1995 Landau 1657 Jon Boat Revamp *Getting Started

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Jeff Here,

I introduced myself in the forum subsection and posted some pictures of the boat but now I am getting a bit more into the project. I acid washed the entire hull and removed all the benches and structure inside the boat to get it clean and replace some solid rivets that were loose/leaking.

I am going to give you a run down on why I am taking on this project. This boat was purchased by me and my step father before he passed and he is the entire reason I got into fishing in the beginning. I want the boat to be something I can continue to pass on to my children(I have 4) with the peace of mind that it is well built and will last. I have a very broad background in quite a few tradeskills that I think will benefit me as I progress through the build. I want to eventually have a live well/bilge pump/pole storage/electronics/trolling motor mounted/9.9hp Motor on this boat with plenty of pole holders for 2 -3 people.

I do have some questions to ask as this is my first build and would love some input from those of you who are experienced.

#1 My transom is rotten so I will have to drill out the rivets and remove some aluminum paneling before I can actually remove the wood structure, that being said What is the recommended wood to replace the transom with?

#2 I will be using all aluminum hardware/rivets/cleats on this boat to prevent any additional corrosion from alloys interacting with each other and keeping weight down, however If I add any wood structure to the inside of the boat whats my best way to calculate total capacity so I don't go overboard and have a nice boat that can't support the weight of people and gear in it.

#3 I plan on creating some addition buoyancy sources as well for stability as this is a narrow boat but I haven't determined which route I want to go with. Outriggers or aluminum air tight structure capturing addition air(creating a copy of the side of the boat and affixing it 3-6 inches offset and basically creating a hallow hull on the sides that is air tight with pole holders recessed into it) or if anyone has any suggestions on options. I know some of the options will affect the mobility of the boat but this boat is really only going to be used on calm lakes locally.

I am completely open to any suggestions and help along the way!

My rivets should be arriving in the mail today as well as some Goop-It(for the hull) and 3M 5200 Sealant for the new rivet installation. I am looking into ordering some 1x1x1/8" aluminum angle to build and rivet in some extra support between the support ribs on my boat so I can put an aluminum floor across the bottom of the boat before reinstalling the benches as well. I am debating doing something with the gunwale as well as its got some pretty gnarly dents/crushes areas from straps in its life.

I know this may bit a bit ambition for a first build and I may not get to do everything I want but I am definitely going in with high hopes.

I look forward to posting new updates on this thread as well as hearing any suggestions everyone may bring to the table.

IMG_8212.JPEGIMG_8214.JPEGIMG_8323.JPEGIMG_8324.JPEGIMG_8340.jpg

Here is my two cents:

#1 - General consensus here is exterior plywood glued up in layers will work well. You can also use dimensional lumber like Southern Yellow Pine or White Oak. Whatever you use, seal it well.

#2 - If you are concerned about stability (your #3) then putting in raised decks is going to make things worse. I like your idea of adding a floor.

#3 - I would weigh the time and expense of modifying the hull against getting one that might better meet my needs. On the other hand, look at the link below. TinBoat member @waterant made some pretty cool flotation collars:

https://www.tinboats.net/threads/di...-safer-and-more-comfortable.51751/post-515760