1981 Monark 1464 jon boat mod by Express

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont laugh at my wiring! i couldnt find a power block the day i did it.

P1020442.jpg

That's an amazing conversion you did with your boat, especially given the short time frame!

A couple of questions:

1) In constructing your aluminum framing, were any of the rivets through the hull, or were they only into the bottom "ribs" and bench seats?

2) Did you use "blind" rivets?

3) What kind of plywood did you use? How thick? Did you waterproof it with polyurethane?

4) Are all the plywood pieces permanently bolted to your framing? I can't tell how those angled side pieces (where your rod holders are attached) are held in place.

Thanks for the help. I'm in the process now of trying to locate a project boat for myself!

dkuster said:
That's an amazing conversion you did with your boat, especially given the short time frame!

A couple of questions:

1) In constructing your aluminum framing, were any of the rivets through the hull, or were they only into the bottom "ribs" and bench seats?

2) Did you use "blind" rivets?

3) What kind of plywood did you use? How thick? Did you waterproof it with polyurethane?

4) Are all the plywood pieces permanently bolted to your framing? I can't tell how those angled side pieces (where your rod holders are attached) are held in place.

Thanks for the help. I'm in the process now of trying to locate a project boat for myself!

thanks for the compliments dkuster. i had a good time with this project

- i didnt rivet through the hull only to the ribs and benches

- i used standard aluminum pop rivets and an air rivet gun (buy one and you will love it!)

- for the the casting decks & floor i used 5/8" sub floor plywood which is sanded on one side and ok to use outdoors. its also affordable

- for the sides i used the same wood in 1/4"

- i sealed the wood with "Pittsburgh Paints" brand Ultra advanced deck,fence & siding stain semi transparent, advanced 2-way waterproofing, ultra uv protection, acrylic oil formula, in a cedar color "716" i believe. (5yr protection on decks & 7yr on fence/siding)
the paint rep said it would be the best for my application and that the colored stain will penetrate much deeper. not sure if i made the right decision but time will tell. and water just beaded up on it and ran off when i tested it.

- the seat bases are enough to hold the decks in place but for good measure i added one screw in the front corners of the back deck and one screw in the rear corners of the front deck. as for the sides, after carpeting them they were tight enough to stay in place but i added one screw on each side towards the front also for good measure. the vertical pieces on either side of the floor are basically sandwiched in place and are not fastened at all.

i can take all of the wood out of the boat in about 5 minutes.

good luck!

Thanks for the info!

I'm just starting out and I'm learning as much as i can...

Cheers!

-dan

Where did you get the carpet? How has it held up? I'm getting ready to carpet mine. Thanks.

:D Hey Express I got that same boat with a 15hp Johnson. I like the mods that you did. Do you currently still have the boat and how did it perform after the mods. Thinking about going this route.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324791#p324791 said:
Big_Kahuna » Yesterday, 18:14[/url]"]:D Hey Express I got that same boat with a 15hp Johnson. I like the mods that you did. Do you currently still have the boat and how did it perform after the mods. Thinking about going this route.

Thanks. I do still have the boat and am happy with it. I just put a 25 Mariner on it which should push it pretty good. Hope to install a bow mounted trolling motor and upgrade the fish finder at some point.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334256#p334256 said:
Express » 12 Nov 2013, 09:45[/url]"]Boat is now for sale. $1250 no motor or gas tank. PM me for info

Did you sell the boat :?:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343428#p343428 said:
Big_Kahuna » 35 minutes ago[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334256#p334256 said:
Express » 12 Nov 2013, 09:45[/url]"]Boat is now for sale. $1250 no motor or gas tank. PM me for info

Did you sell the boat :?:

No I took it off the market for the winter. It is still available.

Great build!! I have a 16' monark that I am looking to frame for a bass fishing. with the middle seat out do you notice any additional twisting in the hull? that is the only thing stoping me from doing it yet. im going to stretch my front deck to the front of the existing middle seat though and do the back exactly how you did. also, where did you pick up your livewell and front storage hatch?

I would think if you are bringing the front deck back that far you should be fine. No livewells just storage and I don't recall the brand right now. Good luck

I am new here, I just got a 1982 Monark 14 ft Jon boat and the wooden transom was totally rotten. My transom looks the same as the with the elbow joints on top and the toe anchor in the bottom. I can't figure out how to get new wood transom to fit it. I don't know how to welding work or anyone who can. I am really at a loss here and any help would be great