1430 Lowe Jon Boat Restoration/Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
Hey Everybody, this is my first boat that doesn't involve anything inflatable, so I'm super excited about it - especially after looking at all the mods people have done on here. I've been eying an aluminum jon boat for a while, but just didn't have the extra funds to buy one & the gear I'd want to go with it, so it's just been watching for a little over a year now. I finally found one on Craigslist that was listed for $175 - it wasn't quite what I was looking for (I'd like to get a 1440 or 1448, but they're just not in the but budget for now) but when I talked to the guy he offered it to me for $100 and I couldn't turn it down. The boat didn't include a trailer, but I was able to secure it to the back of my truck and get it home and into the back yard.

The initial repairs - at the time of purchase I could tell that the transom needed to be replaced badly as it looked like it was the original from 20+ years ago. I was also told that the boat took on water and the guy didn't know from where. I've replaced the transom using pressure treated lumber (I know I should probably use metal, but I lack the skills & experience dealing with metal to be comfortable with doing something like that just yet) and filled the boat with water to find the leaks, then filled the leaks w/3M Marine Sealant.

I just finished the second go-around of leak repairs after filling the boat up a second time and I thought I'd get started asking for some help and ideas. Honestly my plan is to try and keep the cost of this project as low(e) as possible because I'd like to try and sell the boat in the spring and buy something bigger. My plans are to make her seaworthy, repaint, and put in seating (possibly altering the current metal benches).

I've taken a couple of pictures (the white stuff is the sealant) to show what I'm working with and I'd like to know if anyone could tell me if it would be a problem to remove the 2 benches that run between the back bench and the transom? It would make more room for the battery & anchor and would also lighten the weight slightly (I'm concerned with the max weight at only 470 for people & gear).

P.S. The drain hole in the back seems to be leaking, any tips on how to fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    539 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    516.4 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    732.2 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG