1971 starcraft center console project starting now.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pajam

Reaction score
Heres my 1971 starcraft 18ft boat!Gonna be lots a work on this old salty fish.Anyhow i have edited this page to make it current with pict. I am a true hard core boater and fisherman,I dont litter up the waters and if i dont go to the lake at least once a month i get the shakes, im sure you know the feeling! Catch and release is the only way i fish and i give them a big kiss and photo and move on to the next cast,all the while keeping my eye on the motor and boat listening,looking,feeling for the next problem to arise. I have been towed in once and towed many others my friends call me double check.Just a little info for you guys.!BwgM)Iw!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!hIEvri1owSfBMJPwe!i,!~~_12.jpg

Hows the interior? If you're planning to replace it,I'd gut the interior then take it to a lake or river, leave it on the trailer and let it float. See if there's any leaks. Keep us posted. This board has a lot of info. Those center console boats look like a fishing boat to me. Good luck Todd

lucescoflathead said:
Hows the interior? If you're planning to replace it,I'd gut the interior then take it to a lake or river, leave it on the trailer and let it float. See if there's any leaks. Keep us posted. This board has a lot of info. Those center console boats look like a fishing boat to me. Good luck Todd

Thanks people for responding! I am trying to put more pictures up but there too big i believe. Workin on it.I took the floor out and foam too.filling some small holes on transom where transducers have been and theres a livewell pump that needs to be blocked off for now before i can put in lake on trailer. So leave the tie downs on her right? So she will sink down more.Theres lots of dirt and old stuff im cleaning out right now then ill take to lake and show pics.!Bwl2Z7wBWk~$(KGrHqN,!hEEv1+zyBfNBMJtct1u0!~~_12.jpg

nice looking boat...I just got an 18'SS starcraft (1983) I put a 90HP 4stroke on her. she rides real nice. Please post pics of all your progress.
does yours have a bilge pump ? I just changed mine to a auto, seems like I'm taking on a little water. It turns on about every 45 min. and pumps out about 2-3 gallons. I think I was getting it from the transom where the water comes over the back. On your run to the lake throw some water up there and see what happens. I just pulled the chalking off last night and replaced it. won't know until my next trip if this was the problem.

good luck

williamk12 said:
nice looking boat...I just got an 18'SS starcraft (1983) I put a 90HP 4stroke on her. she rides real nice. Please post pics of all your progress.
does yours have a bilge pump ? I just changed mine to a auto, seems like I'm taking on a little water. It turns on about every 45 min. and pumps out about 2-3 gallons. I think I was getting it from the transom where the water comes over the back. On your run to the lake throw some water up there and see what happens. I just pulled the chalking off last night and replaced it. won't know until my next trip if this was the problem.

good luck
Bildge pump? Whats that? Just kidding. Right now mine has severe work to be done before i can go there. On the other hand i have a 1964 shell lake fiberglass boat that i can leave in the water for a weak and not get a drop of water out the drain plug afterwards.Something on your boat is leaking,but if your bildge is good and you dont stay on the water for 3 days everytime your ok.But to be safe lets fix it.Need more info about your leak though.45 min sitting all night fishing is a worry.or 12 big boys swimming in and out of boat every 5min is different.1st day of pajam rebuild 007.JPGcamping 2010 027.JPG

Ok here we go, heres the problems so far! I have found about 85 cents and a lot of screws and dirt and leaves. And a few spots that ar1st day of pajam rebuild 006.JPGe broken in the aluminum structure of the boat around the stern.Not to mention this funny thing like a temp sensor in the hull that sticks up a few inches not pictured yet..1st day of pajam rebuild 003.JPG Well what do ya think so far?

from your pic I can see you have a lot of work, I'd be glad to help but your are 2000 miles away...don't thing I could swing it. However I will be in Vegas on business(?) in October. are you nearby ?
Re: my boat-unfortunately I have not had a bunch of big boys swimming in and out...so I'm taking on water just sitting there fishing. I have no Idea where or how to start looking other than the obvious. I've checked all underwater areas and I've seen nothing. some rivet heads are worn down and some have caulking on them. but they seem fine any Ideas ?? :?

williamk12 said:
from your pic I can see you have a lot of work, I'd be glad to help but your are 2000 miles away...don't thing I could swing it. However I will be in Vegas on business(?) in October. are you nearby ?
Re: my boat-unfortunately I have not had a bunch of big boys swimming in and out...so I'm taking on water just sitting there fishing. I have no Idea where or how to start looking other than the obvious. I've checked all underwater areas and I've seen nothing. some rivet heads are worn down and some have caulking on them. but they seem fine any Ideas ?? :?

Hi william thats your name i imagine. Or maybe bill, coming to vegas huh,thats where i live in north vegas near the nellis air force base. Man could i use some help! As far as your leaking problems some pics of ur boat would help and knowing if you have a livewell and such things is what im looking for to be the problem. Now those rivets are also on the list.But serious its a 83 i think and your problem is very little, no worries my brother just a matter of time and understanding.I really need pics of the stern and transom inside and out to see what were dealing with ok. I am hungry and time for bed so for now goodnight and safe boating.

