Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the Anchor Mates installed. It was a little tricky mounting the davits. I didn't want the anchors to be hitting the boat or any screws through the sides.

They worked just fine when we fished last weekend. Fishing total electric is turning out to be really enjoyable. I have lost "the need for speed", and it is nice fishing without someone seeing how close they can get with a jet ski.

Attachments

• Anchor Front 004.jpg
    Anchor Front 004.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,953
  • Anchor 007.jpg
    Anchor 007.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 3,952
  • Anchor Front 005.jpg
    Anchor Front 005.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,953
  • Anchor Rear 001.jpg
    Anchor Rear 001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,951
  • Anchor Rear 002.jpg
    Anchor Rear 002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,952
WOW, that is a nice setup you have, clean and sharp. =D> X2 on the front deck, looks roomy and functional.

Thanks. One thing about fishing basically with one person for the past 15 years is you get a pretty good idea about what works for the way you like to fish. We also planned this project for about a year before starting it.

I've been looking to buy a 1648 but I've been undecided between Alumacraft and Lowe. I was liking the Lowe because of the livewell but it don't look to functional without a lot of work. Plus it makes it hard to cover the bench. But I like how you stored the batteries in the bench compartment. Does it make it less stable having the batteries towards the center of the boat rather than closer to the edges? And I also like how you were able to cover the bench and install a seat without losing the storage area.

Thanks. The boat is very stable with the batteries toward the center. I think it is more important to have the weight of any thing heavy in the boat equally distributed from the centerline. I don't know that makes any difference mounting them inboard or outboard as long as they are equal distance from the centerline. Alumacraft calls the box below the center seat storage, but in fact it could have been converted into a live well. We owned a 1999 Lowe SC166 Fishing Machine, and really liked it and would still have it now had it not been run over by a 21' Lund while fishing in Minnesota back in 2005, but that is another story. I'm sure you would happy with the Lowe.

The reason we bought the Alumacraft is that's the brand that the marina we deal with sells. Our big decision was whether to get this model or the NCS (no center seat) model that Alumacraft has and deck it in low with a pedestal seat in the center. We basically pan fish and my fishing partner (wife) is uncomfortable sitting up on a casting deck. We decided to go with this model for the enclosed battery storage.

The neat thing about these projects is you can built the boat for what works for you.

I like that batteries can be stored in the seat and will save floor space. It'll work out nice because my fishing buddy, my 4yr old son, will have obe less this to mess with. :)

Gillhunter, I haven't even noticed your location till now. The crappie have been on fire at yargo the last cpl weeks, let me know next time you go, i was out last night and plan to go tonight as well.

blueultra2 said:
I've been looking to buy a 1648 but I've been undecided between Alumacraft and Lowe. I was liking the Lowe because of the livewell but it don't look to functional without a lot of work. Plus it makes it hard to cover the bench. But I like how you stored the batteries in the bench compartment. Does it make it less stable having the batteries towards the center of the boat rather than closer to the edges? And I also like how you were able to cover the bench and install a seat without losing the storage area.

Its hard to beat the price of the Alumacraft 1648 NCS or the one with the center storage seat in this thread. I think they are the only brand to offer a 1648 NCS in a riveted hull. All the others are welded and at least $600.00 more. Lowes are nice too but they dont offer the NCS in a rivete hull..

You can also get the Alumacraft with a 15" or a 20" transom.

Nice rig, I too have a Alumacraft 1648, mine is a NCS. Still working on my mod,s. Welcome to Ga and hope to see you out on the local lakes.

Thanks Howard. We really have been enjoying the boat and been catching some fish. It has been very relaxing fishing the smaller lakes and not having to deal with jet skis, etc.

Can you explain in detail how you mounted those anchor mates? I've looked and looked at them but I can't quite figure out how you did it.

Mojo^

The winches are just screwed through the seats with stainless screws. The davit mounts are made from 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together, painted black and then clear coated with poly. My objective was to mount the davits without putting holes through the hull, and not having the anchors banging the side of the boat. I just cut and fit them until they were a shape that worked for me.

Attachments

• Anchor Front 005.jpg
    Anchor Front 005.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,191
  • Anchor Front 006.jpg
    Anchor Front 006.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,191
  • Anchor Rear 001.jpg
    Anchor Rear 001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 3,191
  • Anchor Rear 002.jpg
    Anchor Rear 002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,191
  • Anchor Rear 003.jpg
    Anchor Rear 003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,191
Just about done with this project, (well maybe). We had intended to get a 9.9 engine when we planned the boat so we could fish either total electric or 10hp restricted lakes locally, or any other small water that we wanted to. We decided on a Honda 9.9 4-stroke with electric start. We were able to get out yesterday for a couple of hours to start to break-in the engine. I was happy with the way it ran. This is our first tiller boat in 15 years as well as our first Honda.

Attachments

• 090211Honda_002.jpg
    090211Honda_002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3,152
  • 090211Honda_005.jpg
    090211Honda_005.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,152
  • 090211Honda_007.jpg
    090211Honda_007.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,152
Very nice, those Honda's look sharp =D> I know you're still in the break in period, but did it/do you think it will get your boat onto plane?

Thanks, I think we are going to enjoy the Honda, seems pretty well built. We ran the motor long enough in the break in cycle that we could run at WOT for very short periods of time. It kinda does, the hull lifts, but nothing like my last boat that had a 90 that would plane with most of the hull out of the water. Scoots the boat at about 15 mph with me and the wife and gear, which means I can get to any portion of the lakes I fish in less than 5 minutes. If I weren't concerned about fishing in 10hp restricted lakes I would have put at least a 15 on it. I'm the kind of guy that gets nailed whenever I break the rules #-o so that's why the 9.9.

Very nice! I'm new to the site and was looking into getting the MV1448. I'm just loving this thread! Thinking I should the 1648 instead! Great Job!!!!

Thanks for the comments. I have really enjoyed this site and this project. We are going to pull it back to Indiana in a couple of weeks to take my folks fishing for a few days.