Alumacraft 16v utility

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWARR531

Reaction score
Hey guys new member here, looking to purchase a new alumacraft 16v, with the suzuki 25hp electric start power trim , I work for the company that owns minnkota and hummingbird so get a discount on that stuff and already have it. Wanting to make it a good fishing rig for inland lakes, rivers and a calm day on the bay , anyone have pics of there setups? I like the new walk thru seating and plan to add rod holders and some lights . Any input would be appreciated on this plan on fishing my wife and 2 boys out of it jigging for walleye and perch and pike mainly thanks . Location MI

First off welcome to the forum. Alumacrfaft makes a good boat I owned a 1648 mv ncs for a decade it was a tough little boat. Depending on the size/age of your boys that size boat can get cramped with 4 people. If the boys are young it will certainly get you guys out on the water having fun for years to come. My boys are 5yrs apart when the oldest got to be 13 we decided we needed something a little bigger. The walk thru seating is very nice to have on a boat that size stepping over bench seats gets tiring and is a good way to trip on something especially if your old and clumsy like me.

Hey thanks steve, They are 10 and 14 , my dilemma is my garage isint very big, and neither is my budget, and I really don't want to buy anything too big , when we go camping I can pull the camper up to the lakes and my wife could pull a smaller boat like the 16 v behind her equinox without any trouble but i am worried about fishing 4 people and wondering if it's doable out of that design , they look pretty deep and wide for the size and around 13k brand new with a 25hp suzuki electric start and tiller , wired for lights bow and stern , and with a painted bunk trailer. I'm sure other guys on here have gone through this same thing , figured it would be a good boat to fish me and the 2 boys and possibly if the wife wanted to come along. It looks wide and has a floor I guess I need to go get eyes on one.
First off welcome to the forum. Alumacrfaft makes a good boat I owned a 1648 mv ncs for a decade it was a tough little boat. Depending on the size/age of your boys that size boat can get cramped with 4 people. If the boys are young it will certainly get you guys out on the water having fun for years to come. My boys are 5yrs apart when the oldest got to be 13 we decided we needed something a little bigger. The walk thru seating is very nice to have on a boat that size stepping over bench seats gets tiring and is a good way to trip on something especially if your old and clumsy like m

If this is going to be your first boat, reconsider buying new !! Boats depreciate fast, so if it doesn't fit your needs, your gonna loose some money !! I would highly recomend looking for a good used outfit, much less outlay to start and when you decide to make a change, you won't loose your britches!! With boys that age, it won't be long before they want to go faster and get into pull behind toys. Think ahead and save some cash, or, same cash outlay for a bigger/ faster boat. I would definately get the widest and deepest 16 ft you can find if a 16 is your max length....good luck and keep us posted...

Some very good advice above. If you must have new and no more than 16ft look for the widest one you can find and rig it with the max recommended hp. Kids grow fast and you'll be dragging a lot of things along with the family for a day on the water having fun.

Price out a similar alumicraft escape 165 tiller with your dealer. The 16v is a very lightweight utilty boat rated for 25 max VS the escape 165 weighs 3 times as much has an entirely flat floor for moving around rated for a 50hp. It's also 6" wider and has storage. I think a family of 4 will quickly outgrow the 16v where as the escape has a couple more creature comforts that I think you would soon realize you'll want.

Price out a similar alumicraft escape 165 tiller with your dealer. The 16v is a very lightweight utilty boat rated for 25 max VS the escape 165 weighs 3 times as much has an entirely flat floor for moving around rated for a 50hp. It's also 6" wider and has storage. I think a family of 4 will quickly outgrow the 16v where as the escape has a couple more creature comforts that I think you would soon realize you'll want.
I will do that. What ever happend to the summit?

I will do that. What ever happend to the summit?
Don't know alumacraft was purchased by BRP and lost a lot of models from their lineup. I had eyed up an alumacraft 20 bay for yrs lusting after it to watch it dropped by the company and my dealer dropped alumacraft entirely and started carrying xpress.

I don't disagree with anything said so far. Some good advice for sure. The thing I wonder about though is 4 people fishing in one boat? I just don't see that ever working out. Especially with kids. Ever get a hook in your ear? It ain't much fun.

Towing isn't much different, but you will appreciate the greater width, speed and the flat floor after a couple of days of being crunched in the smaller one.

Rigging a boat is fun. Take your time and enjoy the process.

I agree, after pricing new ones, look on the used market and see what's out there. Good deals come around every once in awhile, but you have to be ready to strike when you see one. Try to bring a friend who knows boats with you.

I hope you find the perfect boat for your family!

I wanted to add a bit of my personal experience here. I have been out in the Fort Lauderdale intercoastal multiple times fishing at night in my buddys Alumacraft V14. We had 4 people on board, 3 of us were casually fishing. Nothing special, throwing live/dead bait at dock lights for snook and dropping some deeper spots for anything that would bite it. I personally felt it was more than enough. I think the V16 would be plenty to fish 4. The caveat is really how well your group fishes. I have been fishing on small flat jonboats for decades so I am a bit used to the "shoulder to shoulder" fishing, but felt we had plenty of room in the V14. More room is always nice, no doubt, and width is king in smaller boats as said before. If you and your kids fish regularly you would be surprised how easy a V16 would be to fish out of IMO. Hell - it was just a few years ago I was in the everglades with a 10ft jonboat fishing 3 of us lol!

I had a 2017 Alumacraft 16V. You can search for many of the upgrades I did. It is a great boat!
Simple, stable and well built. The WT design is great. Mine had the Yamaha F25....awesome motor and lightest of the 25s.
If you were closer....the new owner recently contacted me to inform me if it is up for sale.