'67 14' Alumacraft Shallow V and Trailer remodel.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a year and I have some changes/upgrades/mods to make on the trailer and boat.

I dont like the trailer upright guide rails. They dont guide the boat and dont sit above the water when Im loading the boat, plus they are too close to the boat.

I may add a plank to the trialer too. I have to walk the tongue when loading the boat, gets slippery and I have to grap the cable for balance. I also want to replace the cable with a strap, cabel slivers hurt.

I may redo the rear storage boxes. They arent as functional as I would like. Although I still use the main tackle box, maybe Ill get rid of it and just use the smaller boxes.

I need to add a stereo, it gets too quiet and I dont have a way to get the latest weather info.

Seriously considering moving the trolling motor to the bow.

Hey I know it's been a while since the last time you posted but however I was wondering if you had any idea how much everything costed and more importantly how much the deck costed..... Thanks

The deck cost:
3- 2x4x8' @ $2 each.
2- 4x8x3/4" plywood @ $20 each.
1 gallon contact cement- cost, no idea.
package of disposable brushes for contact cement.
carpet was like $50.
Paint I had from my youngest sons Eagle Project. Painted firehydrants. Its an oil based enamel paint. But you can use just about any left over paint to seal the wood.

As far as the flex in your gunnels. You gotta remember. This is an all weld Alumacraft. It's gonna be more rigid than a rivit boat. I don't think you'll have any problems.

I decided to add some bunk sliders to help with my loading problem. I aquired a piece of UHMW
(ultra-high molecular weight polyethelene) form a previous employer. They used it to cover the work benches so teh metal tops wouldn't damage parts during assemble, plus they keep particulate from accumulating and/or getting in/on the parts during assemble. I used my engine hoist to lift the boat and install the sliders. They worked great this past weekend. The boat was loaded for a camping/fishing trip. I camped in a primative site with only two ways in, water or foot. The boat hauled everything great.

Attachments

• 28boatloaded.JPG
    28boatloaded.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 2,482
  • 2sliders2.JPG
    2sliders2.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 2,482
  • 1sliders.JPG
    1sliders.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 2,482
I decided that my engine needed some TLC. I used my engine stand as an engine stand. Yes, my V6/V8 engine stand to hold my boat motor.

I replaced the coils, points, condensers, wires, plugs, rebuilt the carb, replaced the water pump, and pulled the lower unit to check it out. I still have some bugs to work out, thinking my timing is off, and now it wont go in reverse.

Attachments

• 3enginestand.JPG
    3enginestand.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 2,482
tccanoe said:
As far as the flex in your gunnels. You gotta remember. This is an all weld Alumacraft. It's gonna be more rigid than a rivit boat. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Actually this boat is 100% rivited. and no, flexing has not been a problem.

If you dont mind me asking what is the max weight capacity of your boat? just curious because i have a boat that is basically the same dimensions that i would like to mod.

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!! This is almost exactly what I want to do, with a boat that is pretty similar.

Nice job!!

I will be referring to this thread A LOT!!

Snag_826 said:
If you dont mind me asking what is the max weight capacity of your boat? just curious because i have a boat that is basically the same dimensions that i would like to mod.

I believe its 575 pounds.

mcdonl said:
HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!! This is almost exactly what I want to do, with a boat that is pretty similar.

Nice job!!

Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions. Start up a thread of your own. We all like to follow along.

Hanr3 said:
mcdonl said:

Nice job!!

Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions. Start up a thread of your own. We all like to follow along.

I have one going (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18097) but I am asking more questions than posting progress so it is not getting much response.... I am at the planning stage still... until I saw this thread I really had no idea....

Luv the pic of the boat loaded up with camping gear. My wife and I took a similar trip last year (another one planned for this year) and my boat literally looked like the truck in the Beverly Hillbillies loaded up with everything but the living furniture!

BaitCaster said:
Luv the pic of the boat loaded up with camping gear. My wife and I took a similar trip last year (another one planned for this year) and my boat literally looked like the truck in the Beverly Hillbillies loaded up with everything but the living furniture!

One of my favorite camping trips. Planning on several more this year. The best part, you get that middle of no-where feeling, yet still in the middle of Illinois. Post up pics of your trip. I'd love to see them.

great lookin boat man i was just wondering what was the thickness of the 1 1/4 angle aluminum and how did u rivet it on to the littil tunnel things on the floor

I love this mod. I'm starting a 1954 Model K right now (16' version of your boat). I plan to liberally borrow ideas from your build :lol:

Oh yeah, where did you camp in Illinois? I'm in Joliet, always looking for somewhere good to go in this state to get away from it.