1988 Johnson 25hp long shaft question... Need help!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshGrass

Reaction score
Hello ....

I was hoping someone with experience working on smaller HP 2 cycle outboards could help me out.

I have a 1988 Johnson 25hp 2 cycle out board (long shaft). The past few days I have noticed than when I slowly throttle up to full speed, about 1/2 way to full speed it feels like the motor is. Either piping out of gear, or losing power to the prop. When thi happens I can still rev the motor to full throttle ....I just get now power. This seems to only happen when I throttle up slowly. If I gun it, the motor get up to full speed ok. What could be happening here? Is it slipping out of gear? Do I need a new impeller?

Anyone with any trouble shooting advice feel free to chime in...

I also recently had the lower unit oil changed 3 months ago, and had a new prop put on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hmmm, at first I was thinking that your prop is slipping, but if you gun it and it does ok, I wouldn't think that is the problem. Do you still have the old prop, or a spare? Might try swapping them out to see what happens. The impeller is for your water pump, if it is peeing water good, then your impeller is good.

Only have one prop. I marked it to see if it is slipping. The past two times I took the motor out everything was ok. .?? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Are you fishing in weedy areas? Sounds like weeds on the gearcase that will ventilate the propeller. At this point keep running it and pay attention to where you are running and let us know. Best way to clear weeds is to stop, reverse, add throttle, then resume your running. If that does the trick it was weeds or debris. Has nothing to do with an impeller.