1978 Johnson control box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveLiberty

Reaction score
Got a new (to me) 1978 Johnson 35 hp. I’m going to change out all the control cables as the ones it came with are far too long for my boat.

Anybody know how to detach the cable from the control box? Kinda tough to see in the pic but the cable comes in from the right of the box into that long yellow piece.

b8deeaf9b6085402cda49c3569e83187.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic loaded sideways, so technically in the pic, the cable comes from the bottom.

Pull the handle off. The wire that's sticking out the end is held in place by the set screws you can see on the end of the white plastic piece.

Shaugh said:
Pull the handle off. The wire that's sticking out the end is held in place by the set screws you can see on the end of the white plastic piece.

So if I take out/loosen those small screws, the cable should just pull out the end?

Loosen the set screws (allen head). Note that there should be approx. 1/16-1/8" of cable core sticking out the end of the white plastic.
The other half of the story is how you safely attach your new "Type O" cable again.
Place your new "Type O" cable into the white plastic piece allowing the above amount to protrude.
Run one of your set screws in until it contacts the cable. Turn another full turn. This will put a kink in the cable (on purpose).
Run the opposite set screw in and tighten against the cable.
This will insure a safe cable installation.