77 duracraft 16ft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
That's after everything is removed and ready for the new aluminum transom to be put on.
I've been doing some looking around and think of how to do my livewell and I read on one of the forums to use an rv tank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-camper-trailer-16-GALLON-FRESH-WATER-TANK-NEW-FDA-approved-free-shipping-/351085634535?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51be55a3e7&vxp=mtr

So that's what I came up with. I am going to place the live well towards the back across to me where I would be driving to counter balance the weight out. I'm going with huntinfool & buckethead on this one.

I'm sure I don't have to ask but please post some pics of the new transom when it's finished. My boat has a 15" transom and I'm thinking I may do the same next year and make it a 20".

I like the RV tank too, looks like it has pre threaded holes which will make installation of your plumbing easy.

Let's discuss your username for a second, does it reference you being a new dad of triplets or are you prior service Navy? Not that it's any business of mine just wondering.

If it were me, I get the tank you want for a live well and fill it with water. Get your motor mounted and battery and your fuel tank. Load your fishing gear and add another person and get it on the water. See what it does. Maybe you can move it forward, maybe not. That would be the best test. I just know some of these smaller twins loaded down and two guys have a harder time planing. Once you figure out the best spot for everything, you'll have a better idea what you will need to build.

Again JMHO.

As for the tank, I see no problem with that, should work great. I had an old camper that I robbed the tank from for that same purpose. I ended up with another boat and didn't have to do that project, but I did have plans to do it.

Lol well its because of me going to be a dad of triplets. My family has been busting jokes about the triplets and they know I love to fish so the name went together. My wife is having two boys and a girl. None of them are identical so they have there own placentas. Sorry to get so graffic. But that kinda explains it. As for the transom i will most definently post some pictures. I've been reading a lot of different forums and the thing I love most is pictures. So I will have a lot on this build. As for the live well my gas tank is build in the bow of the boat so I think the best way to have it is put it in the same spot that it was in the back. I'm going today to get my angle I'm using 1-1/2x1-1/2 1/8 thick. I'm getting it for $22.40 a stick (20ft).

May sound stupid but I think I have an idea instead of doing a wood transom. Idea what if you did aluminum square tubing like in the photo instead of wood? Do you think it would still hold up? Stronger then the wood? Won't rot!! Just do it the same thickness and weld it all together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 833
Well as a father of 5 I can appreciate your situation. I hope all goes well for you and your family. Huntinfool, that's a great idea to test your boat and how it's gonna do, I used cinder blocks to simulate batteries and a cooler of beer as a livewell. I know it seems a bit redneck but they were pretty accurate. Something else I've done is insulate my rear livewell with 1" styrofoam on all sides including the lid, it makes a great cooler if were out for a casual boat ride.

I had the same idea for a while, I was going to order some of that 2 part structural foam to fill the space inside each tube after they're welded in place. It's a bullet proof solution in my opinion.

I am going to talk to the guys at the fab shop and see how much they would charge to do it. I'm hoping it wont be a crazy amount. Shouldn't be to much more than marine plywood glue and then resin. I think that's the rout I'm going to go instead of the wood you never have to change it again.

Yep! Do it one time. And they'll be able to tell you if your idea will be strong enough to support your outboard. What I also am considering is multiple sheets of say 1/8" aluminum cut the same size as the transom then glued or epoxied together, sort of an aluminum plywood, that along with good knee braces and corner braces you could hang a cummins diesel off of it.

boats in the shop to get the transom replaced and I talked to the fab guy and he is going to do something different instead of my ideas. he agreed that box tubing will be the best way to go and never have to replace wood again. I should have the boat back next week or maybe the end of this week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 794
I like the boat! You should probly mount a few feeding chairs for next year while your at it! ;) The transom idea is intriguing. I'm interested in seeing how that will turn out!

Ya I'll need that. The guy at the shop seemed to think that will work. I don't think there should be any issue with it. If this does work and I hope it does I have a feeling a lot more people will be doing this. I am just trying to get away from wood. No wood no rot no big repairs!!

I'll definitely have my transom replaced before I hang a bigger motor on it. The oak is plenty strong but the pitted aluminum is a little concerning. I'm actually a little excited to see how it comes out.

You may have mentioned in an earlier post but what sue motor do you have?

I'm running a 40hp yamaha enduro tiller. Ya I think this aluminum brace will work out really good. Save money aggravation and time. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it back.

Question. How do you paint aluminum? I have read so many different ways and just want someone to explain what I need and how to do it and what paint to use.

I cleaned it with soap and water to remove dirt and oils, wiped it down with a rag and starting fluid then primed it with rustoleum self etching primer. Some guys on this forum use acetone instead is starting fluid, I've always used it for cleaning parts and removing grime, it works pretty good. I'd say if you do something along those lines you should be fine.

The rustoleum self etching primer comes in a rattle can as well as a quart can to roll or brush on, whatever works for you.

Ok cool sounds simple enough. And particular kind of paint oiled based or any thing? I've heard to get uv paint does all paint come with that? I was thinking of using this paint https://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/majicreg%3B-town--country-tractor-truck--implement-1-gal-m-f-gray?cm_vc=-10005

Let me know if that will work

I've been following your thread here and when it got to the part about rebuilding the transom, I started thinking. A few days ago I was in Home Depot, and ran across some 12"x24" aluminum diamond plating and thought to my self. That just might work on the outside, rather than new wood. (I recently pulled off the old wood on mine to replace). and thought I could just leave it polished the way it is and have good looks and good strength.. Just a thought. I really need to get a thread going on my own mods :)

[-X you cant tell me how sweet it is and not post pictures. I'm glad that's working out for you. I'm just surprised no one has really tried this before I really don't see a reason why it wouldn't work instead of plywood.

Any particular kind of paint oiled based or any thing? I've heard to get uv paint does all paint come with that? I was thinking of using this paint https://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/maj ... _vc=-10005

Not sure on the UV, it's just a primer until it got covered by the Eco-tread. Time will tell how it's going to work, so far I'm happy, it's water based, non toxic and went on real easy. I had the boat sitting in the sun on Saturday, it was hot for sure but you could put your hand on it and keep it there. Hopefully we'll be on the river this weekend and see how it does with a little mud and fish slime.

Y J, please post some pictures, you've got my curiosity up.

Latest posts