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Feb 21 UPDATE:

I went this morning to work on boat some more. Started sanding at 10:30 am and didnt stop until 5:30 pm! I sanded the entire outside of the boat by hand with 150 grit sandpaper. Going today to sand the inside of the boat. Still undecided if i want to spot prime just where bare aluminum is, or just prime the entire thing :?: :? Also you can see where fishfinders have been mounted over the years...lol--there is a 2 1/2" by 2" rectange on the back with about 15 screw holes in it! I am going to have an aluminum plate welded to the back of that spot, then going to fill them in with marine epoxy. I also rebucked all the rivets up front with a sledgehammer on one side and hitting them with a regular hammer. I hope this helps some, but now have to decide if i want to have them welded or just use that marine epoxy around them as well. So many decisions! Also, you can see where i grinded off the sticker, they were really on there and even sticer remover wouldnt remove them---the grinder did! On to the pics, cant really tell its been sanded, but it has and now my arms are about to fall off.

Image.

^^one of the leaky rivets. You can tell its been hit and banged on before where its so depressed into the aluminum! What would ya'll guys do in this situation?

Troutman3000

Post by Troutman3000 »

Get an order of steelflex and so teh entire bottom and halfway up the sides and all those leaky rivets will be sealed for a long time. You may have to patch the rear holes with aluminum .from the fish finders and so forth.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

Troutman3000 wrote:Get an order of steelflex and so teh entire bottom and halfway up the sides and all those leaky rivets will be sealed for a long time. You may have to patch the rear holes with aluminum .from the fish finders and so forth.
i know ive seen talk about it and searched it some, but couldnt really find what i was looking for. Where do you get it at? Also, do you mean coat it on the outside of the boat or inside, or does it matter?

Troutman3000

Post by Troutman3000 »

Look in the top thread thats stickied Everything Steelflex. Everything is in there. My opinions is that if you want to do the inside and oustide that would improve the seal. Otheres have stated thats not necessary though and only the outside is important.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

I'm almost done sading the entire boat! Got half of the inside and all of the outside done so far!