70’s Starcraft 14’ Seafarer “By Golly”

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that lower unit was pretty much the same from the late 1950's till the late 70's or so. It shouldn't be too hard to find a good used one to have on hand just in case. Since your lower half is good, you can likely find one even cheaper that's got a broken skeg. Something that's pretty common here.

I think that lower unit was pretty much the same from the late 1950's till the late 70's or so. It shouldn't be too hard to find a good used one to have on hand just in case. Since your lower half is good, you can likely find one even cheaper that's got a broken skeg. Something that's pretty common here.
I definitely keep an eye out on a few online marketplaces. I have looked at, and found, inexpensive parts motors from years close to mine, but I was never able to confirm cross-compatibility with 100% certainty. Once or twice I saw exact match motors, but they were fairly far away. It would be nice to have an extra sitting handy if I needed it.

Glad you circled back to share the results. That was a pretty impressive (and encouraging) patch you made.

Thanks LDUBS! It's not the easiest motor to replace, being short-shaft, electric start, and remote steering (for an early Johnson anyway), so fixing was ideal. I'm really happy that it's held up. I'll actually be salmon fishing out of it later today and tomorrow!

I like the little hatch in front of the shifter. There is always a some little glovebox type stuff that needs to be put somewhere.

Looking forward to hearing more about the "notch". I have a guess, but ain't sharing! :LOL2:

I just noticed that I never follow up regarding the "notch" in the side console. I don't have a good picture of it, but that notch holds a carpeted insert which supports my trolling motor when it is in the stored position. When I go to launch the boat, I can remove and stow the support piece so it's not in the way.

I just noticed that I never follow up regarding the "notch" in the side console. I don't have a good picture of it, but that notch holds a carpeted insert which supports my trolling motor when it is in the stored position. When I go to launch the boat, I can remove and stow the support piece so it's not in the way.

Aw, that makes sense. Best not have the TM bouncing around while towing the boat. I made a TM stabilizer out of a piece of PVC pipe that sits in a flush mount rod holder.