2011 Tracker Topper 1542

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akbejeepin

Reaction score
I just got this boat a few months ago. I am going to try to figure out how to post pics so I can document what I have done so far. Like to here you guys feedback.

1df3ace8fe784ea126eb410646788b4f.jpg

Now that I have figured out how to post pics.... That first pic is just a general picture of the boat. It is a Tracker Topper 15 with a Tohatsu 18hp.

Here is another picture from the front. I bought just the bare boat and trailer. The gentleman had already installed the wood platform and walkway on the trailer

0f7b87601024d316ebc03c06cecfaa38.jpg

The first thing I did was replace the factory lights with led lights. I rewired the lights using 14 guage orange extension cord using waterproof connectors. Wrapped the high wear areas in flex tube. The lights also have a ground wire that connects back to the truck so I hope all of that eliminates any potential trailer light problems. I bought all of this at harbor freight. Best deal on the lights at about 35 bucks with coupon and the 50 ft extension cord was less than 15. The original setup had blown bulbs and bare wires in the tube on the trailer.

508db04eaaa7e6f638a92a20507e4da2.jpg

This weekend I tackled a few things I had been putting off. First was the transducer mounting plate. I went by a plastics supplier and the guy had a sample piece of the 1/2" cutting board material. I cut out a 4"x6" piece, applied silicone and screwed through the hull into a small strip of cutting board material on the inside. I wanted the extra bite in addition to the aluminum. It's all hid on the inside.

0457de158f48611e085aeb14e311a88d.jpg

It appears all the wood on your trailer is pressure treated. Pressure treated wood and aluminum don't get along and contued contact will damage your boat. Pressure treated wood contains copper which is a dissimilar metal to the aluminum your boat is made of.

After that I decided to install my side imaging unit. It is a hummingbird 598ci si. It does all I need.
I am trying to keep the any holes drilled to a minimum and when I do drill, I try to do it out of the way a little so is not as noticeable. I decided to buy an outdoor junction box from home depot for $10 and mount the finder on that. The box will be used as my switch box for all accessories as well. Mounted the box on the middle bench so I could see the display if I am fishing in front or back of the boat.

Got the switch panel ($30) and the 12v outlet ($4) installed in the box as well.

When it is all wrapped up the box will contain the excess transducer cable and power cable.

0ef39eb4ab70578bd3f7d6d6877bc867.jpg

The last thing I got done was the trolling motor bracket. I have looked at all kinds of ideas but I decided to stop wasting time and just build something. Later when the crappie aren't biting I can rebuild it just like I want it. Surprisingly it was very strong and didn't move a bit. May not change a thing now. I already had the wood and outdoor wood screws, so it cost me a 6 stainless screws.

4dc6d15a84d28672121267f6a8856a29.jpg

Next projects coming soon: seats, add some led interior lighting, nav lighting, do something with the live well. That should about wrap it up at that point.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
It appears all the wood on your trailer is pressure treated. Pressure treated wood and aluminum don't get along and contued contact will damage your boat. Pressure treated wood contains copper which is a dissimilar metal to the aluminum your boat is made of.

Your correct. It was done when I bought it. I am hoping with the carpet between them that it will be seperated to some small degree. One of these days I may swap out the wood that is closest to contacting the boat. Another project for another day.

Thanks. I did not. It stays in my garage. I figure I should get years out of it like it is. It took like 20 minutes to build so I will just build another of it comes down to it.

akbejeepin said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Your correct. It was done when I bought it. I am hoping with the carpet between them that it will be seperated to some small degree. One of these days I may swap out the wood that is closest to contacting the boat. Another project for another day.
The carpet won't help. Keep an eye on it and with the first sign of trouble get it taken care of.

akbejeepin said:
What is the first sign of problems... The paint turning loose?
Look for paint discoloration, a white powder and pitting of the aluminum where the boat contacts the carpet or the pressure treated wood.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
akbejeepin said:
What is the first sign of problems... The paint turning loose?
Look for paint discoloration, a white powder and pitting of the aluminum where the boat contacts the carpet or the pressure treated wood.
I will do it. I may just replace the to layer of plywood or lay an additional sheet of the right stuff on top, rather than rebuild the whole thing