20 Foot Oquawka Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20footer

Reaction score
Went and picked this boat up yesterday. Today is going to be clean it up day. Temps here are in the 50's today. I am located in southeast Iowa. Guys, I am open to all suggestions, the boat is going to mainly be used for river fishing including diddy poles and trout lines, and going to a Lake about 45 mins from here for rod and reel fishing for bass, walleye and catfish. So I am going to want to put in a livewell for bait and 2 elevated seats for bass fishing that will have to be removable for river fishing with the bank lines, etc. In addition to that I want permanent seating for 8 people. 5 of them are our kids. My gf has 3 boys and I have a girl and a boy. I want to put in a center console also. I thank you in advance for all of your help. From what I have seen so far this is a great site with lots of knowledge and helpful people activley involved with helping each other out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,008
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,008
Measurements are:
88 inches wide at the top.
62 inches wide at the bottom.
Front platform is 55 inches long.
21 1/2 inches deep from top to the DP floor that is 2 inches tall
Sides are 24 inches from bottom of boat to the top.
The rails near the back of the boat on the sides add 8 inches of height and are 102 inches long. They are removable.

Bottom of the boat is smooth. I don't know if I am going to change this or not. I am not going after top speed capabilities and will probably decide that part after I get everything else done and take her for a spin.

Used meratic acid and some elbow grease. The boat is looking alot better. Also got the motor running today. It hasn't been started in 2 years, but to my amazement it started in less than 2 seconds. Major bonus! PO started it didn't garunteed the motor but claimed it has very low hours and that he had the carbs redone since it had sat for awhile before he bought it. He used seafoam and I am thinking that helped bunch. We are going to take it for a spin in the river this weekend. There aren't seats in it now so I will have to make some temporary bench seats for our outing. Also I am looking to convert the engine from tiller to remote steering. If anyone can recommend what I need I would appreciate it.

That will have lots of room for the kids. As I was reading your post, I was thinking "center console" then you mentioned it. As for the rest of the seating, I would just install some pedistal bases and get some removeable seats to match. That way you could remove them when you aren't using them, giving you more room. Bench seating takes up so much space. I would also box in the sides to where the floor meets the sides of the boat for storage and rod lockers. Build a front deck with some storage and a livewell. I am a big fan of wide open floor plans so that's what I would do. That's a great boat in great shape and you could do lots with it. Good luck with your build

Stomper- I really like your ideas, thank you. Our 10 year old son really wants an isle all the way from the front to the rear of the boat. He says if we put in benches then you have to climb over them to move in the boat. So ped. Seats like your talking about would be perfect. And the storage is a great idea too. I am gonna go take some pics and post of the boat cleaned up.
Also I need to replace some of the wood on the trailer, any ideas on how to get the boat off of the trailer and back on without the use of water. I can use the hand crank winch to get it back on I HOPE! I am sure a 20 foot boat weighs alot.