A conversion like you've never seen before...16' Performer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishinnut said:
How did the livewell work out? I used a similar style tub and water splashes over the sides when the boat rocks from large wakes of passing boats.

Thats a good point, i havent finished it yet, but i was planning on either a foam or rubber seal on the underside of both lids so that water wont splash out.

that boat would not have been my choice to build on. Maybe thats why my wife calls me a dumb ***. You did a great job on it, and have opened many peoples eyes to what can be done with a little thought and effort. Well Done Sir!!!!!!! =D>

Great Job! =D>
2 Questions though; Not to be a wet blanket but, how do you know for sure whether the transom on that old of a fiberglass boat isn't rotted? I used to dabble in fiberglass boats like that but as of late, I've moved away from them because it's difficult to see if the transom or some other vital wood part of the boat has rot forming or not. It's easy with a Aluminum boat to tell (I.e. Transom) & to replace. Not so much with fiberglass. Plus, they're harder on gas pulling TO & FROM the lake & harder on fuel while ON the lake than aluminum. 2) Why did you go with OSB chip board for decking instead of treated 3/4" ply? It's a fact that OSB stuff turns to CRAP when exposed to any kind of weather & wetness (swells) for any length of time (even a small crack in your waterproofing could spell trouble). Nice fish btw.

Hey what an awesome build. I love the lay out and the use of bins framed in for storage / livewell purposes.

How do you find the OSB board holds up in the rain or water? Did you treat it with anything? Has it warped or rotted at all?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=302087#p302087 said:
Stefan » 26 Feb 2013, 19:35[/url]"]Hey what an awesome build. I love the lay out and the use of bins framed in for storage / livewell purposes.

How do you find the OSB board holds up in the rain or water? Did you treat it with anything? Has it warped or rotted at all?

I treated and coated the osb in a sealant. I've been using OSB for years and I've never had a problem with it rotting, warping, or anything like that. I use osb becuase its thin, strong and affordable. Something to think about next time you doubt the durability of osb, most homes are made out of osb.

Really like what you did with this old ski boat. Like you said, there are plenty of them for sale and they are real cheap. I seriously thought about getting one and converting it to a bass boat but decided on a tin instead. Seeing this post makes me want to go ahead and try it. Any idea how much the boat weighs? I only ask because I have to consider weight for towing purposes.

Again, great job!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319891#p319891 said:
wwcenturion » 23 Jun 2013, 15:08[/url]"]Really like what you did with this old ski boat. Like you said, there are plenty of them for sale and they are real cheap. I seriously thought about getting one and converting it to a bass boat but decided on a tin instead. Seeing this post makes me want to go ahead and try it. Any idea how much the boat weighs? I only ask because I have to consider weight for towing purposes.

Again, great job!

I have no idea, all i know is it was heavy to begin with, I added about 150lbs to it, maybe 200lbs...with 4 people in the boat it was still able to get up on plane. I was towing it with a chevy silverado 1500, but i did tow it once with a GMC Jimmy V6 and it towed fine.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I'm glad that i was able to inspire some of u...This entire website, including all of your guys' work, has been an inspiration to me.