Alumacraft MV1448 Seadoo IB jet, Still jetting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap, forgot to subtract the weight of aluminum added from the additional buoyancy to give a true number. Hard to judge surface area, but you get a good idea. As long as there's more air in there than metal you're adding to the boat:)

Ok :shock:

Here's some more numbers to play with. The pods are 14"x20" at the top, 14"x14" at the bottom, 12" tall. My 'problem' is if the kid fishes off the right rear side of the boat the troller cavitates like crazy. It doesn't help the the port side is missing it's battery (left it go with the glass boat) and the fuel tank is on the right rear.

That's a lot of lift at 6" of displacement with a 14" length. Currently they are 18" long but I want to trim them back flush with the pump nozzle.

Jamie

More like 412 lbs floatation and additional 187 lbs additional buoyancy. Might be a little off, wasn't writing anything down. Combine that flotation with the foam under that bench and you may not need any extra. Can always test it by crank the wheel hard one day;)
Jesse

That's a lot of floatation. Funny thing is I can bury the inside rear corner underwater cranking it hard on step now. Usually that's how I come off plane at the ramp, then launch over the wake. I wonder how the pods will affect the steering, hopefully not at all on plane.

As a side note I got my WOLO air horns yesterday and they sound great. Going to mount them on the side of the console once I make a plate to hold them squared up.

Jamie

You may not have to trim them down. Cut the inboard wall from the bottom, crank the jet to one side and angle in the inboard wall to match the angle of the jet. Mark, trim, and weld it to the bottom. Lather, rinse, repeat for the other side.

Floatation pods day two...

Slow going, it's 92` in the garage and the aluminum heats up quick. So far I've fitted the right hand end cap after trimming both pods to length. I'm pretty happy with the fit and how it's turning out. I decided to make a final bent cap instead of trimming and fitting the two other pieces to get the correct radius. I think this will turn out nicer.

Some pics.

I chose to keep the rear angle instead of get too fancy. I didn't like the look of the flat pods, feeling they were too deep. I like them being even with the nozzle and it'll make fitting the ride plate easier.
P1010141.jpg

P1010142.jpg

Jamie

Day 2 at 4:40pm...

First pod is done, took some pics since I need a break. Aluminum crap is everywhere. Took a while to trim and fit the corner. lots of plastic hammer work to fine tune the corner. Seems to have turned out pretty good.

Enjoy.
P1010143.jpg

P1010144.jpg

P1010145.jpg

P1010146.jpg

I used an air hose to feel for leaks, had to rewled a bit of the bottm but otherwise no leakers yet.

Back to it...
Jamie

Pods day 2 at 9:13pm. Just got back from the water. I have a different boat now. It handles at least as well and runs at least as well as the shorter version. It came off plane smoothly and drifted a good fifty yards after chopping the throttle before it deplaned. Before it slowed violently. I had also opened the high speed jets to one full turn and the plugs are just starting to darken up. I need to know how much larger to go on the main jets and also how far open the high speed screw is effective? I've read three turns. We were seeing 6700rpm tonight.

Pics from once we got the boat outside.
P1010147.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

It leaked and we put around 10 gallons in the boat while trying to fish. Coming back down the boat porposed bad with all that water out back but once the bilge pump cleared most of it we were ok again. I'm getting a float setup next. With the big kid up front we were able to shoot a nice rooster tail but the boat ran much better with the nozzle slightly down. We are hitting 54mph now, not sure if it's because the sender was in a different spot or the A/F being richer, or even the pods being back there. They do affect the water flow and they did hold the rear up much better than before. we were ghosting through some shallows and the only thing that rubbed was the bottom of the spoon

Tomorrow evening I hope to hit it again with a sealed hull and see how it does. We got some thumbs up coming down through the channel behind the first island when we blew by some guys in a 10-12' jon anchor fishing the channel (no lights again). I really like that this boat doesn't make much wake.

Jamie

Wow man, I missed this mod somewhere along the way. Those pods look sweet and hitting 54mph in a tin boat is pretty awesome as well. Looks good man. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comp cav. Didn't get to hit the water this evening, had a Bday party to attend that ran late. I did stop at Wally world this morning and picked up a bilge pump float from Attwood that's actually made in the USA. Speeking of which I noticed the air horns are also made in USA. What's the world coming too?

Tomorrow, clean up the garage (again) and try to get the float installed as well as the disconnect switch (made in CHINA)

Should be interesting.
Jamie

Got my battery disconnect in the mail so now it's mounted. It's the cheep Chinese one so I hope it doesn't smoke after a year's use, but for $7.50 including shipping it's hard to beat. Supposed to be good to 100a..

P1010150.jpg

P1010151.jpg

P1010152.jpg

Also scored a new troller:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140443156809&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Paid with the card to get it here quicker, might see it Friday thanks to UPS's slow ground shipping.

Jamie

Added a little bling today. These things are rediculously loud. Still need to mount the compressor and wire them. I may or may not paint them tan and plan on getting some decent hose. I used an oval grommet from a parts car and punched two holes in it for the air lines to pass through.

P1010153.jpg

P1010154.jpg

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Got my battery disconnect in the mail so now it's mounted. It's the cheep Chinese one so I hope it doesn't smoke after a year's use, but for $7.50 including shipping it's hard to beat. Supposed to be good to 100a..

Looks just like the one I put in the Minnow Bucket a few years back, it hasn't given me any trouble...

I've had three different boats out on the water at night without light scare the bejesus out of me so far this year. A couple years ago I almost went over a 14' flatbottom in the middle of the channel after dark without lights in my glass boat at 25mph. When it's dark you can't see olive drab on the water unless you are running down a backlit section. There are places where the channel is 15' wide where I run now and you have to be on plane to get through it. I do run a handheld spotlight at night and the horn will help at the blind corners behind the islands...

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:

What is the purpose(s) of battery switches? The on/off ones, not the battery selector ones. I know what it does technically speaking, but why is it needed? To keep battery drain at bay? To enable a safe way to work on the boat's electronics by shutting off power? My boat has them (installed by the previous user) and they are looking pretty beat. I am not sure if I should proactively replace them or not. They are working fine I guess but the knobs have come off. This is the only reason I have considered replacing them.

KRS

Battery isolation, in my case the Seadoo electronics is draining the battery. Probably the voltage regulator or the Mpem module. I also like that I don't have to unscrew the battery terminals now.

Bit of an update, decided to mount the stern light holders in the fuel tank well under the lid. Welded a 1/8" thick peice of flat stock so the threads have something to grab into. The sheetmetal screws that came with the munts pulled right through so I used 5mm stainless allen bolts.
P1010155.jpg

I also remounted the stern light mount back in the floatation pod and even mounted the bilge pump float switch. Cleaned up the wiring mess back there as well.
P1010156.jpg

And finally two pics of the troller that I'm going to sell since I have the new electric steer one coming.
P1010157.jpg

P1010158.jpg

Going fishing this evening, should be an interesting trip after the rains and overcast skies.

Jamie

Pics from this evening:

Little one wanted to stay home so the oldest and I hit the water around 5:30.
P1010159.jpg

At the ramp the hull only draws about 3" without us in it and we have touched at 5" water depth loaded.
P1010160.jpg

55.2mph, great for slicked back hair and bugs splattered on your teeth.
P1010161.jpg

P1010162.jpg

Four miles away, ran out of water. There's a 3' drop below dam 5. There's an old railroad bridge at the top of the picture.
P1010164.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010166.jpg

The way upriver. I need to walk that before I run the boat up through it.
P1010167.jpg

Hope to go back out tomorrow evening. We went through the quarry area and all the way to the islands without touching bottom. I'm really happy with the boat. Did pretty good fishing as well.

Jamie