4-28 to 5-12

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
IRI 4-28/29-2009
Got to IRI at about 10:30pm . The water was stained but not bad and the tide was almost high . I saw plenty of bait including Silversides , Bay Anchovies , Ling , Butterfish , Shrimp , Cinder Worms , Squid and Sand Eels .. Had a few large Sandsharks feeding on them . The Sharks kept scattering the bait and wouldnt let them ball up .
After about and hour I finally get a bite on a 4" Storm ..
100_4101.jpg

I fished until slack high and then took a break .. A lot of debris was floating about and kept getting on my line so I headed for the Truck to wait for the outgoing . Sporto pulled up around 1:30 am .
We hit the Jetty for a bit but got no Bites . The tide flew out and in 1 hour it was more than half way out ??
We headed back to the rail and still no bites .
We headed out back and on my 3rd cast I get a 27"
100_4102.jpg

I saw another bigger Sandshark swim by and moments later ..
100_4103.jpg

That was about the extent of the night .. No other bites and no more fish ..
Sporto landed 2 before we hooked up .. 1 TB and 1 at 36" and 19 Pounds ..
100_4105.jpg

Sporto had called me earlier and said he was going to get some meat tonight and sure enough he did ;) WTG Spoto !!
He told me about a guy who caught a keeper Striper but his stringer got stuck in the rocks and he could not recover the fish so at 4:30am we went and got the fish and stringer . I kept the fish it was still good .. It was 31" .
Sporto left around 5am and I stayed until 6am . The winds when I left were about 20 MPH from the NW and now 24 to 31 MPH from the ENE .

IRI 5-10/5-11-2009 (Citation)
Hit IRI at around 10:30pm and found a dozen cars in the lot . The water was clear and winds were from the NE at about 10 to 15 MPH . What I saw looked very promising so I had talked to Steve earlier and knew he was there so I called to get an update . Not much went on so I told him about the fishy activity and he headed over to join me .
We got nothing on the swimbaits but Steve put on a 4" fin"S" and I rigged up a tandem rig with 3" twisters . We caught quite a few Shad both Hickories and American and I also got a Tiny Snapper Blue at about 8" .
Eddie and Kwan showed up around 1am (ish ?) and we all tossed swimbaits again for awhile with no bites . We had some fish crashing out in the dark and Shad playing in the schools of Silversides and Bay Anchovies .
Steve left sometime around 2:30 am and Eddie , Kwan and I tried and tried but only Shad would play and they were finicky .
The bite totally died and the currents were ripping making the water dirty so we switched gears and I showed them how and where to catch Asian Box Crabs . We picked up a few and returned to playing with Shad while Kwan made a WAWA run .. Thanks for the Coffee Kwan ;)
So after the break we tried again with no luck and settled for the Shad ..
Right before daybreak I pulled the big guns and began to toss the 6" PM .. On cast # 10 I get hit and landed a 29.5" Striper :) The sun was up by now and I was shocked to get this fish because from experience the bite always dies around daybreak . I kept tossing the Pm with no real hopes of much but to my surprise I get slammed again and this fish ripped some drag and I knew it was a nice fish .. 3 runs later and some serious head shakes I land a 40" Striper and as I get it on land the PM pops right out :)
Old inlet weighed the fish in at 39" and 22 pounds 8 ounces with a 21.5 inch girth for my first Saltwater Striper Citation of 2009 .
We tossed a few more times in hope of maybe another but no such happenings .
Eddie and Kwan reurned to the Inlet to try for Tog and I had to head home ;):)
SWEET !
My camera was dead but Kwan snapped a pic and will forward it to me later and I will post it then ..
Great night even though the Stripers didint play well .. Steve a pleasure as always and Eddie and Kwan it was great to meet you both and hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again soon with a few Flatties to boot ...
2_2-1.jpg

CHP - RI - Broadkill 5-15-09
Steve and I headed out about 11am with some Flounder in mind so we hit the Pier . Steve landed 2 TB's between 17 and 18 inches when we got a visitor ..
100_4136.jpg

We talk with the GW for a good 45 minutes to an hour and all I can say is I am glad we have guys like this out there and only wish we had more .
So Steve continues to catch a few TB's
100_4137.jpg

100_4138.jpg

At this time I am getting a bit discouraged as he has landed about 5 to my ZERO .. All I had to show was a Big Sandshark that Thankfully spit the jig at the boat :)
Anyhow I am relieved when I finally land this one after missing 4 bites .
100_4139.jpg

I have taken off the cutbait and used straight Gulp and it was working as well as the Shad & Gulp combo Steve was using .
My next fish hits hard and turns out to be a 17" ish Flounder thats foul hooked . My next is almost a sure keeper but as we stare at it talking about the net it must have seen Steve reach for it as it also spit the hook .. Finally I get another and land this one and Bingo my 1st keeper Flounder of 2009 at 19"
100_4140.jpg

