12v spotlight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txneal

Reaction score
It's been a lot of years since I did any trotline fishing, but I have a trip planned for next week. One of my main concerns is that I won't have enough light to see where I'm going. This is something I could use some suggestions on.

Since I don't have a trolling motor or fish finder, I haven't had a 12v battery in the boat before. I just purchased a set of bow lights and a stern light that run on AAA and D cell batteries. Then, after thinking about my options for being able to see to find my way across the lake and to locate my trotlines, I decided that flashlights probably aren't going to cut it. Therefore, I purchased a deep cycle marine battery today and am planning to use it for the sole purpose of running my 200,000 candle power Q-beam. I'm assuming that will be enough light to see where I'm going, but either I or my fishing partner will have to hold it and shine by hand while we are running.

My Q-Beam draws 7.36 amps and the battery I purchased has 105 amp hour rating, so I suppose that will be enough battery to keep us in light for the night? I'm bringing a backup 6volt rechargeable light just in case, but I'm really still a little concerned about getting out on the lake in the dark and finding myself without decent light to find my way back to the ramp.

After this trip, I should have a much better idea of what I need in the way of lights, but for now I'm just making plans to go for it with the Q-beam this time. I will be in a 14 foot semi-V with a 25hp Evinrude, but intend to really take it easy on the throttle in the dark. For those of you who have a lot of experience running aluminum boats in the dark, I'd like to know what you think of my idea and I would also love to hear any suggestions you have for me. Any great ideas for a future installation of good lights would be much appreciated!

I use a 100,000 rechargable at night with the ability to recharge it if necessary (Like running lines). I do 90% of my navigation at night with no light, in open water your can see more more, especially 'floaters' (More of a problem on the Mississippi than lakes) without it even on a dark moon. I use the spotlight mainly to flash the bouys in the navigation channel. Once you are off the open water and near a tree line then you tend to need the spotlight more but once you are close enough you can switch to regular flashlights. Keys things are to try to keep anything shiny in the boat from in front of you so the spotlight doesn't catch it and ruin your night vision. Holding the spotlight high and a little behind your face helps. To me the hardest time to see is the period between sunset and it getting fully dark because you can't get your night vision yet.

Just take it easy until you get familiar with the water and sit in the dark a couple of minutes before you make a long journey across the lake to get your night vision kicking in, you'll be surprised how much you can see because of the light reflective qualities of the water.