1988 Yamaha 8HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfish

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have a 1548 G3 all welded boat. I fish a lot of restricted hp lakes. I recently bought a 1988 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke motor that is absolutely like brand new. It cranks first pull every time and runs great. I got a great deal on the motor. $200 The performance is about what I expected. Not going to ski behind it but it gets me across the lake and saves batteries. My questions --- are these good motors? Are they prone to problems? Would I notice a big difference if I went to a 9.9hp? Thanks for any comments Greg

I don't have any experience with Yamaha's but for a boat that size I would skip the 9.9 and get something larger. At the very least a 15 hp but would look into something as large as the boat is rated for.

Meets the hp limit regs and cranks first pull every time? Unless you're contemplating a 4 stoke to eliminate mixing gas, I don't see anything to think about. ;-)

gregfish said:
Trying to comply with 10hp limits. I know bigger would be better but you gotta do what you gotta do.

In that case it sounds like a keeper to me. $200 bucks is a nice price to boot.

An 8hp '88 yammy for 200 bucks and runs like that,shoot,I'd keep it and never look back

X2 on that! For that price, I'd happily deal with sluggish performance. If you ever find yourself in the market for a motor to replace that one, I would look into a 25 hp with the popular 9.9 "conversion kit" on it. PM me if you need instructions on how to do this. :LOL2:

I owned lotsa Yammy and all have been great..I doubt Yammy would build any junk..They got a great reputation to protect..I would recomend get a good portable Tac and make sure the prop is within RPM limits..Over loading or Underloading those little motors is not good...cva34

I have a 15hp Johnson on a 1440 flat bottom and after I get a buddy and gear into the boat it doesn't run like I thought it would. My buddy has a 1436 and a 14 HP Johnson and there is actually a big difference between how our motors push MySpace boat. I would go with the. Biggest you can. The older Johnson 9.9/15 are the same sipze and weight with different carbs and model plates and DECALS. You can find them a dime a dozen. A lot of people has the 15hp motor with 9.9 decals. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the replies. When I bought the boat new I put a new 25 hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI motor on it. It would fly. I missed fishing the state park lakes so after 6 years I sold the Merc and got the Yamaha. If I only fished big lakes I would have kept the big motor. I can still fish the big lakes just not as fast! I enjoy the fishing more than the speed. Thanks again Greg