Altogether I think the totals were about 8 fish a piece with almost all being 17" and half 18" but not 18.5" .. we had 1 just a hair shy . We had fish popping all around us all day and saw a few Snapper Blues . The winds were light and the water was very clear but as the tide started to go out the water slowly got stained and no longer blueish/green but muddy/brown .
Here's a few shots of the pier
100_4141.jpg

100_4142.jpg

100_4143.jpg

100_4144.jpg

100_4145.jpg

100_4146.jpg

100_4147.jpg

Look at this Picture carefully ..
100_4148.jpg

100_4149.jpg

Look this one over too
100_4154.jpg

We packed up and hit Roosevelt Inlet and the Broadkill with no fish .
I am starting to like Pogies more and more every time I use them and I like them more than the Mullet now ;)
Smelt Pogy was the ticket for me ;)
There are now 2 lights beyond the barricade on the Pier as you can see in the pics so night time fishing isnt gonna happen this year or ever again ! SUX !!

Wagamons 5-12-09
Got home from IRI and hit Wagamons at about 8am . The Crappie and Big Gills were still there . After about 100 my friend Dave shows up and we nailed the crap out of them . Small 1.75" Fin"S" took the Crappie and Crappie Magnets nailed the Gills . The fish were 50 to 60 yards out but we did get a few within 10 yards as well and not much in between .
100_4120.jpg

100_4121.jpg

100_4122.jpg

100_4124.jpg

100_4125.jpg

100_4127.jpg

100_4128.jpg

100_4129.jpg

100_4130.jpg

100_4131.jpg

100_4132.jpg

100_4135.jpg

Even got a few nice Redears
100_4133.jpg

100_4134.jpg

Around 1pm we had a big black cloud over us and when it started to rain it really came down .. I went and geared up with my rain gear and continued to catch them but after 10 minutes you could hardly see 15 feet and Dave and everyone else left .. NOT ME they bite turned on even more with fish on every cast for the next 45 minutes . I kept thinking this rain would stop any minute but even with rain gear I was soaked ALL the way through . Fished till 2:20pm with well into the triple digits .. Probably over 300 total for me and Dave combined .
I was smiling my butt off because there were 4 boats out there doing NOTHING and they kept trying to put the Squeeze on us but Dave wasnt having it and voiced this very AUDIBLY :):) .. What friggin MORONS !

Great write-up and pictures.
Hey maybe that dock is a floating one,up/down with the tides:)
Way to get them.

Boy do I miss saltwater. I would love to be able to fish it regularly. Heck, more often than once every 2 - 3 years would be great. Those are some nice flounder. Good eating too.

Great report, is that pier condemed? Those pilings are an accident waiting to happen.

Nice compilation report Tom - and of course, what would a TH report be without a few Crappie photos :mrgreen:

Are the ponds less crowded now that everyone and their family is at the inlet?

shamoo said:
Great report, is that pier condemed? Those pilings are an accident waiting to happen.
Its currently closed and has been for a few months but its scheduled to reopen in 3 days . They fenced off 2/3rds of it and removed the lights from the closed section .

Nice report as always Tom. I still have yet to do any saltwater fishing this year. I would love to target some jetty tog once u start to hammer them. I keep an eye out.

how do you get the hooks out of the sharks?

I don't know what I would do if I hooked in to one of those

yall not eat the sandsharks? we used to eat the small blacktips when i lived on the coast but never caught a sandshark

nice catchin

mr.fish said:
Nice report as always Tom. I still have yet to do any saltwater fishing this year. I would love to target some jetty tog once u start to hammer them. I keep an eye out.
Will do Mike :)

russ010 said:

I don't know about him, but when I catch sharks of about that size, I hold their head down with my boot, and remove the hook with a pair of needlenose.

russ010 said:

Believe it or not like this ..
100_0335.jpg

I used to freak people out on the Pier :);)
They are Sand Sharks and have NO teeth .

Loggerhead Mike said:
yall not eat the sandsharks? we used to eat the small blacktips when i lived on the coast but never caught a sandshark

nice catchin
This year you can only keep 1 Sand Shark .. Prior years they were no regulations . I do eat them and find them very tasty , especially grilled with lemon pepper ;)

hengstthomas said:
I used to freak people out on the Pier :);)
They are Sand Sharks and have NO teeth .

you just freaked me out until I read further... that is an awesome picture! I was about to dub you "Hengs Steely Fingers"

This year you can only keep 1 Sand Shark .. Prior years they were no regulations . I do eat them and find them very tasty , especially grilled with lemon pepper

i could kill for a nice slab of that rite now

i can see you running down the pear hollering with your hand stuck down that sharks mouth. that would make great U-tube footage =D>

Nice catchin. sorry i couldnt hook up with you when i was up there, I was at the mercy of my buddy who drove up, only made it out to iri one night.

Latest posts