14 ft. Starcrraft, 1970, Tr. HOLS, 25 HP Johnson motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargate_to_Earth

Reaction score
So I my dad found this boat (14 ft. Starcrraft, 1970) with a 25 HP Johnson motor for $700. I am unsure if the motor works but down to what I want to get at... heres a pic of the boat and my brother...

100_0573.jpg

I was wondering what would be some good ideas for a rebuild? the seats are wooden so idk if i want to keep wooden seats.

I had a design in mind but I really want some good ideas from people who have done this before.

boatplans.png

also I am a college student and dont have a whole lot of money to put into this.

also my dad said he had a trolling motor with a foot pedal control i could use...

also I was thinking about rigging a pully system up to make a stearing wheel instead of just holding on the the motor steering thing (this is my first boat ever)

thanks for all the ideas / comments on myne. I'm new to boats and new to this forum and i thougth i would have a warmer welcome...

Your boat looks great. It seems to be in great condition and that squarish gunwhale makes it look really sturdy. If you're wanting to keep the tiller steer, then I would make a deck from the back of the boat to the front of the rear bench, with an offset seat like you have already. Then I'd make a front deck from the middle bench forward, you would probably have enough room to put a livewell in, depending on how deep you want it. Then you could probably leave a cooler on the floor between the decks. -Tucker

You asked for opinions so here it goes. First things first, check and see the condition of the motor, that will tell you how much money you have left to play with :D I'd keep the wooden seats (assuming that only the bench is wood), very easy to replace and easier on the wallet. From your plans, it looks like you would like to remove the middle bench, without ribs up the side your boat needs the bench for structural support (esp w/ the 25 on there!). So if you take the bench out, figure out a way to add some support to your vessel. Keep in mind that I'm under the impression that you are a student on a budget. I'd also leave out the livewell, possibly rig a cooler with a pump if your need a livewell or just throw the fish in a cooler. basically, keep it simple to start with, fish out of it for a summer and see what you like/don't like. You'll have a good idea by then if you want a high deck or not too. Also, stick with the tiller, would be a giant PITA to rig a console and cables. Just my opinion though, it's your boat, good luck.