anybody have a mid or early 80's johnson/evinrude 25\30hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegr8cody

Reaction score
Im replacing my charge coil and timerbase. Well i checked the wiring before removing the pins for the charge coil and they were color coded. Got my wires ran and then jumped the gun and pulled my wires for the timerbase before checking..... So now i have two empty holes and dont know which pin goes in which hole. If anyone.can help me out its the bottom two pins on the powerpack plug. Theres three on top and two on bottom. Thanks

thegr8cody said:
Im replacing my charge coil and timerbase. Well i checked the wiring before removing the pins for the charge coil and they were color coded. Got my wires ran and then jumped the gun and pulled my wires for the timerbase before checking..... So now i have two empty holes and dont know which pin goes in which hole. If anyone.can help me out its the bottom two pins on the powerpack plug. Theres three on top and two on bottom. Thanks

I would go to the CDI website and look-up the power pack for your motor. The installation/troubleshooting procedure will show the pin diagram. Here's an example...
https://www.cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/IS-113-2285.pdf

Consult the following to look-up others...
https://www.cdielectronics.com/AppGuide.aspx

Good luck.

Thanks, i looked it up but i face the same problem. Both wores are black and white. Both have the same amount of black and white lol. Its telling me left is white/black and right is black/white. Just my luck

Got it figured out, dug the old timerbase out the trash and looked at the wires on it. I dont know why i didnt think of that earlier. Torqued the flywheel down and noticed my throttle was stuck. So fooled around trying.to figuring it out. Took the flywheel back off. Aparently when i was tightening the charge coil it scooted out and was catching the flywheel. Well in the process the eye piece that is at the end of the throttle managed to break. Just my luck. Looks like she will not be fired up today

thegr8cody said:
Got it figured out, dug the old timerbase out the trash and looked at the wires on it. I dont know why i didnt think of that earlier. Torqued the flywheel down and noticed my throttle was stuck. So fooled around trying.to figuring it out. Took the flywheel back off. Aparently when i was tightening the charge coil it scooted out and was catching the flywheel. Well in the process the eye piece that is at the end of the throttle managed to break. Just my luck. Looks like she will not be fired up today

FYI in case you didnt know, torque that flywheel nut to 100-105lbs no more and no less
good luck!

shawnfish said:
thegr8cody said:

FYI in case you didnt know, torque that flywheel nut to 100-105lbs no more and no less
good luck!

Thanks for all the help. Once i put the flywheel back on i noticed it was actually hittin my timerbase/pickup. So moved it back and.kept sitting the flywheel back on to check clearance. Took two or three times. But decided to fire it up anyways controlling throttle from the side of the motor and Voila! Ran it for about 10 minutes on the muffs. Shut it off and fired it back up a few times and no problems. Just have to fix the tiller/throttle eyelit

thegr8cody said:
I got to thinking about that, and if both wires are the same color it would lead me to think that there was no polarity and it wouldn't matter which wire went to which hole. But curiosity got the best of me so I had to ask, what was the solution when you looked at the old unit?

thegr8cody said:
shawnfish said:
thegr8cody said:

good luck!

Thanks for all the help. Once i put the flywheel back on i noticed it was actually hittin my timerbase/pickup. So moved it back and.kept sitting the flywheel back on to check clearance. Took two or three times. But decided to fire it up anyways controlling throttle from the side of the motor and Voila! Ran it for about 10 minutes on the muffs. Shut it off and fired it back up a few times and no problems. Just have to fix the tiller/throttle eyelit

remember running and idleing on muffs does not mean your good to go. theres a big difference between the muffs and on the lake, dont expect it to run the same when you put it in the water. always make final adjustments when motor is warmed up and on the lake...

On the old one the wires were distinguishable. I could tell which was black and white and which was white and black so i just assumed it was the same for the new one

I know getting it on the lake and putting under a load is different than muffs. Its already doing better than it was. Before anything more than 2-3 minutes on the muffs and it would die... On the days it would actually start