2yr Cold Start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Evinrude 20hp, E20CRCCA. It hasn't been started in two years. I installed new plugs, replaced the lower unit grease and ordered a new water pump. I also installed a fuel/water separator. I'd like to start the motor this weekend to check it out before putting in the new water pump.

My question is should i take the carb apart and clean it first or just spray some carb cleaner inside? If i'm ok with the carb cleaner, do i spray inside FIRST before i start the OB or start the OB first and spray while it's running or both?

Thanks,
Mark

Before you start it put a couple drops of 2 cycle oil in each cylinder (take out spark plug) - just a few drops no need to pour it in

Crank the engine a few times to get the rings and walls lubed up

Then start the engine - no need to spray the carb unless there is a problem

You can try a carb spray but you are better off just properly cleaning the carb and installing a new carb kit - ONLY if it needs it

If it is not broken do not fix it!

I am right down the street from you if you need help

Sweet. Thanks Captain. Ill give it a go this weekend. I still need to cut and hook up the fuel line to the separater first. Ill keep you posted. Thanks again for the offer and advice!