2001 SeaArk 1548DK DuckHawk Conversion Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Is the foam you have closed cell?

Absolutely!! It's closed cell polystyrene. As a matter of fact, the reason that the roof was being reworked on the building next door (where I got this foam after it was left over when the job was finished) was that the original foam under the membrane roof was urethane open cell, and it was waterlogged and had ruined the decking and even some of the structural steel underneath because of corrosive compounds produced when water leached through the urethane.

Also, I had the distinct pleasure of digging the waterlogged urethane foam out of, first, a 70's vintage Bomber fiberglass bass boat my Dad owned and then later out of an old Lowe or Alumacraft aluminum bassboat that we had. That aluminum boat was corroded so badly inside that it had become floppy. A real "Flexible Flier". We sold that hull for scrap once we discovered the extent of the damage.

Relly appreciate the detail shopping lists as you go. Helps for those of us that need to get back to completing our boat projects as well...Your Quality Control team looks serious.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Great build thread! I have a question. I own a 1995 Monark 1660MV which is very similar to yours. One of the very few things I don't like about mine is the small front deck. I'd love to be able to have a seat up there and a foot controlled trolling motor as I hate having to use a hand controlled trolling motor on the transom. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind to give me the measurement on your front deck from the center of the deck to the back of it?

zq8blazer said:
Great build thread! I have a question. I own a 1995 Monark 1660MV which is very similar to yours. One of the very few things I don't like about mine is the small front deck. I'd love to be able to have a seat up there and a foot controlled trolling motor as I hate having to use a hand controlled trolling motor on the transom. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind to give me the measurement on your front deck from the center of the deck to the back of it?

I haven't been on here much in the last few weeks, as you can see, so didn't see your question until today. I'll get those deck measurements for you probably tomorrow evening. As mounted as shown in the pics I've posted so far, the remote control worked great. However the actual mounting bracket (the aluminum one I purchased from SeaArk) limited my foot room when I was fishing off the port (left) side of the boat.

I moved my trolling motor mount over against the port gunwale to gain more foot room, and it did that, BUT it also put the control cable between the foot pedal and the motor head in such a bind that it takes a lot of wrestling to get the pedal to sit flat on the deck, rather than tipping up on its side. And it is a royal PITA when I have to move it from port side to starboard side and vice versa. If I get it to sit flat in one place, when I move it, it tips over. GRRRRRRRR!!! :-x

I've about decided to put the mount back where I had it and sell my foot controlled troller and buy a hand controlled one made for bow mount. I'm also thinking about buying one of these: https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boa...794380;cat104705280;cat104492880#BVRRWidgetID . Note that the pic shows the offset adapter upside down.

I'll be posting more pics and some dimensions soon.

Thanks! I was thinking if I couldn't fish off of my deck that I could get a wireless or wired bow trolling motor and place it in the floor and just fish that way. I can get a minn kota wired 45lb thrust for around $330.

Nice dogs man, I had a German Shepard once, but she passed away a couple of years ago.