1975 Fisher Marine Bateau 1438 Mod -**NEW PICS OCT 16**

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ictalurus said:
=D> =D> =D>

Well done sir, fantastic looking boat! If I could make just one suggestion, I would be concerned how you mounted your tie downs on the gusset. It may be putting a twisting stress on all the wrong places, consider relocating your stern anchor points. Great looking boat, I love the on board radio.

Thanks, I will do that. That was the way those tie downs came on the boat originally, although probably not meant to tie it down the way I am using it. They were probably made to put a strap across the back and lift the boat. I guess I could use the handles on the back of the boat? I think that is the only other place without adding something.

Wow, you did really good on your boat. This might be a weird question, but are you willing to sell this boat? I know you just got done with it but I am just a beginner/moderate fisherman and I'm looking for a Jon Boat that's already modded and ready to go. Let me know. Thanks and good job on the boat.

got2fish said:
Wow, you did really good on your boat. This might be a weird question, but are you willing to sell this boat? I know you just got done with it but I am just a beginner/moderate fisherman and I'm looking for a Jon Boat that's already modded and ready to go. Let me know. Thanks and good job on the boat.

Thanks for the inquiry, but I really would like to hold on to it for a while. It's been in the family for a long time.

Got sick of dealing with the anchor line getting tangled up so I ordered a anchor mate. Just got it in so that will be another addition I hadn't planned on.

Great job on the boat, it's given me some ideas for mine. I've got a 77 Fisher that I've just started on and was wondering what sort of covering you've got on your side panels. Mine had carpet glued to the aluminum sheet but I didn't really want to go back with carpet on the sides.

JMichael said:
Great job on the boat, it's given me some ideas for mine. I've got a 77 Fisher that I've just started on and was wondering what sort of covering you've got on your side panels. Mine had carpet glued to the aluminum sheet but I didn't really want to go back with carpet on the sides.

Thanks! Mine were the original aluminum panels. They were originally a forest green color, I sanded and painted them. Post some pics once you start working, I'd love to see another Fisher project.

In your last post that included pictures, there is one picture showing the rod tips running under the front deck. In that picture, it looks as though there is some uniform texture to the panel. Is it a textured aluminum with paint over it?

I've already started a thread with pics of the tearout. I didn't have the link in my sig, so I've added that now.

JMichael said:
In your last post that included pictures, there is one picture showing the rod tips running under the front deck. In that picture, it looks as though there is some uniform texture to the panel. Is it a textured aluminum with paint over it?

I've already started a thread with pics of the tearout. I didn't have the link in my sig, so I've added that now.

Yeah, I took a look at yours and it doesn't seem to have the panels that mine has. Mine had textured aluminum panels in those areas, and they covered pieces of styrofoam. They could be made pretty easily i would guess. They are just the same size as the opening and they have a bend on each end, probably about 3/4 inch is bent on a 90 deg angle on each side and that portion fits inside those sections. They also tuck under on the top, and then some small piece of trim on the bottom holds them in.

on page 1 of my project you can see a pic with one of the panels removed (foam showing) and on page 3 you can see a pic with the trim after I painted and re-installed it. (brown, at bottom).

OK, that explains the difference then. Mine has the foam and panels. The panels just aren't textured like yours. It's smooth aluminum with carpet clued to them. I had already removed mine before I found this site and started taking pictures. I've got them tucked away in storage right now.

I've got some PVC coated aluminum that has a wood grain sort of texture on them. It's the stuff I use when doing a vinyl siding job on a house. I'm considering making some new panels from that. I've only got it in white and tan and don't think I would want either of those colors in the boat so I'd have to repaint them if I did that.

Stay away from zinc. Stainless hardware only! Also we use a dab of
3M 5200 marine caulk on threads. It will stop vibrations from loosing harware as well as seal any through hull applications.

how in the world did you apply your steelflex so perfectly!? i did the bottom of my tracker 1436 and it absolutely looks like garbage and annoys the crap out of me lol

HILLDADDY88 said:
how in the world did you apply your steelflex so perfectly!? i did the bottom of my tracker 1436 and it absolutely looks like garbage and annoys the crap out of me lol

Thanks, it was painful. I did one thin coat, and then a thick coat. On both coats I would walk around the boat and brush out any runs until I could no longer do anymore. (when too tacky, but to the point that it wouldn't run) I also did the last coat in multiple sections. Sides of course are the hardest, that where I did most of the "touch ups" as it was drying.

Dude. I am wow'd. That is a nice looking piece of floatery. This thread specifically answered many questions i had reguarding how to do my own rig. I really like the rod holder you've got going on there. I couldnt really come up with any conclusions on how to keep mine secure, and from rattling around off the aluminum. Also to not have them sticking upwards, because more often than not i am skipping under docks and need to sidearm cast. That seems like a great route to take. Also your craftmanship is amazing. I hope mine turns out half this nice.

Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Dude. I am wow'd. That is a nice looking piece of floatery. This thread specifically answered many questions i had reguarding how to do my own rig. I really like the rod holder you've got going on there. I couldnt really come up with any conclusions on how to keep mine secure, and from rattling around off the aluminum. Also to not have them sticking upwards, because more often than not i am skipping under docks and need to sidearm cast. That seems like a great route to take. Also your craftmanship is amazing. I hope mine turns out half this nice.

Thanks for the compliment, haven't been able to log in for a while so I just saw it. I was lucky with mounting the rod holder. The side panels on my boat were perfect to rivet too, so it made it very easy. They are holding very well still and do not rattle. If not for those panels though, I am not sure what I would have done.

Latest posts