16ft mirrocraft build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The po had front deck attached on top of bow.
I was thinking of doing the same but not sure if its
A good idea or not. Any suggestions or ideas.

Attachments

• IMAG0530.jpg
    IMAG0530.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 773
Did leak test. No leaks.
Happy with the little progress I made this weekend.

Got some rustelum bed liner don't know how good it is.
Any option let ne know I won't be doin until next weekend.

John

Love the start of this build, I was thinkin about trying to find a 16, 17, or 18 ft john boat for my next build, more of an offshore style boat with duals and a platform. I got twin 50 yahamas that I was gonna use for it, so I might have to steal any cool ideas you come up with. You gonna put a polling platform and all that on it? Also kinda backing up a past post, got bigger than a 9.9 or a 15 with this big of a boat they might not even plane it. I personally would atleast find a 25 or 35 hp, like he said when a thunderstorm starts rollin in on you, you'll appreciate the extra hp. Also higher hp engines you can cruise at a comfortable speed at around half throttle burning a lot less fuel.

Go luck with the build!

flajsh said:

I attached mine a few inched down - built a frame off the side using "L" angles to start and bolting them to the sides.

Made a riser for the TM and structure for the pedestal seat

I will see if the photos are around if you like!

Captain Ahab said:
flajsh said:

I attached mine a few inched down - built a frame off the side using "L" angles to start and bolting them to the sides.

Made a riser for the TM and structure for the pedestal seat

I will see if the photos are around if you like!
Yes that would be great if I can see them

Good start on your mod. I would not use the aircraft remover personally. I tried it and 1. its expensive. 2. it did not work that well for me. If your factory finish is still on the boat, which it looks like it is, I would try the zip strip at home depot or lowes. I worked on mine for two weekends to get the old factory primer off. Through my trial and error the zip strip worked well for me followed by a good pressure wash. Don't let the stripper dry or you will have to spend even more time getting the old paint and primer off. A good heat gun will remove the decals real fast. If you plan of framing for a deck I would recommend you use aluminum angle iron for your side supports. Both of my casting decks will finish out about 3-4 inches below the gunwales. Good work so far. Fire away with the questions and you will receive good feed back.....

See ya
Kevin

I've got a 91 30hp short shaft evinrude I'll sell you. Just did a bunch of work on it and it is running great.

moberg12 said:
I've got a 91 30hp short shaft evinrude I'll sell you. Just did a bunch of work on it and it is running great.
What are you asking for it.
what kind of work was done.

flajsh said:
moberg12 said:
What are you asking for it.
what kind of work was done.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25391

I'll have the pics up tomorrow.

The price he is asking for the 30 hp seems real fair to me. My motor has almost no hours on it, I considered getting that motor.

bigwave said:
The price he is asking for the 30 hp seems real fair to me. My motor has almost no hours on it, I considered getting that motor.
Wont be able to swing that money for couple weeks. Maybe in couple weeks.

Ok guys got couple questions.
First. This weekend I want to but bed liner on inside of hull.
Do you think I can just rough it up with sand paper and then apply.

Second. I guess its best to take the hull all the way down to the tin.
Not sure.

So fire away :shock:

Why do you want to put bedliner on your hull? My MirroCraft is 30 (plus) years old and completely dry - those boats use heavy gauge metal for the hull

Captain Ahab said:
Why do you want to put bedliner on your hull? My MirroCraft is 30 (plus) years old and completely dry - those boats use heavy gauge metal for the hull
I didn't see any leaks. I guess just for extra piece of mind cause when its decked
I wont be able to see if leaking.

Guess just paranoid.

Hey Flajsh, the only reason I put the bed liner in my boat was for extra corrosion protection. If I was on a lake I would have left the factory finish on the inside hull. I just roughed up the old paint and hit it with a quick acetone rag before I sprayed down the bed liner. I used 4 cans on mine. It is not perfect and you can see the over spay on mine, but eventually it will have foam resting on it and the sides will be painted and covered with plywood, never gonna see it anyways. I think that this method will be best suited for a saltwater environment.

bigwave said:
Hey Flajsh, the only reason I put the bed liner in my boat was for extra corrosion protection. If I was on a lake I would have left the factory finish on the inside hull. I just roughed up the old paint and hit it with a quick acetone rag before I sprayed down the bed liner. I used 4 cans on mine. It is not perfect and you can see the over spay on mine, but eventually it will have foam resting on it and the sides will be painted and covered with plywood, never gonna see it anyways. I think that this method will be best suited for a saltwater environme

Big
Yes I will be using it in saltwater only. I was gonna roll it on but I think I might go get the spray cans to do
It. I think I will be able to get around the ribs and rivets better that way.

Ok club members :lol:
And non club members. I'm looking into motors and I need to know
How do I know whether I need short shaft or long.

Ladies need not reply we already know your answer :lol: