aluminum boat paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now heres another question. I am trying to determine how much paint to buy. With it being a standard flat bottom jon boat.......should I buy 1 or 2 gallons of paint? I know I can always return the second if I don't need it. Would like to do two coats

also, if you could answer this. As I am sanding some spots down, i am sanding off some type of bondo/filler, leaving a crater that now needs to be filled again. Can anyone suggest a cheap/good aluminum filler?

A gallon should be plenty. If you are brush painting it should be more than enough and you should have some left over if you are spraying. If you are doing different colors, I might consider getting quarts especially if you are brush painting.

They do make "metal" based plastic body fillers but I do think regular bondo should suffice. Do not take my word though, read the can.

Since this is your first time painting I do think it's still a good idea to practice some, maybe on a high wear area like the floor. It's a good idea on the floor to use a light to neutral color. Light gray would be good. White is cool in the sun but may reflect too much sun, giving sun burns or for lack of a better term, "snow blindness". Black is too dang hot. A neutral, gray, green, blue would be about right. You want a color for the inside that will not burn or blind you.,

thank you for the reply again......

I am actually going to carpet the floors. the only things that will be painted are the walls of the boat and all of the exterior. does this change anything?

OK, can anyone argue this point? At the time that I was asking these questions, I went directly to the source and asked about the paint I had in mind of using. (Majik)

This is what they just replied with:

Thank you for your inquiry at majicpaints.com.

Although the All-Purpose Enamel, Interior/Exterior, Oil Base Gloss is an excellent product that was formulated for exterior exposure, I would not recommend applying it to your aluminum boat. The amount of water exposure would cause the paint to eventually peel.

We do not provide to Tractor Supply any coating that would be acceptable for boats.

Thank you for your interest in our product line and can be of additional assistance, contact me at the numbers listed below.

Regards,

](*,)

In response to your question regarding water exposure allowing the paint to peel, I don't think you'll have a problem unless you plan to leave your boat docked in the water all summer. If the only time your boat will be in water is when your actually fishing and you store your boat on the trailer water exposure shouldn't be an issue. MANY on here have painted with standard rustoleum oil based enamel with no issues in regards to water exposure. I think the only paint that is truly made for prolonged water exposure is the rather expensive marine specific paint. But unless your painting a $50,000 cabin cruiser or something, I don't think the extra expense for marine paint is worth it for an aluminum jon boat.

As far as coverage goes you'll probably need more than a gallon, especially if your doing the entire boat. How big is your boat? I'm getting my 1648 mod v prepped for paint right now. I'm using Parker Duck Boat paint and applying through a HVLP spray gun. IIRC Parker told me to expect about 300 square foot of coverage per gallon with spraying. I have 1 gallon + 1 quart. Not sure that will be enough to do my eintire boat. Hopefully I'll have the outside hull painted by next weekend. I'll let you know how the coverage works out if you still haven't ordered your paint by then.

which is exactly what I was told by scrapboat. But once I heard directly from Majic, I second guessed everyone. I should have hit delete when I had the chance and refused to read the email!! :)

My boat never sits in the water unless I am fishing. It's always on a trailer, in the garage.

I will be stopping in at tractor supply this weekend and buy the paint. I can always buy two gallons and if i don't use it, i can return it. It's a standard red gloss paint, so its not a custom mixture made just for me.

My boat is 14' long, will be completely carpeted inside except 3-4" on the side, where I will have red paint to match the exterior. I am still debating whether or not to paint the very bottom of the exterior black, then paint the rest of the boat red. may end up doing all red, but i am still thinking that one through.