Welcome aboard pajam. Looks like you've got a great project to work on. Looking forward to the progress. The knee brace looks like it can be welded. I'd look for someone nearbye that is setup to weld aluminum. You might want to use him/her more than once during your build.

william, I don't want to hijack pajam's thread, but you may try filling the boat up with water (to the waterline) and looking from underneath. That should show you where the water is coming in. Make sure that your trailer can handle the weight. Pics would be helpful, which you should put in a new thread.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Look what i found on ebay for 92.00 shipping included. Awesome i think,one problem came off a mercury and i have a johnson. I need to go over too storage and see whats different,probally the threads i imagine.Well its looks like a bass boat wheel on my center console should be cooler than those chrome ones i see on the other boats.Being i live in vegas and 115 temp in summer is a really hot wheel too hold.001.JPGThats my livewell under the wheel that im fixin.I was going to use it for my seat behind the wheel for driving do you think i should put it in the front of console instead people.

Well i see everyones lookin at this forum but not much feedback and ideas on my project. My new question is i need to get the boat off the trailer and strip the bottom and cover with steel flex or some thing. what is the best and easiest way to flip over this big boy?I can lift the front and back of boat myself, but theres plenty of movement when i push up on bow, as in flexing from side to side and it seems to scare me if i try to turn it over.Thanks for any ideas tinboaters.

im sure someone else has some genius idea but i would say just get a few budys to help you flip it. set it in the grass and then just have everyone grab something so it doesnt flex too much and then roll it over(that's what she said). then you can just move it wherever you need to from there

Hey gunner, whatever you says goes being that you look like the guys in my video games,( hard core) that is, but how to get it off trailer my gunner friend? any ideas on that? in iraq the hummer would probally do the trick! the trailer has the guide ons welded on to it by the way.Whats your location are you still over there keepin the peace? Thanks my brother, if it wasnt for guys like you i know i wouldnt be out here fishn in peace.FOR REAL

The easiest way I have found to get a boat off the trailer is to back it in water and let it float off. :LOL2: On the other hand that won't help you much, I hung my 14&16 footer from the roof in the garage. Two 18' straps and two small chain hoists, even fliped the flat bottom while it was in the slings. I don't think I will be able to do that with the 16 though, Its to heavy and the curve in the bow is so steep I think the strap will slip. How much do you thank you boat weighs? I think I will be able to roll the 16' over in the grass with another person or two then man handle it back on the trailer.

Pruitt1222 said:
The easiest way I have found to get a boat off the trailer is to back it in water and let it float off. :LOL2: On the other hand that won't help you much, I hung my 14&16 footer from the roof in the garage. Two 18' straps and two small chain hoists, even fliped the flat bottom while it was in the slings. I don't think I will be able to do that with the 16 though, Its to heavy and the curve in the bow is so steep I think the strap will slip. How much do you thank you boat weighs? I think I will be able to roll the 16' over in the grass with another person or two then man handle it back on the trailer.

Well if i was going to redo it at the lake that would work.But maybe i can float it off pull it on the beach next to trailer and then turn over onto the trailer?As far as weight im guessing 4 guys could move her pretty much anywhere.But im worried about the flexing and i live in a mobile home park with no garage or space its in storage.Sucks having this thing dreaming about workin on it and getting 1 day a week to do anything.

pajam said:
Well i see everyones lookin at this forum but not much feedback and ideas on my project. My new question is i need to get the boat off the trailer and strip the bottom and cover with steel flex or some thing. what is the best and easiest way to flip over this big boy?I can lift the front and back of boat myself, but theres plenty of movement when i push up on bow, as in flexing from side to side and it seems to scare me if i try to turn it over.Thanks for any ideas tinboaters.

I renewed a 16 ft. Starcraft SS like yours a couple of years ago. I always tie ropes thru the eyes on the transom to a solid object (tree, building, car) and pull the trailer out from the boat letting the boat rest on tires or such. After that, my son and I flipped it over on to old tires and went to work on it. I am a 60 year old man so I know if I can do it, a young man definately can. I also did my old 16 ft. Lone Star that way as well.
Good luck on your project! :)

My boat is 20' and I didn't have a trailer so I put it on furniture dollies in the garage.
I built an A frame to pick it up.
DSC00113s.jpg

The red and white line is a loop that runs through the main block letting the boat rotate.
DSC00112s.jpg

mmf said:
I renewed a 16 ft. Starcraft SS like yours a couple of years ago. I always tie ropes thru the eyes on the transom to a solid object (tree, building, car) and pull the trailer out from the boat letting the boat rest on tires or such. After that, my son and I flipped it over on to old tires and went to work on it. I am a 60 year old man so I know if I can do it, a young man definately can. I also did my old 16 ft. Lone Star that way as well.
Good luck on your project! :)

Got to admit though, Mike's idea is low tech, cheap, and easy on the back......good luck! :)