What Size Solid Rivets for 1988 Bass Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossberg

Reaction score
I’m redoing a 1988 Bass Tracker Pro 17. I’ve got it stripped down to just the aluminum hull and before installing foam board, decking and framing, I next need to test for leaks in the hull filling the bottom of the boat with water. In looking at some of the rivets in the center of the bottom of the boat above the keel even before looking for leaks, it’s clear some will need to be replaced. There was flex seal covering some of the rivets inside the boat and the rivets are flush with the bottom inside floor in the center of the boat (no part of the rivet rises above the floor like they should). I think this is from the keel pulling the rivet downward and that is why some rivets were leaking and covered with flex seal.

Anyone know what size solid rivets were used in the bottom of a 1988 Bass Tracker and rivet length? What size rivets should I get that go through the keel into the bottom of the hull vs rivets that are found in other area below the water line? I’m thinking either 3/16 or 1/4 solid rivets, but not sure which one or what lengths to get. I’d like to get a small assortment kit of different sized solid rivets, but the only assortment kits I can find on Amazon are metric I also assume I should get solid aluminum rivets with brazier head, correct? I have a pneumatic hammer, rivet bit, bucking bar and 3M 5200 sealant for the install.

I just want to get a small quantity of different size solid aluminum rivets to have on hand to replace what is needed. Also trying to find a local retailer for solid rivets. I live in Charlotte, NC area. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I don't know the size. I would remove the bad ones and go from there with the proper size.

Long time TB member, @DaleH has previously recommended "rivetsonline.com". Another legit place that would have them is McMaster-Carr. I don't know about assortment packs. Folks do talk about cutting down rivets that are too long. That would be OK for a few, but if a lot, I would order the correct sizes.

I don't know the size. I would remove the bad ones and go from there with the proper size.

Long time TB member, @DaleH has previously recommended "rivetsonline.com". Another legit place that would have them is McMaster-Carr. I don't know about assortment packs. Folks do talk about cutting down rivets that are too long. That would be OK for a few, but if a lot, I would order the correct sizes.
Thank LDUBS,

Appreciate your reply. I ended up ordering 3/16” and 1/4” solid rivets at lengths of 3/8” and 1/2” and will see which ones work. Thanks!

To remove an old corroded rivet, use a sharp wood chisel. Lay the angled side of chisel flat against the hull, and keeping it flat to the hull, tap with a hammer to pop/cut the head off the rivet. Then use a nail set or small punch to push the stem through. This won't damage the hole, and you will know what size in less than a minute.

I hope it goes well for you.