35 Vs 40 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. In all my years of fishn' in and out of boats, I've only seen one instance where the cap tag (capacity tag) on the hull was smaller than the motor's horsepower, and that particular case was a warden in a really bad mood. And I mean REALLY bad. Down to checking the tire's tread depth on the trailer and everything.

Progressive...seen mention of it in a prior post. Wouldn't give you $.01 for a policy through them, and for a lot of reasons. I deal with them often at work and there's a reason they're "cheaper". Just went through a deal last week where the vehicle owner had a claim and insurance company wanted a TOTAL teardown (complete to removing gears from shafts), and then they denied the claim and left mr. customer with a totally disassembled machine that has no value and no they did not pay to reassemble. That's only one of many. 90hp Yamaha guy hit a rock jetty on the river and hurt the lower unit, insured through progressive, they came in and asked for an estimate...I give it to them, they review it, then said pull the prop shaft out and let's measure it (it was obviously bent..severely). Ok sure, you pay the labor. They agreed. Removed the prop shaft, adjuster brought in HIS own V-blocks and dial indicator (like mine were bad or something?), measured it at over .400" of bend (I said it was obvious didn't I?)...had a peek inside the foot, broken gears, damaged housing, all junk. New foot plug 1hr labor was right around $1600, from Yamaha. So what'd Progressive do? They bought a JUNKYARD foot, told me to put it on...did...it was junk. Called customer and insurance, insurance said it was guaranteed (guaranteed junk?), they paid me to remove it, then they sent it back and got another one...shipping costs were responsiblity of insurance (both ways). So after 2 lower units and shipping costs and labor, they were right at $1600 and still a junkyard foot that doesn't match the color of the leg (sun fade)....but now they've got a customer who's totally upset, a repair shop that is close to refusing progressive insurance claims, 5 weeks wait time on the 90hp deal and 11 weeks on the other. Oh I could go on for hours. I had a claim through them once too but it was because I was rear-ended by a chain reaction, faulted driver was intoxicated...insurance denied it (had arrest/booking and police records to prove it), they did every single thing possible to get out of it, and in the end I won...but still couldn't get enough out of them to fix the car correctly ('85.5 Mustang SVO). I settled for what I could get, sold the car for way more than it was worth, and moved on. That car's age is what the problem was; they called it "junk" and had no clue how rare it was, which meant it was going to cost more to fix it due to the specifics of the parts.

fishonsc said:
RealOne said:
Got the motor mounted yesterday can't wait to get it wet
How low does the back sit in the water? 20" transom? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is the 15" tra som and short shaft motor. It sits well in the water idk the exact measurement right now but I'll try to get it for you. After running it on the tail race I have no concerns about weight or flooding the back. Just have to be wise enough to realize your boats limitations....
Wind advisories=no lake
Don't come to a dead stop from wot

I have never owned a boat and run it with rated horsepower. Boring.
Have never, nor do I know of anyone ever having an issue with running overpowered. You will always hear about the "I had a buddy that knew a guy who......." scenario.
Florida does not care. Have had many a discussion with DNR, Sherriff, Marine Patrol, etc. over the years and not one time was the size of my engine ever discussed even though most of the boats I run will have around double the rated horsepower.

Pappy said:
I have never owned a boat and run it with rated horsepower. Boring.
Have never, nor do I know of anyone ever having an issue with running overpowered. You will always hear about the "I had a buddy that knew a guy who......." scenario.
Florida does not care. Have had many a discussion with DNR, Sherriff, Marine Patrol, etc. over the years and not one time was the size of my engine ever discussed even though most of the boats I run will have around double the rated horsepower.
The states that perform CG inspections is the ones that "usually" are the sticklers. Coming from someone that worked in field that was apt to be in a position to question these matters the state I was in we paid little to no attention to it at all unless it was an accident and it appeared speed was involved. Usually then it only was brought up when civil charges were filed and if we were asked to testify that we saw that the craft was equipped with a larger motor than it was rated for.

But like I said some states especially that CG auxiliary are active can be a real PITA.

The CG Aux folks also have never paid one bit of attention, nor can they even recommend a HP change on a personal boat much less demand one.
In most cases those guys seem to be the least informed boaters I have ever run across. When they are actually running a boat and offer an inspection I will tell them I will do the maneuvering to their boat just to keep mine from being banged up.

Pappy said:
The CG Aux folks also have never paid one bit of attention, nor can they even recommend a HP change on a personal boat much less demand one.
In most cases those guys seem to be the least informed boaters I have ever run across. When they are actually running a boat and offer an inspection I will tell them I will do the maneuvering to their boat just to keep mine from being banged up.
No, they can't demand you to but they can call the proper state authorities and once a complaint is lodged we were usually obligated to act on it depending on the channels they came through.

Here they also had lake and river deputies that usually were on board with them from the local sheriff's dept. If they so choose they they did have the potential to be a royal PITA. I have been retired over 10 years and am pretty sure they are no longer active here. They primarily were out on holidays.