Seaark 1652 speed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sark99

Reaction score
Last year I bought a 99 sea ark 1652. I use it on a large local lakes and rivers. The motor that was on it was a 50hp from the 60s so I sold it and bought a 84 Nissan 25 hp and fixed it up. I went through the whole engine this winter plus cleaning carbs, replacing all fuel lines, impeller and lower unit oil. Always starts first turn of the key and seems to run great. Wide open in good conditions it tops out at 20mph with only one person and some light tackle. Does this seem normal for you guys that have a similar size boat and motor. This is my first jon and they’re so light compared to the boats I grew up on I thought the 25hp would be enough for the lake but going across to certain spots just takes forever. I recently came across a 30hp from a neighbor for cheap that I just got running good today. My question is will the extra 5hp make a decent speed difference or shovel I sell both and find a nice 50 or 60hp. Believe the transom is rated up to 75hp. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Another 5 hp might be good for 2 mph tops....the flat bottom creates drag in the water even though they weigh less. You will be much happier with a nice 50-60 hp two stroke.

I have a c1652v an old mariner(86) 30hp...I get 28 mph
My boat also has a small tunnel, which doesnt help speed...12 pitch prop.
Had a 40hp suzuki when I first got it, would do 33.