1968 14ft Richline semi v...starting the rebuild on pg 4

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is the updated pics with the carpet. my plan has changed a little. im not goimg to build a back deck right now. my wife doesnt think she would like to be up that high, so she will just fish from the floor. and since she will be my main partner, i decided to build it to suit her also. i can always add the deck if she changes her mind.
myboat0010.jpg
myboat0020.jpg

well after two weekends, about 25 hrs of grinding and sanding, i got to apply my steelflex today. i was hoping for a blue as dark or darker than ober51's boat. not even close, so the wife and i havent decided if we are going to paint over steelflex or just go with it. i forgot camera so i will get pics tomorrow. we are gonna attach the interior and put the boat in the water on saturday even though its not finished yet. who am i kidding. are these type of projects ever finished?

stew6371 said:
well after two weekends, about 25 hrs of grinding and sanding, i got to apply my steelflex today. i was hoping for a blue as dark or darker than ober51's boat. not even close, so the wife and i havent decided if we are going to paint over steelflex or just go with it. i forgot camera so i will get pics tomorrow. we are gonna attach the interior and put the boat in the water on saturday even though its not finished yet. who am i kidding. are these type of projects ever finished?

Which blue did you choose? And if you remember, I was pretty unhappy with the black steel flex on my first mod, but it turned out more than fine. I think a second coat is more trouble than it's worth (of steel flex or paint) and is really not needed (directly from Fasco's mouth). I'm sure it will look great. Maybe think of a contrasting color for the top or some lines to make it a bit different than you anticipated?

well stage 1 done. boat is now fishable, just not finished. the steelflex turned out great except it isnt dark enough, but should seal well. i still have to make the cover for the fuel tank area and paint the front of the rear bench and carpet the bottom of the sides. that stuff will get done here and there as i plan to use it more than i work on it. i probably wont paint the outside until winter. so far i have had a lot of fun with this(except for the steelflex preparation). my wife has quite a few hours wrapped up in the boat also. at one time i had my wife and her parents helping. here are some pics of the boat.

Attachments

• boat 007-a.jpg
    boat 007-a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 008-a.jpg
    boat 008-a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 009-a.jpg
    boat 009-a.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 010-a.jpg
    boat 010-a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 011-a.jpg
    boat 011-a.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 012-a.jpg
    boat 012-a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 013-a.jpg
    boat 013-a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 014-a.jpg
    boat 014-a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 6,311
  • boat 015-a.jpg
    boat 015-a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6,311
Looks great, love that color. Someone else can corroborate, but I was under the impression that if you let the exposed aluminum sit for a while, it will oxidize again. This means that if you just sanded it down, now would be the time to prime and paint, because later you're going to have to scuff it up again. I might be wrong, but I thought I read that on this forum somewhere.

thanks ober51. the color isnt bad, i was just hoping it would match the inside of the boat. but oh well. thanks for the heads up about aluminum oxidizing. i wasnt aware.

stew6371 said:
thanks ober51. the color isnt bad, i was just hoping it would match the inside of the boat. but oh well. thanks for the heads up about aluminum oxidizing. i wasnt aware.

I know how it feels not to be 100% satisfied, but take it from me, that thing looks sweet. You are well on your way to one sharp looking rig. I don't think a Week will mess with oxidation too bad - plus, you need to throw some color on there to make it look sharp (I vote white, btw).

ober51 said:
stew6371 said:

I know how it feels not to be 100% satisfied, but take it from me, that thing looks sweet. You are well on your way to one sharp looking rig. I don't think a Week will mess with oxidation too bad - plus, you need to throw some color on there to make it look sharp (I vote white, btw).

thanks. white would look good. my original plan was to paint the whole boat blue and paint around the very top a gray to match carpet. i will have to take a side shot of it and play with it on paint to see if i can get some idea what i want to do. my wife said i should paint it pink. she is doing all she can to get me to put pink on it somewhere. i havnt caved yet though.

dang if you have the in-laws helping you must be doing somthing rite :mrgreen:

tell your old lady that you obay the laws, and a pink boat is against every man law there is

stew6371 said:
ober51 said:
stew6371 said:

thanks. white would look good. my original plan was to paint the whole boat blue and paint around the very top a gray to match carpet. i will have to take a side shot of it and play with it on paint to see if i can get some idea what i want to do. my wife said i should paint it pink. she is doing all she can to get me to put pink on it somewhere. i havnt caved yet though.

A pink ribbon for breast cancer on the inside of the hull, would be a nice touch. I saw someone do that and just thought of it.

Loggerhead Mike said:
dang if you have the in-laws helping you must be doing somthing rite :mrgreen:

tell your old lady that you obay the laws, and a pink boat is against every man law there is

lol. my inlaws are awesome. i tell my wife i could never divorce her cause i like her parents too much. they are actually our best friends. all my friends still party all the time and we dont anymore so i dont hang out with them much.

she said i obey her laws and all is good. she has a pink rod and reel and her tackle bag has pink also. she said she would settle for her name on the boat in pink letters with a pink lilly by her name.

i havent had much time for the boat. went to kansas on fri day for a funeral saturday and got back home 1:30 sunday morning. then i helped father in law do some work around his place. finally i got to work on the boat a bit. got the switchpanel wired up and lights and bilge work now. just have to mount switchpanel and then i will take more pics. but that could be awhile as i found out my grandfather passed away sunday evening, so i will be going to another funeral this week and then i have a tourney on saturday then back to work on sunday. so be patient.

Really sorry to hear about the deaths in your family, hang in there, the time will come. Keep up the great work bud!

thanks for the encouragement. things are coming together. im just glad i can fish the thing now if i could find time to go.

worked on the boat awhile today and got a few things accomplished. the boat is all wired and switchpanel is mounted. floor is finished. i ended up making some extra storage in the floor. ill let the pics speak for themselves. i still need to attach carpet at bottom of sides and build a cover for fuel tank.

Attachments

• boat 016a.jpg
    boat 016a.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 017a.jpg
    boat 017a.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 018a.jpg
    boat 018a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 019a.jpg
    boat 019a.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 020a.jpg
    boat 020a.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 021a.jpg
    boat 021a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 022a.jpg
    boat 022a.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,946
  • boat 023a.jpg
    boat 023a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,946
wife and i took the boat out today for its maiden voyage. i was surprised at how stable it was. im not sure if we could flip it over. i think we would fall in first. motor ran pretty good but would not get on plane. i think it needs new plugs and carb cleaned. only got 4 bites and caught 2. no pics. forgot camera. we both enjoyed being out in the boat so it was all good.

I'm just wondering what kind of paint you used on the inside of your boat. Your rig is looking great btw. Really like the storage up front. Hopefully mine will turn out that well.

ntxandy said:
I'm just wondering what kind of paint you used on the inside of your boat. Your rig is looking great btw. Really like the storage up front. Hopefully mine will turn out that well.
thanks. i used walmart brand spray paint. it will get redone eventually with better paint. so far it is holding up ok though.