NOCO Battery Jump Starter - Any Good?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Since I have a single starting battery that also runs lights, bilge pump, livewell, 12V receptacle, and FF/Chartplotter.
I was considering keeping a jump starter on board in case the battery is dead out on water. TM could get me back but it's battery could be nearly dead when I need it.
NOCO's are on sale right now on Prime Deals.

NOCOs and other Lithium jump starters:

Do they work as advertised?
Will it start my Mercury 60hp, 4 Stoke, EFI with a dead battery?
What amps on the NOCO should I be looking at that would be more than just minimal?

Thanks!

I bought a NOCO jump pack just the other day. Received it yesterday, and I've only charged it, and not used it for "real."

The NOCO isn't the cheapest, but I bought it because of the quality of the NOCO onboard charger on my boat.

During our recent driving trip to/from Alaska, a jump pack I borrowed from my son-in-law saved our bacon, and I resolved to get one. In addition to being able to jump the car battery, I used it in one situation to charge my smart phone. Most packs will have the ability to recharge USB-powered devices.

Note: These jump packs are designed to jump lead-acid batteries (includes AGM batteries), and not lithium batteries.

I haven't used any jump starter, but have been very happy with my NOCO chargers. Only 2 years and counting, but flawless so far.

I bought a NOCO jump pack just the other day. Received it yesterday, and I've only charged it, and not used it for "real."

The NOCO isn't the cheapest, but I bought it because of the quality of the NOCO onboard charger on my boat.

During our recent driving trip to/from Alaska, a jump pack I borrowed from my son-in-law saved our bacon, and I resolved to get one. In addition to being able to jump the car battery, I used it in one situation to charge my smart phone. Most packs will have the ability to recharge USB-powered devices.

Note: These jump packs are designed to jump lead-acid batteries (includes AGM batteries), and not lithium batteries.
Which model / size (amps) did you go with?

Do new 4 stroke boat motors not come with emergency pull ropes under the cowl anymore like the old 2 strokes? I used to carry a jump pack on my snowmobile, a NOCO GB40 in fact, because I thought I couldn't pull start my fuel injected, 900 triple 4 stroke sled with a dead battery. Turns out I was wrong, it pulls over with a dead battery just fine with a rope wrapped around the clutch.

My 150 Merc has an emergency pull handle rope under the cowl, but it's a V-6 and I can't imagine pull starting the beast.

sDo new 4 stroke boat motors not come with emergency pull ropes under the cowl anymore like the old 2 strokes? I used to carry a jump pack on my snowmobile, a NOCO GB40 in fact, because I thought I couldn't pull start my fuel injected, 900 triple 4 stroke sled with a dead battery. Turns out I was wrong, it pulls over with a dead battery just fine with a rope wrapped around the clutch.

My 150 Merc has an emergency pull handle rope under the cowl, but it's a V-6 and I can't imagine pull starting the beast.
My new 2023 Mercury 60hp 4 Stroke EFI does have the emergency pull start rope under the cowling. However, below is what is written in manual.

"Emergency Starting
If the starter system fails, use the spare starter rope (provided) and follow
procedure.
NOTE: EFI models ‐ The engine must have a fully charged battery to start the

engine."

Based on this info,. what is the use of the rope on EFI engines? Bad starter, or ?

I'm debating between the NOCO 50 and 75.
50 is 1500 amps and is 4"x9"x5"
75 is 2000 amps and is 7"x4"x12"

The 75 foot print is much larger. Space on a small boat is a premium.

If you have a dead battery, you should disconnect the dead battery before jumping with anything !! A dead battery can have an internal short which can/ will instantly kill the charge on whatever your jumping with. For the original poster....why not have two batteries in your boat to prevent a dead battery from getting you back ?? A start only battery for the main engine and a house battery (deep cycle) for all electronics other than main engine. This way, you will always get back!! Then, all you need is a set of jumper cables if both batteries get low. Today, most boats have main engine and house batteries just for these reasons, when you have heavy accessory draws.

If you have a dead battery, you should disconnect the dead battery before jumping with anything !! A dead battery can have an internal short which can/ will instantly kill the charge on whatever your jumping with. For the original poster....why not have two batteries in your boat to prevent a dead battery from getting you back ?? A start only battery for the main engine and a house battery (deep cycle) for all electronics other than main engine. This way, you will always get back!! Then, all you need is a set of jumper cables if both batteries get low. Today, most boats have main engine and house batteries just for these reasons, when you have heavy accessory draws.
I agree on the second house battery. However, my rear starting battery compartment on has enough space for one battery or I would have added a second house battery.

Which model / size (amps) did you go with?
I went with THIS ONE.

To be clear, I did NOT buy the jump pack for my boat. I bought it to carry in the car.

My 2021 Merc 20HP is electric start with rope backup. The battery can be totally dead and the pull start will still work; Mercury calls it their "battery free EFI" and it's called out in some of their brochures. The name is somewhat of a misnomer because it does require a battery to be hooked up to prevent charging system damage. The rope backup works easily.

My new 2023 Mercury 60hp 4 Stroke EFI does have the emergency pull start rope under the cowling. However, below is what is written in manual.

"Emergency Starting
If the starter system fails, use the spare starter rope (provided) and follow
procedure.
NOTE: EFI models ‐ The engine must have a fully charged battery to start the

engine."

Based on this info,. what is the use of the rope on EFI engines? Bad starter, or ?

Yikes. This made me double check my owner's manual (50 HP Honda four stroke). Fortunately, it says I can use the emergency pull start rope if the battery is discharged.

Yikes. This made me double check my owner's manual (50 HP Honda four stroke). Fortunately, it says I can use the emergency pull start rope if the battery is discharged.
Your 50hp is probably carbureted...I believe Honda 50s were carbed to just a few years ago

NOCO isn’t cheap but they make good products. I have one of their LIPO starter batteries. It works great and weighs almost nothing. Also have a NOCO four bank charger that works well. I don’t think you will go wrong with their jump start batteries.

I hope Honda OB's are easier to pull than their EFI ATV's. We have a 500 foreman and if the battery is dead you're flocked! You can try to pull start it, but it ain't happening. You can't pull start it, push start it nadda. When you're pulling a trailer full of decoys at 4:00a.m. is not when you want battery problems. I have Lithium in everything I own other than road vehicles.

Also Airshot mentioned having 2 batteries. A jump pack takes up way less space than either a 2nd battery or jumper cables. Plus it's in it's own little case nice and neat.

I hope Honda OB's are easier to pull than their EFI ATV's. We have a 500 foreman and if the battery is dead you're flocked! You can try to pull start it, but it ain't happening. You can't pull start it, push start it nadda. When you're pulling a trailer full of decoys at 4:00a.m. is not when you want battery problems. I have Lithium in everything I own other than road vehicles.

Also Airshot mentioned having 2 batteries. A jump pack takes up way less space than either a 2nd battery or jumper cables. Plus it's in it's own little case nice and neat.

One of those things I hope to never have to find out. To use the pull cord, I have to remove the alternator cover which, besides backing out some bolts, requires unhooking some wiring brackets. Of course the bolts will probably end up in the water. Also need to remember that Honda outboards go counter clockwise, though I'm sure the notch for the rope is oriented that way.

I've also wondered what the chances are of starting any motor bigger than about 25 HP with a hunk of clothes line. Don't think the odds are in our favor.

As for carrying a jump start boxe, think that's a pretty good idea. Although a decent set of oars onboard isn't a bad idea either.

A year or so ago an elderly relative asked me to start his truck for him after it sat all winter with a dead battery. He had this cheesy looking smallish jump starter unit. Wish could remember the name. It was a name brand. Schumacher maybe. Told him this is a waste of time. I'll jump it with my truck. He said, NO, this ALWAYS works! OK Tom if you say so. Guess what? That 360 ci engine with an old dead battery spun over just fine and started right up! I've not had a lot of luck with these things, but if you buy the right one they seem to work really well. That said, you gotta remember to keep the thing plugged in when not using and of course add it to your laundry list of stuff to put in the boat when you head out.

Seems like though this may be overkill. Is it that hard to flag down another boat for a tow in?

Well, you guys made me look through the manuals for the 2022 90HP Yamaha and 150HP Merc. As I suspected, did not find anything on rope starting either engine. There was no rope start on my 350 Mercuiser, either. :D While I contemplated adding a house battery to the Mercruiser, never did. I just used a larger capacity battery and made sure it was always in good condition. Never had a start/cranking issue in 20+ years of ownership. If I ran into issues, was always on water that it wouldn't be long for someone to come bye. If I was on "big" water (can't see shore) proably would have a back-up.

On both of these EFI fourstrokes, they start very quickly. No long cranking periods to get them fired up, which can happen with carbed based motors. On the G3/Yamaha, carry a set of jumper cables that can jump from one of the trolling motor batteries. On the pontoon/Merc, might add that 2nd house battery, but haven't made final decision yet. Room is not the issue as it is with Tin Man's boat.