New G3 1036 jon boat max hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinhead1986

Reaction score
I just bought a new G3 1036 jon boat and max hp is rated at 5hp . Can i go any higher like a mercury or yamaha 8 hp or 9.9 . I went to bass pro shop today and the mercury 5 hp weight is 56 lbs and the 8 hp is 84 lbs not a big difference. my weight is 280-290lba and want the biggest i can safely use

Weight capacity of that boat is 325. You, paddle, anchor, life vest and some fishing gear are at that already. Might want to put that thing in the water if you haven't already and see how sketchy it feels before investing in a motor. I hope I'm wrong but I believe it will feel tippy.

the beam is 52 inches it’s 8 inches less then the 14 ft boat i just sold . Does an extra 8 inches make that much of a difference when it comes to how stable it is .

I agree with Weldor...put that boat in the water and see how it sits with you in it before deciding on the motor.

The G3 website doesn't give the max capacity, but a quick Google search shows either 325 or 375 pounds.

I wouldn't put anything bigger on it than the rated HP size (5 HP). But in your case, I might go with a reduced size motor, maybe even a 2.5. A Mercury 2.5 is 41 pounds dry.

the beam is 52 inches it’s 8 inches less then the 14 ft boat i just sold . Does an extra 8 inches make that much of a difference when it comes to how stable it is .
YES...a big difference...3" can make a very noticible difference ! Your boat is only ten feet long, when you get in there with a 50-60 kb motor on the back......shakey at best !! I would look for an older small two stroke to save weight !! I have a 2.2 hp two stroke that only weighs 30 lbs, on a ten ft jon....would be my limit !!!

The difference between a 32" bottom and a 36" bottom is quite noticeable... I traded a 1432 for a 1436 the difference was certainly noticeable. The kids noticed it right away when they stood up or moved around.

Weight capacity of that boat is 325. You, paddle, anchor, life vest and some fishing gear are at that already. Might want to put that thing in the water if you haven't already and see how sketchy it feels before investing in a motor. I hope I'm wrong but I believe it will feel tippy.
Agreed...PHEW... put it in the water and see how it feels without the motor..... put a Spackle bucket with some water in the back...WEAR A PFD... I had a 10' jon and my Fat A could not sit in the back.. and the middle seat was like riding a pizza pan... good luck...

I wouldn't go with a bigger motor. Adding 28 lbs to the back, which will already be pretty heavy, is significant. Personally, I think you needed to buy more boat, but if this is what you got I'd focus on keeping the weight down as much as possible.

weight is the least of your opportunities, distribution will get you wet
Plan for worst case, enjoy the best case
IMHO you need more boat

Apparently i is was a little off on my weight the scale showed 235lbs yesterday not 280-290 lbs . I just bought this boat so i’m trying to stick it out and by the sounds of it everyone is saying stick with 5hp

? have you been in the boat without any motor on it, check WHERE your going to be sitting to operate and how comfortable you feel.

No i haven’t been in it yet i just bought it but i’m glad i didn’t buy the Alumacraft that wasn’t very wide

... width is quoted at the gunwales, by the time the water gets up that high, not much matters but your PFD
the shape of the hull has a lot to do with stability...
says the guy who settled on the 4th 12' tinnie he bought last season !!!
a nice wide FLAT bottom is a pizza pan, planes easily,pounds into chop, tracks like crap,

Apparently i is was a little off on my weight the scale showed 235lbs yesterday not 280-290 lbs . I just bought this boat so i’m trying to stick it out and by the sounds of it everyone is saying stick with 5hp
You'll get there once you catch a case of twofootitis. I went from an 11ft to a 14 to a 16.... I'm holding for now ..

I tried going down in size once. Bought a nice 1248 Lowe. It was rated for a 9.9, but I decided to try putting a 15 HP 4-stroke on it. BAD MOVE. Resized_20221027_182057.jpeg
I came very close to sinking it when I stepped into it for the first time. Could not go at any speed, as the nose would point at the sky when I gave it gas. It was miserable.

Ended up putting an old, lightweight 9.9 on it, and it was much better:

Resized_20230304_164211.jpeg

In the end, I decided I didn't like the setup, as it was still pretty tippy compared to other boats I've had. I put it up and sold it to the first guy to message me. He was used to a 10 footer, so it was a step up for him.

I guess it depends on where you start as to what you consider stable or fun.

DEFINITELY get a tiller extension handle. You are most going to be sitting in the middle of the boat most of the time.

You sound pretty set in your ways so I'm sure this is going to fall on deaf ears, but where I live 10-14' doesn't make much difference in price. You can pick them up all day long for $100-400. I really don't understand why you want such a small boat. This is basically something your row around a pond in. Why not just get some oars? I'll bet if you're in any kind of shape at all that thing will scoot along just fine with no motor at all. I'd suggest a trolling motor, but a good battery is pretty damned heavy by itself. Mine has got to weigh 70 lbs. It's a real grunt getting it in and out. Now you do what you want. You got a lot of good advice, feel free to take it or ignore it. Your boat, your life, your call.

My last 10' boat was 42" at the floor. That was a loong time ago but it loaded up easily and ran good with a twin cylinder 3 or 4 hp. Wish I still had it.View attachment 20230611_094909.mp4

After many other boats, I am in a 14/42 and 20hp engine. I do have to trailer it 'cause I don't want to grunt to load and unload. It is still small enough to drag or launch at a natural ramp and fast enough to outrun a storm if I see it coming from far enough away.

Not fond of skinny or heavy boats.

I just bought a new G3 1036 jon boat and max hp is rated at 5hp . Can i go any higher like a mercury or yamaha 8 hp or 9.9 . I went to bass pro shop today and the mercury 5 hp weight is 56 lbs and the 8 hp is 84 lbs not a big difference. my weight is 280-290lba and want the biggest i can safely use
I had a new G3 1036 jon 6 years years ago. Solid construction with a heavy duty transom. I had a 60 pound, 6 hp yamaha on the transom. With me and my buddy (165 and 175 pounds respectively), tackle and fishing rods, the boat felt balanced and was safe. However, with a 8hp on the transom and your own weight, you might find the back of the boat very low in the water. I would re-consider the 8 or 9.9 hp and stay closer to the max rated hp of the boat.

Thanks for everyone’s advice i’m trying to sell my 10 footer and if it sells go back a 14 v hull . I was feed up working on my project boat and made a rush decision buying this thing thinking it would be fine being only 10ft since it’s only me fishing out of it . Being it was only $2500 for a new boat i thought i had it made now realizing i should have bought a bigger boat . I have it posted for 2k $542 less than what i paid trying to get rid of it with only a few bits so i might get stuck with it . If so i’m somewhat glad i went with a 1036 vs the 1032