1970 Chrysler 25HP only runs for a second or two

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicktheww2fanatic

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Chrysler outboard I just picked up on my 1968 Meyers aluminum v-hull. Up until last weekend I went fishing, and when I decided to head back in, the motor wouldn't start. I replaced the connection between the gas tank and the fuel line because it didn't seem to be getting any gas. After doing that, it starts for a second or two, but won't continue running. Any idea what is going on?

Here are some pictures

Over time and ethanol the diaphragm in the fuel pump may have cracked and needs to be rebuilt..

To test the pump you can always put a clear line from the fuel pump to the carb to verify gas is getting to the carb via pump. Don t leave it on there due to most of the clear tubing isn't rated for gas and will melt over time..

You sure on the year? whats the serial #?

The guy I bought the boat/motor from seemed sure it was a 1970, but based on the model number it looks like a 1978.

Model #256H8C
Serial #1217

Here is a picture of the tag on the motor:

Here is a short video of what the motor will do right now...

You could always disconnect the fuel line from the carb and when you crank it over it should pump gas. If it works gas should spew out all over, catch it in something.

If nothing I would say fuel pump rebuild.

i am just a shade tree mechanic and these are all suggestions..

Well, figured out the problem. Less serious than I assumed. The quick-disconnect coupling at the motor cowl had a sticky valve, worked it a few times, and now she runs like a top. Just need to replace one of the screws holding wires to the alternator. At least now I know why my starting battery is always almost fully charged now.