14' Sea Nymph- Finished!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel Flex looks like it went on good - and good call on the thin first layer, thicker second layer... now the question is what color are you going to paint the rest of the boat?

Hey Russ. Yeah I was happy the way the Steel Flex turned out. It wasn't as difficult as I had expected.Not sure yet on color. I'm leaning toward a gray. After reading alot on here about cheaper, but good, alternatives to marine paint, I've been looking at some of the tractor paints at Tractor Supply. They have a gray called " Massey Ferguson" by Valspar that looks similar to battleship gray. I think that would look good, and there seems to be some good success with the tractor paints on some of the boats here. I can get a gallon for $30.00, and they have spray cans to match for touch ups. I like the idea of that. I'm working on my trailer now. I just bought bunk supports and hopefully can get that done in the next couple of weeks. Work's been crazy so I haven't had much time. I'll post some more pics as I go. I am looking forward to getting the sanding and painting DONE!

Work has been busy, so progress on the boat has been slow, but I've gotten some work on the trailer done, and the boat is painted!! I feel like the drudgery is behind me, and the fun stuff begins. Next will be finishing the trailer (Guide ons) and wiring, then building out the interior. Forward casting deck, rear seat and floor. More pics to come. I have been informed by the commander that our deck has to be re-stained before any more boat work. I better get busy.

Attachments

• Jon boat pics III 050.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 050.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 051.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 051.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 052.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 052.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 015.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 015.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 014.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 014.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 011.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 011.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 009.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 009.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 007.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 007.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 006.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 006.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Jon boat pics III 003.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 003.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,417
Great work of materials.
Those are some thick bunks,how high up does your boat sit?
Guess it doesn't matter,unless you shallow launch a bit.
Looks great,nice paint.

Thanks. It's about 6" above the trailer frame. I guess I'll find out about launching. I haven't done it yet. I don't think I'll have any problems with the ramps I usually use, but we'll see.

I like that massey ferguson gray... does it reflect light that bad? I can't tell on this comp if it's gloss or not

It doesn't reflect that much. It is a gloss paint, But I added a flattening agent I got from Boater's World to add to the last coat. The directions said to mix 50:50 portions for a semi gloss finish, so I pre mixed in a bucket and then put in my sprayer. The whole boat was sprayed with a good quality automotive sprayer. The finish turned out really nice. Fortunately, the few small runs I had were in inconspicuous places. The flattening agent seemed to tone down the gloss a little. The darker color doesn't seem to reflect that much anyway. Most of the interior will be covered.

Haven't posted in awhile. I've been busy with other things, but got a little work in recently. I've finished the trailer, and gone through the process of registering the boat. It had no registration when I bought it, but I found out it had been registered years ago. That took a little doing, but I got it. Also, had to get tags for trailer that had no I.D. plate or number and no tags when I bought it. I had to get 2 inspections by local law enforcement. First one was to verify it had no I.D., (probably to confirm it had not been stolen) then another one once I was done. Fill out a couple of forms and off to the tag office. I had my welder friend fabricate the stop block on the winch stand. The whole stand was homemade, and I am pleased the way it turned out. I had to sand blast the leaf springs and axle, and spray with primer and Rustoleum. I ordered new galvanized hubs and 13" wheels. Champion Trailer out of Louisiana had what I wanted, total price for two hubs, bearings, etc. and galvanized rims to my door for $150.00. I could re-use the tires. Now just about everything on this trailer is galvanized except the axle and springs. New lights and wiring to complete the trailer. Now to the inside. I think I've figured out how I want to do my floor and front deck. I'll post some more pics when I'm done.

Attachments

• JON BOAT 001.jpg
    JON BOAT 001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 926
  • JON BOAT 003.jpg
    JON BOAT 003.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 926
  • JON BOAT 004.jpg
    JON BOAT 004.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 926
  • JON BOAT 006.jpg
    JON BOAT 006.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 926
I like your boat, it looks good.

I live right below you in Woodstock!

I am right in the middle of a modification myself, starting on the trailer and working my way to the boat this weekend. I still haven't figured out what I am going to do about running/bunk boards yet. Do you know anywhere around that has mounts?

gsxraddict: Two places I know of: Bass Pro (long ways from Woodstock) and Bay Marine on Hwy 41. Take Chastain Rd all the way to 41. Turn left and Bay is immediately on the left. They will have some stuff, and can order anything you need. Bass Pro has a little more to choose from. I ordered some of mine as well. www.championtrailers.com
I needed new hubs for my trailer axle and they had galvanized ones reasonably priced.
I haven't worked on mine in awhile, but am getting back into it now that the weather is nice. I did find a used Johnson 20 hp at a really good price. (Motor is 1968, but really clean). Good luck with your build. Let's see some pics!!

It's been awhile, but I'm close. I only need to mount depthfinder and trolling motor, and add a switch panel. I found a 20 hp 1968 Johnson at a good price (Craig's list). This motor was in very good condition, and only needed a little work to get it up and running-water pump, lower unit oil, kill switch and new shift linkage. It pushes her along at a pretty good clip with just me in it. I estimate 20 mph or so. Finished floor and seats, along with some storage and battery compartments (for 2). I used someone on here's idea for hatch pulls- just stapled some nylon straps to the underside of the hatches. It works great. I decided not to hinge the hatches. I played around with the hatch dimensions and determined that 3/8" gap between the hatch and the plywood deck would give just the right fit after carpet. It's tight enough to stay put but not too hard to open. They just pull off when needed. So far I haven't felt the need to have them hinged, and it's one less thing to do. Both floors float-they aren't attached. Makes cleaning and retrieving dropped items easy. I decided to prime and paint most of the wood. I'm using the same tractor paint that I painted the hull with. It goes on great and creates a durable,water repellent finish, and it's not expensive. Tractor Supply brand paint. So far it seems durable. The best part is I've been able to get her out on the water and fish!! So far I'm pleased with the layout. It seems pretty well balanced. Easy to launch, too. Oh yeah- one more thing-ROD HOLDERS!!! That's the next thing I need to do for sure. Anyway, wanted to post some pics and say thanks for all the ideas I stole along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0198 (450 x 600).jpg
    IMG_0198 (450 x 600).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0243 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0243 (600 x 450).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0196 (450 x 600).jpg
    IMG_0196 (450 x 600).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 858
Thanks ddupre. I've had her out a few times, and I really like the way it turned out. It's taken a year working on it as time allows. I've got to get rodholders installed before the next trip. I like to troll, and that's tough holding rods with your hands/feet, etc. Then trolling motor and depthfinder, maybe some lights. Maybe another year and I'll have her completely done!! I checked out your crawdad, too. Good job, and the expressions on your daughter's face are priceless.

I'll post a few more pics after I get troll motor, depth finder and rod holders mounted. Atleast I can fish out of her now comfortably! To be continued.

So the Sea Nymph saga has come full circle. My buddy kept calling her "Spare Parts" so that's what we call her now. Trolling motor, rod holders, cup holders and depth finder all installed. It's been finished for awhile, but just got around to posting pics here on Tinboats. 50# Motor Guide pulls her along nicely. I have two batteries, one for trolling, one house for lights, bilge pump etc.
I have enjoyed using this boat, and couldn't have done it without stealing ideas from all the creative people on this site. It's great for running up the rivers around here, or take the outboard off and fish the reservoirs.

I am considering selling "Spare Parts" as I haven't been using it as much as I used to, and am in the market for a bigger boat. I'll list it here for sure if I decide to sell.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and input.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1259.jpg