14' Starcraft Semi-V project. Update Progress Pics 9-5-10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just have to play with the tilt & trim to find that sweet spot.I would also try raising the motor on the transom until it cavities, than lower it till the cavitation goes away.No sense dragging any more of the motor than necessary in the water.Also you can go in sallower water. =D>

crazymanme2 said:
You just have to play with the tilt & trim to find that sweet spot.I would also try raising the motor on the transom until it cavities, than lower it till the cavitation goes away.No sense dragging any more of the motor than necessary in the water.Also you can go in sallower water. =D>

Yes I think raising it up a little would probably help, but that is easier said than done considering it is already bolted to the transom through original holes drilled by the previous owner. I don't really want to drill any more holes in the transom right now and I certainly want it bolted on. I plan on replacing the transom this winter most likely, although it was just done less than a few years ago, it is solid but the workmanship poor and I don't really like it, maybe then I will change the height, or maybe I will find the right height, then drill more holes anyways, that would give me even more of a reason to put me a nice new transom in this winter!

However, I did get a good start today on building a compartment for my trolling motor battery and tackle/misc storage in the bow as well as building a new console. I still have some more work to do (framing, access hatch, etc.) but some pics none the less:
bowframingdraw1.jpg

There will be two more 2x2's running between the front and back on the top, along the edges of where the door will be eventually (the blue lines), everything was just 'tacked in' basically in the photos, so i could get the plywood cut, then take it all apart and seal and/or paint the various pieces.
0510101347.jpg

BowStorageDrawing.jpg

The lines are what I'm thinking right now anyways, there will be a door that gives access to the battery, then I will build compartments to hold plano tackle boxes in the space left under the bow cover. also, the area on top of the battery storage area I can sit things on, like a tackle box etc, and I am still figuring on exactly what and how i'm going to do it.

On the motor you want the anti-ventilation plate to be just at the water level when on plane. I know you don't want to make more holes on the transom, but it will be worth it to get the motor right. You can even put a small manual jack plate on it, in the original holes probably, and then get the motor height right. If you are going to rebuild the transom this Winter I would get it perfect and then build the new transom based on what you found to be the right height. Sealing the holes with some carriage bolts and 4200 will make it watertight in the meantime.

Rat said:
On the motor you want the anti-ventilation plate to be just at the water level when on plane. I know you don't want to make more holes on the transom, but it will be worth it to get the motor right. You can even put a small manual jack plate on it, in the original holes probably, and then get the motor height right. If you are going to rebuild the transom this Winter I would get it perfect and then build the new transom based on what you found to be the right height. Sealing the holes with some carriage bolts and 4200 will make it watertight in the meantime.

Thanks for the input and yeah you are probably right, and I'll probably end up doing it sooner rather than later. And thanks thats a good idea to use bolts and the 4200. Even if I don't do that I'm going to pick up some 4200 to seal up the bolts that are mounting the motor right now, as my main concern is not taking on water through them, but rather creating points where the transom is more vulnerable to water and thus accelerate any problems, because like I said the workmanship on it is very poor, I don't know what kind of wood they used, etc. and as if I really need to spend more money I have my eye on a manual jack plate. :lol:

I have been doing a little here and there between trips. I installed a Lowrance Mark 5x-Pro sonar on the bow that is easily visible from drivers position when underway. Put in switches for anchor, nav and docking lights. Also put some Wise seats in on pin type pedestals and bases. I'm getting started on doing some aluminum framing for interior compartments.
100B2920.jpg

100B2950.jpg

100_2911.jpg

100_2910.jpg

100_2908.jpg

100_2905.jpg

100_2906.jpg