*Post Moved to Boat House, please delete* Corrosion around Rivet's: Boat Restoration/Build or Scrap Metal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimputello

Reaction score
So I bought an older 1988 SF14 that was used in saltwater and me not knowing any better might have made a purchase that needs to be scrapped in the end. Whole bottom of the boat was sealed with flex seal which should have been a red flag, but here we are. The pitting around the hull seems negligible however there is some pitting/corrosion around the rivets that attach to the ribs of the boat and leave me a bit worried in terms of structural integrity. None of the corrosion seems to have went all the way through, but there is definitely some pitting around area's I don't think there should be. I have all the tools to add/remove old rivets and know how to prep the aluminum with zinc chromate to prevent further corrosion.

What I want to know, is if there are about 20+ or so rivet's with corrosion similar to this, is this fixable or is this something I should just take to the scrap yard? Will have to remove some rivet's with bad corrosion to check for any white powder to fully clean the material. I was thinking a bigger rivet and some G-flex 650 (possibly fiberglass cloth stepped out to reinforce further) would be a possible fix, and worst-case scenario a riveted patch to replace that area; welding seems extremely hard due to the quality of the aluminum. The picture I currently have attached is not mine, but the pitting around rivets looks very similar to what I have going on. I will be adding more pictures once I get to the storage unit to provide more context. Thank you all for the help!

Last edited: