Alumacraft FDR Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
So after lurking on the forum for a little while I decided that it was time to start my project. I got the boat for free from my uncle and have been fishing it for a few years, but the motor needs some lower end work and I figured that I could get a jump on next spring right now. I've already stripped the seats out and found the leaking rivets. Trying to decide between aluminum or wood framing.
th_DSC04536.jpg

th_DSC04543.jpg

th_DSC04544.jpg

th_DSC04545.jpg

th_DSC04546.jpg

acabtp said:
what does the FDR mod include? a wheelchair ramp? :mrgreen:
Just a budget. Didn't want to do anything to expensive for my first build. :lol:

So I got some more work done today after I discovered two holes in the bottom that were in the middle of a rib. #-o I fixed those and replaced the leaking rivets.
DSC04570-1.jpg

DSC04572-1.jpg

DSC04573-1.jpg

I also stripped/wire wheeled the 4 coats of old paint off.
DSC04553-1.jpg

I'm now pondering how to keep the back seam from seeping. I thought about using marine-tex but I don't know if that will fix it or not, I do plan on using Gluvit on the inside of the seams but having never used either of these products I don't know what route to take. ](*,) Any thoghts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also I did not build the trailer, :oops: I did weld the axle and used some old caravan hubs.

Looks like you are making good progress on the boat. It's amazing the difference a fresh coat of paint makes. What part of Wisconsin are you in?

Eau Claire actually. I didn't even realize that's where you are when I went through your thread. Is that Lake Altoona where you are putting your boat in?

Great progress so far. The hull looks a good bit like my restored 15' Alumacraft that I converted into a flats skiff, but it's a newer one than mine. Keep us updated on the interior plans and progress.

Salty Dawg said:
Great progress so far. The hull looks a good bit like my restored 15' Alumacraft that I converted into a flats skiff
Yeah it sure does, nice job on your build by the way. I haven't seen a whole lot of these 14 footers with a splash well either.

I did manage to get most of the framing done over the weekend, just the front to do now. I ended up using 2x2's cause they were free. Keep in mind I'm no carpenter.
DSC04643.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04645.jpg

DSC04646.jpg

DSC04647.jpg

I decided that I did not like the way that I had the cooler set, so I reconfigured it. Feels like I'm starting to get on the home stretch.
DSC04670.jpg

DSC04671.jpg

DSC04688.jpg

DSC04687.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

paint turned out great!! really looks like brand new boat. your is coming together very nicely i really like the false floor sure makes a v hull much nicer to walk around in! cant wait to see it completed. keep up the good work.

Thanks, I'm excited to not have to crawl over bench seats anymore as well. Hopefully I get it finished soon. I'm going to try to get it out this weekend for a little while to see how she does.

Latest posts