And So It Begins sbarcewski 1448 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbarcewski

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger this AM on a 1448 shallow-V (right terminology I think), fella said it was made by Montgomery Ward years ago. Main use will be duck hunting and then pulling back up duty on the bigger ponds small lakes in the area to get the boy out after some fish. Right now thinking of small decks up front and in back with a removable bench for hunting. For fishing go with the standard pedestal seats and and storage. When I get her home tomorrow I'll get some pics and layouts posted up. Hope you guys are up for a slew of questions!

Scott

Got her into the Father-in-law's garage today. I have it all to myself until he comes up to stay this summer. The work starts tomorrow on the tear down. Hope the picture shows up.

SN850689-1.jpg

SN850686-1.jpg

She appears to be in pretty good shape. Any thoughts yet on your color scheme or power options?

Looking forward to seeing the removable bench; sounds like a really good idea.

I'm going to Steel Flex the bottom and Mossy Oak Shadow Grass the rest (inside and out). Can you paint over Steel Flex?
Most likely gonna stick with a big Trolling Motor and not do a gas, but my Dad does have a 7.5 or 9hp sitting around if I want to use it.

Scott

Got all the hardware and seats out today. Also started stripping some of the interior paint and bedliner. I figure 1-2 days of that work and should be ready for the next step (interior framing I think). Should I work on the decking next or flip her over and strip the outside next? Also what are your recomendations for Transom wood.

SN850690.jpg

SN850691.jpg

SN850692.jpg

Looks like a sweet project.

IMHO I would strip and paint when its hollow/empty first. Deck it last, the boat is lighter to handle this way

Man that's one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen!!!!.I'ts easy for me to say that because I own a 1973' SeaKing 14'x48" also. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress They're cool little boats weighing about 90lbs stock,making them real easy to cartop. Mine has a 63'Johnson 18hp she'll run 25 to 28mph when the wind, the water, and she and I feel like it. 8) Just from looking I'd say yours might be a little earlier edition than mine {a good thing!!looks like some of your boats parts are beefier than mine} .transom{mines straight across},rear grab handles }mine mount on the back of transom}, seat braces{yours are cast alum mine are alum flat strap},and front alum deck {shaped a little different} other than that we've got the same boat ............................... Keep up the good work and good luck........Ray 8) 8) 8)

Deconstruction is almost done! Need to flip it over and strip the bottom. Then it is off to the welder to get a few things repaired and/or re-inforced. Went with Locust for the transom (My wood guy says it would be stronger and better. It's coated in 3 coats of Fiberglass Resin)

SN850698.jpg

SN850699.jpg

SN850697.jpg

SN850696.jpg

Latest posts