1989 25hp Johnson problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I took the housing apart again...and I believe that nathanielrthomas was correct. Behind the metal cup appears to have gotten hot and melted. I think this is causing water to just shoot up around the drive shaft instead of going up the water tube.

I just ordered a rebuild kit for it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 652
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 652
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 652
Good deal man, glad you found the problem. Thats crazy, yours looks almost identical to my old melted housing. Do you still want the instructions? If you ordered the water pump rebuild kit, instructions should come with it.

On another note, this is somewhat of a tinboats milestone for me; after over 2 years and 685 posts, I finally made a post that is actually helpful. Glad its friday. Im gonna celebrate.

I'm glad you could help me :D

Another thing I noticed...on the housing where the water tube goes in...there is a small hole that I noticed water was squirting out of it. Is this normal or this be causing problems too?

baseball_guy_99 said:
I'm glad you could help me :D

Another thing I noticed...on the housing where the water tube goes in...there is a small hole that I noticed water was squirting out of it. Is this normal or this be causing problems too?

The hole is to secure #70, water tube grommet. If the grommet is there, no water should leak out the hole.
Sounds like this part is missing?
Anyway, the kit will come with a new one. Good find. =D>
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1989&hp=25&model=J25ECEB&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

Got the new water pump kit in today. Got it all put back together late tonight so it will have to wait till the morning before I fire up the motor. I also picked up the dual sided muffs because I think the other muffs were just pushing water out the other side and not allowing it to get up into the pump.

Sure did! It has a nice steady stream now.

Now I need to get the idle adjusted on it and get it out to the lake to give it a test run.

Thanks for everything fellas!

baseball_guy_99 said:
Sure did! It has a nice steady stream now.

Now I need to get the idle adjusted on it and get it out to the lake to give it a test run.

Thanks for everything fellas!

Dont know if you need it, but Pappy gave me some really good advice on the idle. Mine is running like a champ. Check out this thread.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21439